playstation 3

JJCRU23R

hey guys, just wondering about the ps3.

for those who have bought it, was it worth it? even though (the current 40gig version) doesnt play your old ps2 games?

i wanted to buy 1 expecting that since all the games stores are giving offers to those wanting to trade their old ps2s for a discount towards buying a ps3.. but whats the point of losing your ps2 if your old games wont play on the new ps3?

i currently have a xbox360...

would probelby eventually trade for the ps3 coz it can apparently surf the net on it.. and apparently theres no subscribing to anything like xboxlive? free network gaming yea? but the lack of backwards compatability is a real bummer.

has any1 cracked the ps3 so it can work all ps2 games yet? or is that something thats not ever going to happen?

i dunno..

anyhoo.. any comments on things ps3 related would be appreciated.

Edited by JJCRU23R

i have a ps3. yeah you can surf the net (its not as good as surfing tha net on a pc tho) and its free online gaming (no subscription). i got a 60 gig one so i dunno about if the 40 gig ones have been cracked yet. i dont think it will happen any time soon tho. for me my ps3 was well worth it, cos me and someone have just moved into a apartment together and the ps3 has covered our games, dvd player and what not (and the very kind bloke next door over has let us use his wireless internet for it as long as we let him play it with us, how **** awesome is that?). so yeah sorry to babble on but i like it....

Edited by black turkey

Yeah its good!!

Everyone knows that it also has bluray which has just announced another company is moving exclusive to them which will end the war to hd-dvd. You would rarely play the old ps2 games because of the graphics are shocking( especially on a new large tv)

If you have a wireless keyboard and mouse from your computer just put it on the ps3 to make it easier

There are little cracks out that do some stuff but have no idea, The big ones that play copied games arent out yet. They have cracked the American ps3 but arent realeasing it yet because they cant crack the rest of the worlds ps3 to play copied games

Ohhh and if your going to get a ps3 dont bother getting it if not going to buy a 1080P/or have a 1080P TV, You wont enjoy it

Ohhh and if your going to get a ps3 dont bother getting it if not going to buy a 1080P/or have a 1080P TV, You wont enjoy it

I agree, i bought my Sony TV just for the PS3.

I was reading an article this morning on www.news.com.au about Sony going to discontinue the current PS3 models (In Japan) and release a new version of the PS3 to compete aginst the Wii. Heres the article: http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,...5014117,00.html

To be honest though, i've had the ps3 since it first came out and ive got heaps of games for it. I play the games for a little while then it just gets boring. Even the hyped up assassins creed ended up sucking !

The only game i play now is Tekken5 DR (cos its online!) and the GT HD Demo (drifiting is ever so fun on that game! and its the closest thing to driving an evo9 i will ever get lol)

Can't wait for some future games though like GTA4, GT5, FF13. but until then its gonna be sitting in my room collecting dust :)

Only reason I don't have a PS3 is because I don't have an HDTV to support it. Also, there aren't many awesome games out - but Sony says there are over a hundred coming this year. If you own a PSP there is even greater reason to get a PS3; you can link up the two and use Remote Play and all this other crazy techno stuff that'd be kinda useful.

I was reading an article this morning on www.news.com.au about Sony going to discontinue the current PS3 models (In Japan) and release a new version of the PS3 to compete aginst the Wii. Heres the article: http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,...5014117,00.html

If I'm not mistaken, that 40GB model is already available in Australia with a RRP of around $700?

I was keen to get a PS3 before Christmas but ended up getting a 360 based mostly on price. $700 with no games included (and no games that I actually want available until GT5 breaks cover) versus $500 with Forza 2 included (which I discovered is just as good as GT) and playing Halo 3 online with mates....

I don't think that the PS3 upscales to 1080P natively. But I thnk the XBOX360 does.

You may need to confirm.

i would assume it does since its got blu ray? and x360 doesnt have HD DVD as standard. but regardless of the dvd player i think both are able to go HD..? my 360 has the switch on the rca cables with 3 extra coloured cables i have no use for on my widescreen.. and im pretty sure i saw some aftermarket cables for the 360 as well.. not sure what they are for..

I'm pretty sure the PS3 upscales games/movies to 1080p if your running it on a TV capable of 1080i/p. If your TV is a LCD/Plasma but doesn't support the 1920x1080 resolution then the PS3 will only upscale to 720p. And if you're running a standard 4:3 TV then the PS3 will only run in 480p mode. There's a option in the menu's of the PS3 to configure upscaling. :toast:

Edited by spookz

can someone please tell me which is better? the ps3 or wii??

my playstaion 2 broke last week and looking for something new.......but can't decide. i have a heap of ps2 games but maybe its time to move on. the kids are 4x2, 8 and 9 year olds.

i don't know.

i seen the white ceramic ps3 and im in love but it only come in the 40 gig version so don't play ps2 games on it. but its gorgeous!!

please clicky

I think it depends on what you prefer. Family fun or more 'individualised' fun..(<- is that even a word..?)

Because the Wii has more games to suit the entire family. E.g. Wii Sports and all the Mario games. While the PS3 has game's like GT5, where they're played more by a single person or vs'ing others online. Though some PS titles are multiplayer capable.

A PS3 is also more like an entertainment hub. At the moment, it's capable of playing cds, dvds, divx, browsing online, games, blu-ray etcetc..

So it all comes down to what you want to do with it? =)

theres articles i read online that 9 out of the top 10 ps2 games dont work on ps3.

not sure which games but i think the article was based in the UK... and i htink it was dated late 2006?

if they (sony) didnt have a problem having ps2 games play on the ps3, they wouldnt have dropped it as a feature on the 40gig model that are now in the shops.

the poster @ "game" states it plays ps1.. not ps2 games.

Edited by JJCRU23R

The limited backwards compatability only applies to PAL PS3 consoles and the 80GB NTSC consoles. 60GB NTSC consoles were slightly different to the PAL PS3's as the NTSC 60GB one's had the 'Emotion Engine' a.k.a. EE Chip inside it (the same chip used in the PS2 consoles) while the PAL PS3's didn't. Therefore backwards compatability was limited on all PAL and 80GB NTSC consoles as they relied on emulation to get the PS2 games running.

Prior to the release of the 80GB NTSC consoles, all 60GB NTSC consoles had the EE Chip, but Sony decided to cut down on production costs and hence released the 80GB and discontinued the 60GB's. :whistling:

PS1 games will play regardless like JJ said. =P

But the limited backwards compatability is not such an issue now as it is improved through every firmware update. Though you might experience some jolts or lag/freezes in some games as in the end it's still emulation.

Hope that helps everyone :toast:

But the limited backwards compatability is not such an issue now as it is improved through every firmware update.

are you referring to ps2 or ps1 games in this statement?

what ticks me off is that they dropped the full backwards capability of the ps3.

i sold off my ps2 (coz i needed the money at the time) thinking eventually ima get me a ps3 and play my old games on it.

my guess is they dpended more on the bluray and other features as the main selling points.. even if it was expensive (which i still think its kinda overpriced), id get it coz the backwards capability would be the icing on the cake.

no need 2 have a ps2 and ps3 next to the tv.. thing i hate the most is having so many boxes surrounding the tv.

ive already got - widescreen(not flat), dvd, paytv, vhs, dvd x360, amplifier... had a hd tuner and ps2 but sold that. too many damn boxes!

Edited by JJCRU23R