Lowering a Tarago

Becker

Has anyone lowered a Tarago van?

I've got a 2005 Tarago and would like to find out if it's possible, I'm sure it is. What it would cost? How low would be practical?

Also I was thinking of switching to 19in rims. I heard from a mate that low profile tyres are less durable than standard profiles is that true?

Thanks in advance

Nathaniel

http://trdparts.jp/english/list_estima-lt.html TRD coilovers

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/pdf/Coilover%20k...ANZA_toyota.pdfCusco Vacanza coilovers

http://www.c-one.co.jp/C-ONEPARTS/spring.html C-One lowering springs (search for ACR30)

Thats by no means a conclusive list. Tein most likely do coilovers/springs for it too....

Edited by SuperDave

SuperDave: Thanks for the links!!

Tayles: Your right I should have writen that better. Basically what I was asking is if for example I have 2 Goodyear Eagle tyres in the same width/speed rating etc the only difference being ones a 16in the other a 19in with the corresponding difference in profile. Would you expect to get less durability or mileage from the lower profile tyre in back to back usage on the same vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
SuperDave: Thanks for the links!!

Tayles: Your right I should have writen that better. Basically what I was asking is if for example I have 2 Goodyear Eagle tyres in the same width/speed rating etc the only difference being ones a 16in the other a 19in with the corresponding difference in profile. Would you expect to get less durability or mileage from the lower profile tyre in back to back usage on the same vehicle.

well in my opinion youd get more out of it because of a bigger rolling diameter but then wheel allignment problems and rubbing will kill a tyre real quick and thats more likely to happen with larger rims and lowered suspension

also ive found bigger rims tend to track alot say on bad roads that have had alot of heavy vehicle traffic when they get ruts youll find you get pulled into them.

anyway who cares if it looks hot practicality and good looks have never been good mates

Unfortunately mate it has to be practical as it's primary use is as a work vehicle.

So while I want it too look hot and have some fruit at the end of the day if I'm replacing tyres too often then it wont be justifiable.

I'm looking at doing in the region of 70,000 to 100,000 km's per year.

Also while I remember.

I rang Malaga Springs and Suspension yesterday and spoke to the guy there. He said that after lowering 1 Tarago and having it handle like a complete dog he would never do another one.

So maybe lowering isn't such a good idea

Your thoughts??

With the low profile tyres it all depends on how soft the tread is.

The Federals I use last bloody AAAAGES.

I would imagine, if it handled like a dog, that he did springs only. Superdave gave you a few links to fully adjustable coilover suspension units which would probably be a firmer, more confident ride, and you can select your height... For a considerable amount of money, mind you

• 12 years later...
4 hours ago, Junior Terei said:

I also have an 05 tarago and wanting to put 17-18inches rims but with big tyres instead of low profiles on there without lowering my van. Is that possible I can without scraping my guards or ruining my van?

This is something you'd need to do at a tyre shop to be honest. There is no other way of knowing until a certain combination is tried and tested. Choose a friendly tyre place, visit and ask them if they can do this for you. The only caveat would be that they'd expect you then to make a purchase of said tyres/wheels. 

Or, if you already have the wheels, take these to the shop and have them dummy fit the tyres that will suit your needs.