Fuel consumption survey (3.5L Kluger)

Taka

Hi everyone 09 kluger alttitude

I have just arrived in Bundanoon in the southern high lands of NSW

Left Melbloune with a full tank of e10 from coles service station and 940kms on the clock filled up at albury with e10 again from united arrived with just unerd 1/2 a tank and a total trip of 700ks (therabouts)

averaged 10.4-10.6 with 2 adults and 2 kids couple of bikes on the back and enough clothes for a week very happy with this considering the weight of the car being close to 2350kgs (guessing here but close) loaded

went up the hume so sat on the 110 to 112 on cruise turnrd off the cruise on some of the bigger hills.

Checked the speedo on one of the overhead gantries on the way out of Melboune had the cruise right on 110 and the gantry said 104 so did compensate for this when setting the cruise control not sure if this effected the overall result?

will try normal unleaded on the way home next week and report back

Would love to get the figures better than 10 like the some others in this thread. Will it happen ???

That economy is good given that run down.

It will be better again on proper petrol and not rubbish sugar cane crop cut "fund John's mates up north" crap :D

Best fuel I have found for economy is 95 Oct or Premium from either BP or Mobil, next best is 98 oct, then the 91 or whatever it is.... never ever put sugar in your Kluger! it costs you more in the long run and it is no good for anything in your engine let alone your back pocket!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How accurate does everyone find the "distance to empty" feature?

I have had a number of times when it has got down to zero together with the fuel light on the dashboard (lights up with 30 KM to go or something thereabouts) and when I fill up the most it has ever taken is 62 li

I think from the specs that the tank holds 72 li

So When the distance to empty says 0 km I have 10 li left in the tank? so could possibly travel another 100KM (at 10li/100KM) - too scared to try this!

Wondering how much fuel other Klugers take to fill up when the distance to empty gets down to 0

Cheers

took a drive down to great ocean road from melbourne over the weekend, from start to finish got a avg of 8.5/100km, would have been better had I not got struck in traffic while going and entering the city,Fuel BP 95 oct, tyre 38 psi, was sitting on the speed limit all along the way except when I pushed it upto 140 while overtaking, love the sound of the engine and power, had to keep reminding myself this a big car not a small sedan I used to drive before, great workout for the car, forgot to mention it is a Kx-r, 2 wd, did feel the engine loosing up a little compared to when I got it couple of weeks ago, hoping the engine gets better once I have put in 5000k or more. not long before the first Oil change now, very happy with the performance.

How accurate does everyone find the "distance to empty" feature?

I have had a number of times when it has got down to zero together with the fuel light on the dashboard (lights up with 30 KM to go or something thereabouts) and when I fill up the most it has ever taken is 62 li

I think from the specs that the tank holds 72 li

So When the distance to empty says 0 km I have 10 li left in the tank? so could possibly travel another 100KM (at 10li/100KM) - too scared to try this!

Wondering how much fuel other Klugers take to fill up when the distance to empty gets down to 0

Cheers

display said I had 32 kms before empty. could get only 55 litre in the tank, so the indicator are way off, but i guess it is better than it being the other way around.

I have driven another 30km or 40km on from the 0km left on display and it took like 67.5lt or so?

I would say you can safely do another 50km when 0 shows up on the distance to go meter if you are averaging 10lt per 100km. I am amazed at how accurate the systems are in this car with regards to fuel used and what is displayed etc.

Hi everyone 09 kluger alttitude

I have just arrived in Bundanoon in the southern high lands of NSW

Left Melbloune with a full tank of e10 from coles service station and 940kms on the clock filled up at albury with e10 again from united arrived with just unerd 1/2 a tank and a total trip of 700ks (therabouts)

averaged 10.4-10.6 with 2 adults and 2 kids couple of bikes on the back and enough clothes for a week very happy with this considering the weight of the car being close to 2350kgs (guessing here but close) loaded

went up the hume so sat on the 110 to 112 on cruise turnrd off the cruise on some of the bigger hills.

Checked the speedo on one of the overhead gantries on the way out of Melboune had the cruise right on 110 and the gantry said 104 so did compensate for this when setting the cruise control not sure if this effected the overall result?

will try normal unleaded on the way home next week and report back

Would love to get the figures better than 10 like the some others in this thread. Will it happen ???

That economy is good given that run down.

It will be better again on proper petrol and not rubbish sugar cane crop cut "fund John's mates up north" crap :D

Best fuel I have found for economy is 95 Oct or Premium from either BP or Mobil, next best is 98 oct, then the 91 or whatever it is.... never ever put sugar in your Kluger! it costs you more in the long run and it is no good for anything in your engine let alone your back pocket!

Amazing some people are reporting better economy on E10 fuel.

I saw a recent test where they compared E10 against 91, 95, and 98 ulp.

The e10 had by far the worse results even though it was slightly cheaper at the pump. Basically they concluded that you needed to use more of it to produce the same power, so this

resulted in worse economy even allowing for the price difference. From memory the 98 even though most expensive won the shootout. (will try and find the link to it and post)

Ive never tried E10, but (and i know Toyota approve the Kluger to run on it) have always wondered about the wisdom of putting a lower quality fuel into a $45000 to $65000 car just to

save a few cents per litre at the pump. I guess use what works for you in the end though.

Cheers

Edited by wilsact

I have driven another 30km or 40km on from the 0km left on display and it took like 67.5lt or so?

I would say you can safely do another 50km when 0 shows up on the distance to go meter if you are averaging 10lt per 100km. I am amazed at how accurate the systems are in this car with regards to fuel used and what is displayed etc.

OK so we know that you can put in at least 67.5 li - good to know - wonder if anyone has taken it to the edge and had a larger fill??

The problem is that some things are accurate and some not - if everything was accurate then when it says 0 km to go you would have 0 km to go (not another 100) - I am OK with a bit of a margin so if it said 0 km and you had 20 km up your sleeve then OK but if you can still go 100km then it sort of leaves you in a gamble - you may try for 40 km or 50 km or whatever but don't really know - so you fill up to be safe.

Try telling your 1+ that she has at least 50km to go when it hits 0 - she panics and fills it up as soon as the light comes on.

Cheers

OK so we know that you can put in at least 67.5 li - good to know - wonder if anyone has taken it to the edge and had a larger fill??

The problem is that some things are accurate and some not - if everything was accurate then when it says 0 km to go you would have 0 km to go (not another 100) - I am OK with a bit of a margin so if it said 0 km and you had 20 km up your sleeve then OK but if you can still go 100km then it sort of leaves you in a gamble - you may try for 40 km or 50 km or whatever but don't really know - so you fill up to be safe.

Try telling your 1+ that she has at least 50km to go when it hits 0 - she panics and fills it up as soon as the light comes on.

I'm sure it mentions in the manual somewhere that when the fuel light comes on the car has at least another 50km left (It's too cold at the moment for me to go outside to the car and get it). I've never put it into practice for the same reason outlined in the last paragraph above :D

Hi All,

I have done about 102km after fuel light went on (based on Google maps) in a single trip city driving. About 60 - 70km of that was after the distance left was at 0. I put 70 litres in. Fuel consumption for that tank was 13.0 l/100. I did 539.4 km on that tank (Caltex 95) all city driving and school pickups. Worked out that I could get home if fuel consumption figure was accurate! 72/13 = 553km.

Cheers,

Snowy

Edited by Snowy68

Hi all

Have just done the return trip

Filled up a sutton forest with 91 unleaded averaged 9.9lt per 100kms filled up at Avenel. light came on with 29 kms to go and it indicated i had already done 599 so

by my calculations i still had a 127kms to go eg 72 lts / 9.9lts = 727km

I think the light my be linked to the display ?? not sure though

Would have easily made it to Tallarook service station but the next services may have been a bit to risky with out some better knowledge of the area as there is some new services popping up between Melbourne and waggarata and I havent been up that way for a while plus having the kids on board I opted for the sensible approach.

After filling up at Avenel we got 9.0ltrs per 100 for the remaining 160 km to home, (going by this distance may have made the out skirts of melb)

Whilst in Bundanoon got my father in laws GPS out and compared the speed. there was a 5kph diff So again i adjusted the cruise to reflect this although i was most likely under the setting i used for the trip up by a few Kph. This time I also let the cruise do most of the work only took over if I felt it was going to drop down to far and rev beyond 3500 rpm

With the E10 i got 10.4 for the same trip will give the 98 oct ago for the next trip around christmas time

But overall very happy with the result considering the size of the car and the hills on some parts of the hume in NSW

It will be much better when the roadworks are finished spent some time at 80kph

I also believe that the higher the cruise speed the higher fuel consuption as when we dropped back to 100kph the averaged dropped only to rise again once we went back to 110kph

hope this info helps refer to previous post for info on trip up

See ya

Twiggy

Hello all,

Just joined the club :-)

Recently, got a used Kluger (2005 CV), and trying to find the avg. fuel consumption now ..

well, during the last fill, i found that for around 57 lts it has run 295 kms (city driving)

which averages to around 19L /100 km ... and .. am not sure whether this is the average i am looking for !!!

any comments/suggestions welcome ...

thnx

Raj

Hey Raj;

Im by no stretch of the imagination knowledgeable about cars but it seems quite high, we have a 2006 CVX and we are getting around 12lt per 100km and that is city driving with very little freeway use at the moment

Nicho

Nicho,

Yes ur rite .. it seems quite high... i tried mixing with 98 ron and did a freeway trip... the avg was around 12.5 .. and recently the city drive averaged to 16.5 ....

Just a dumb question: would the driving habits of the previous owner affect the fuel economy permanently ?

Raj

It is my understanding that the Gen 1 Kluger with the AWD were rated at 13.5l per 100km. Most modern gearboxes have fuzzy logic built into them which remembers the driving style of the owner. If your car was previously owned by somebody driving in stop start traffic and that person was a hard driver, that's what the gearbox remembers. That's my experience from my organisation's fleet of cars. I don't know if the fuzzy logic memory can be reset or not.

Take it to a good mechanic for a proper tune-up, make sure that the sparkplugs get replaced if its got more than 80K on the speedo and have the airfilter replaced. You would be surprised what a difference straight forward things like that can make. Hope this helps.

Edited by 57fritz

Kx.R 4wd 7 seater: Sydney to Melbourne on 91 octane, 3 people, luggage, dog, etc: Indicated 10l/100km. Return trip with an extra 100kg of weight on board, 98 octane: 9.2l/100km indicated. Computer reads higher by 0.5 on highway travel, and underestimates true fuel economy by the same amount around town (presuming the service station pumps are accurate........). Mostly on cruise, set to a true (GPS) 110. Temperature about 16 degrees, few showers both directions. Tyre pressure 42psi.

Edited by BigHeavyVehicle

It is my understanding that the Gen 1 Kluger with the AWD were rated at 13.5l per 100km. Most modern gearboxes have fuzzy logic built into them which remembers the driving style of the owner. If your car was previously owned by somebody driving in stop start traffic and that person was a hard driver, that's what the gearbox remembers. That's my experience from my organisation's fleet of cars. I don't know if the fuzzy logic memory can be reset or not.

There is this thread elsewhere on TOCAU which discusses Resetting the ECU although it is not based around the Kluger. My understanding is the ECU constantly adapts to the particular driving style over 200-300km. So if the previous driver hammered the car, and a new driver takes over it will eventually adjust to their style. I noticed initially my Kluger was a little sluggish when I first got it (as a demo model it already had 6000km), but became more responsive over time as I drove it.

• 10 months later...

I have just tow the sports car to Winton (Benalla) and back. 500km with 1300kg on the trailer 650kg.

Well ... I will tell my towing experience in another thread.

But towing cost petrol, naturally.

When I go to Benalla, I have V Power and it takes 16.9L/100km

When I come back, I put the rest of my V Power racing in the tank (I did not end up using my tank in the car :() but the power increase and the fuel consumption drops! to 14.9L/100km.

May be wind, but the total mass is 60L of petrol lighter. But I am sure V Power Racing rocks! :yahoo:

Sorry to bring an old thread up, but this is pretty awesome.

I bought an 80 Series Petrol Landcruiser to tow my Supra to the track, and the thing isnt that great at towing. I mean it tows it , but when it comes to hills i have battles with Semi Trailers! And Fuel...ha! Without towing returns at least 21/100km! With towing around 30!!

Ive now discovered if you want to tow, you cant beat Turbo Diesel. Now I want the Current Hilux TD

I recently did a late night round trip Melb/Bendigo/Melb to pick my 16 year old daughter from a concert.

The total distance was 565km - using BP 91 octane - mostly 110km dual lane freeway driving - set at 110km on cruise control but using the GPS speed (which shows about 116-117 on the speedo) I got 10.6L/100km.

Not bad considering going to Bendigo is all uphill and it included driving through the city to get to the freeway etc.

I recently did a late night round trip Melb/Bendigo/Melb to pick my 16 year old daughter from a concert.

The total distance was 565km - using BP 91 octane - mostly 110km dual lane freeway driving - set at 110km on cruise control but using the GPS speed (which shows about 116-117 on the speedo) I got 10.6L/100km.

Not bad considering going to Bendigo is all uphill and it included driving through the city to get to the freeway etc.

Same freeway consumption figures here for KX-S AWD, including 116kph speedo for 110kph GPS. Average over last 9,000km is 12.8l/100km which includes a lot of urban driving and a fair bit of up and down hills - 95% of driving with transmission in sequential mode.

After 21 months and 36000kms my total average is 11.47l/100km

My best tank was 9.4l/100km and my worst was 13.6l/100km.

90% city (suburban) driving. Extremely happy with it consumption.

Curious as to how you know your total average economy over 36,000km ... my dealer resets the display every 10k service? Is your calculation manual or from the display?

Curious as to how you know your total average economy over 36,000km ... my dealer resets the display every 10k service? Is your calculation manual or from the display?

I've got this iPhone App that I use everytime I fill up. You can reports by any period you put in, for instance so far this year my average is 11.29l/100km. It's a great App if you have an iPhone. There is a Lite version if anyone wants to trial it.

I recently ran a trip from Malvern (Melbourne's east, about 11km from city) to Kaniva (last Victorian town along the Western Hwy before the SA border).

Journey normally takes around 4.5hrs, first trip in the Kluger over such a big distance (419km).

Filled with Caltex 95 fuel for the Melb - Kaniva leg.

1 wife, 2 small kids and back full of cargo.

On the way there went all the way to the 110kph limit (to Ballarat) and then 100kph thereafter. I don't have a GPS so was using the speedo, I know it's slightly off so I was sitting on about 116kph in the 110 zones and 105kph in the 100 zones.

Stopped in Ballarat and Great Western on the way otherwise pure highway driving.

Result was 9lt/100km

post-17976-127426965512_thumb.jpg

Trip back exactly the same way, stopped briefly at the Big Koala, think that's in a small town called Dadswells Bridge.

Filled with Mobil 95 fuel for the Kaniva - Melb leg.

Only other difference is this time I went a little easier on accelerator, in the 100kph zones I still sat on 105 as displayed on the speedo. In the 110kph zone (Ballarat to Melb) I backed off and had the speedo sit on 110. That had the effect of dropping the engine revs from very close to 2000rpm down to around 1800rpm.

Result was 8lt/100km

post-17976-127426968028_thumb.jpg

I attribute the difference largely due to the engine revs at 110kph being higher and the engine preferring to run a little slower, I think that this was stated by a few others in this thread.

Kluger KXS 08, 7 seater, FWD, original tyres almost worn, inflated to 39psi

Almost forgot to mention, cruise control used full-time in both directions with the exception of going through towns, apply brake when entering and then use cruise "resume" function when exiting.

Edited by whofan

I recently ran a trip from Malvern (Melbourne's east, about 11km from city) to Kaniva (last Victorian town along the Western Hwy before the SA border).

Journey normally takes around 4.5hrs, first trip in the Kluger over such a big distance (419km).

Filled with Caltex 95 fuel for the Melb - Kaniva leg.

1 wife, 2 small kids and back full of cargo.

On the way there went all the way to the 110kph limit (to Ballarat) and then 100kph thereafter. I don't have a GPS so was using the speedo, I know it's slightly off so I was sitting on about 116kph in the 110 zones and 105kph in the 100 zones.

Stopped in Ballarat and Great Western on the way otherwise pure highway driving.

Result was 9lt/100km (I'll try and post image some time soon)

Trip back exactly the same way, stopped briefly at the Big Koala, think that's in a small town called Dadswells Bridge.

Filled with Mobil 95 fuel for the Kaniva - Melb leg.

Only other difference is this time I went a little easier on accelerator, in the 100kph zones I still sat on 105 as displayed on the speedo. In the 110kph zone (Ballarat to Melb) I backed off and had the speedo sit on 110. That had the effect of dropping the engine revs from very close to 2000rpm down to around 1800rpm.

Result was 8lt/100km (again image will be posted soon).

I attribute the difference largely due to the engine revs at 110kph being higher and the engine preferring to run a little slower, I think that this was stated by a few others in this thread.

Kluger KXS 08, 7 seater, FWD, original tyres almost worn, inflated to 39psi

Almost forgot to mention, cruise control used full-time in both directions with the exception of going through towns, apply brake when entering and then use cruise "resume" function when exiting.

Was this with A/C on?

8L/100km seesm too good to be true!

I drove from Sydney to Brisbane a month ago, I average 9.2L/100km for the trip and the lowest it ever displayed was 8.9L/100km. (As per MFD) A/C on 22 degrees...

Was this with A/C on?

8L/100km seems too good to be true!

I drove from Sydney to Brisbane a month ago, I average 9.2L/100km for the trip and the lowest it ever displayed was 8.9L/100km. (As per MFD) A/C on 22 degrees...

No AC, I didn't want to adversely affect my figures ;)

There was a stage at the end of my trip when I was fumbling with the camera trying to get it out of the back of the car, jump back into the drivers seat to take the photo... the display was showing 7.9lt/100km :o But it changed before I could snap the shot, doh!

I really think there are four key reasons:

• traveling at around 1800rpm (which is just over 100kph on the speedo)
  • good tyre inflation (39psi)
  • 95 RON fuel
  • FWD instead of AWD

On a highway trip a few months ago our display was showing 7.8L/100 km. And that was for:

KX-R AWD

91 RON

good tyre inflation (38 psi)

2 passengers

Oh, did I mention it was a learner driver? 80 km/h :)

More realistically, on an extended highway trip with mix of learner driver (80 km/h) and normal driver (100-110 km/h), 5 passengers, A/C on, cruise control on, lots of luggage inside and full "granny box" on top, the display hovered around 9.1L/100 km. I am still impressed with the fuel consumption. I've never tried 95 RON but others in this forum say it will lower the figure.

Ken.