WTB Section: Abort

selyaT

I am the first to admit I was all for the WTB section when it was suggested.

Now that it's here, it's clearly become yet another hunting ground for n00bs avoiding the search button. "WTB: Eyelids", "WTB: Grille", "WTB: Sportivo Bodykit", "WTB: Wingtips", "WTB: CAI"... This is just the same stuff they used to post in the Corolla section, but it seems the WTB section is an even simpler outlet.

Suggestions to remedy the situation might include closing the thing altogether or imposing restrictions similar to the usual buy and sell section. I think we might find what it boils down to is the same-old-same-old problem of new members starting new topics and asking stupid questions. It may seem no matter what we do, impatient, petulent people will always find a place to post their useless question that have been covered a million times.

In a recent thread of this nature I stated "This does not require a new thread", to which the reply was "Yes but I am only a new member"... Gone are the days of having the common sense and courtesy to read around a little. If this is the attitude of all future members then guys, it's time to jump ship!

Further research reinforces my argument. Let us examine page 1 and take note of members who have recently posted in the WTB section**:

• Mrs Sportivo
  • jonjon
  • expekt
  • mtbme
  • gavin
  • sharkie
  • Wenny
  • kolourhero
  • ruffnut
  • Muldrock

Ever heard of them??? Neither have I! Interesting... Oh FYI, average post count? About 5. Average "joined" date? About 2 weeks ago.

What are they posting about? Either frequently covered things like eyelids or wingtips, or a range of ridiculous things like a Toyota Starlet or parts for some 20 year old grey import.

Personally I feel as if the WTB section is not serving its intended purpose and is not contributing to the forum at all. Just eyeballing the thread shows that restrictions of 30 or more posts AND 3 or more months membership might curb the trend, as n00bs will not be permitted to start new threads (let's just put that restriction on the whole forum!).

**(Sure there are a few other members posting in the section. But people like Angelo and DuGong have been around for a fair amount of time and are posting legitimate items)

The WTB section is a good idea. But maybe the same buy/sell exceptions should be extended to it.

I don't have an issue with new members, its just someone may get ripped off. Also it does open the doors a little for shops to join up and then make a sale via PM to the new members. These new members wont know that that is not allowed on here and may go ahead with the sale instead of reporting it.