What to expect from 1999 v6 150xxx k's ?

anothercamry

G'day,

i'm looking at purchasing a camry hopefully between the years of 1998 and 2001. v6 and if i can find one at the right price and in good condition preferably a 'touring' manual.

i have looked at a few, one in particular caught my eye. it was a 1999 Touring GTP, one lady owner (her father was a dealer at toyota), full log books. whilst driving it the owner seemed quite suprised when i gave it a few revs and by her body language i'm very confident she hasn't given the vehicle a hard time at all. it felt glassy smooth especially in comparison to my last car (vl turbo). there were no strange noises or clunks. body and interior is in beautiful condition except one power window was buggered (back left). I just want something which isn't going to cause problems as i don't have time anymore to be messing around a lot with cars. this particular vehicle has just had timing belt done and clutch replaced. apart from that would one of the many people here in the know kindly advise if through normal driving (i'm getting old so over flogging cars) what else is likely to go wrong with this car and at what kilometers? also is $8500 a good price?

thanks so much for your reply.

Mate, if you can source a GTP Gen 4 Camry... in General, you're doin fine. Only has 150k on the clock (around average) and looked after really well.

Check the aircon's all good... power steering, engine mounts... (they tend to go after 8-10 years)... the other parts that are common are merely cosmetic stuff (power windows, ceiling cloth sagging... door trims coming out etc). Check that the water pump was done also...

I reckon if I were in your shoes, I woulda bought that in a heart beat. Them GTP kits are rare as hen's teeth mate, and people pay lots of money for em.

You're buying a Camry mate... not much goes wrong with these cars :) Unlike Holdens or Fords... Hyundais or anything like that. If you service it regularly (5-10k) you'll have that car way into the 300-400-500k mark no problem.

Edited by Whip Cracker

Mate, if you can source a GTP Gen 4 Camry... in General, you're doin fine. Only has 150k on the clock (around average) and looked after really well.

Check the aircon's all good... power steering, engine mounts... (they tend to go after 8-10 years)... the other parts that are common are merely cosmetic stuff (power windows, ceiling cloth sagging... door trims coming out etc). Check that the water pump was done also...

I reckon if I were in your shoes, I woulda bought that in a heart beat. Them GTP kits are rare as hen's teeth mate, and people pay lots of money for em.

You're buying a Camry mate... not much goes wrong with these cars :) Unlike Holdens or Fords... Hyundais or anything like that. If you service it regularly (5-10k) you'll have that car way into the 300-400-500k mark no problem.

ta for your reply. sounds like i've passed up a pretty good deal!! i'll get back in contact tomorrow and see what the go is. might go for another trip up there to check out the engine mounts and double check it's genuine gtp. the other stuff you mentioned all checked out fine. i didn't mention previously but the car also has 17's, heaps of tread on brand name tyres and decent stereo. it has carbon fibre accessories inside too, if that's worth anything.

yep whip cracker is spot on! camrys engines will last u a long time (considering she has had it regularly serviced) u shld have no problem with the engine...i say tht the engine hasnt even reached its half way mark...and the gtp gen 4 camry is quite rare and for 8500...i reckon its a bargin...with 17s and carbon fibre accessories its def worth the buy...engine mounts can be changed for abt 500 i think...good luck mate..if u do buy the cam (u made a good buy ur not gonna find many cars like a cam tht wld last for years and years)....

Hey mate,

Check to see if the clutch master has ever been replaced too. When mine went it took a few days because some dealers wont keep them in stock... and they arent cheap...

But yes it would be a very good deal... Thats how much Id be selling my car for and I still have the stock GTP Rims on.

BJ

got the car last night. i'll post up some pics when i get round to it. just a quick question which may not be that easy to answer: how firm should the suspension feel? i guess with the low profile tyres and tighter suspension i'm gonna get plenty of feedback? or maybe at 150,000klm the strut inserts could be a bit tired...?

The stock suspension can feel like driving on a pillow... but the lower profile tyres... you'll start feeling bumps :P

Did you know... the recommended amount of time between replacing shocks is every 40k?? The exact same amount of time as your tyres... I was quite suprised when I heard that! lol