Turning OD off

wishbone

hey guys just wandering if i leave overdrive off and turn the ETC button on so i get more power will tht put more wear to the engine?? i have noticed that with the OD off and the ETC button on i get alot more power out of the 2.2L engine...so wat do u guys think?

hey guys just wandering if i leave overdrive off and turn the ETC button on so i get more power will tht put more wear to the engine?? i have noticed that with the OD off and the ETC button on i get alot more power out of the 2.2L engine...so wat do u guys think?

Having OD (over drive) off simply means the car won't engage the "top" gear so your car holds the revs higher as you get to a faster speed. ECT effectively dulls down the power curve so you don't get wheel spin when you accelerate. that's why you get better accel with both off. Having overdrive off will probably give you more engine wear as the engine will be revving higher (you won't notice any engine wear until after 100,000+ km though). If you do alot of highway driving, having OD off will also give you slighly worse fuel economy.

for a new car, i wouldn't worry about engine wear relating to OD and ECT though.

my little thing with OD

if i'm pottering round town or in heavy traffic (stop/start) i drive with the OD off. I have noticed the car will reposed a bit quicker on teh gear changes if you need to give it the beans (like fast lane changes)

once i'm crusing along at a constant speed (freeway / open road) flick the OD on, so the gear box and motor relax and save some fuel. remember OD has no power behind it, so the gearbox will kick down if you give it a boot full.

Also, for those that are lucky and not have OD but have a auto, try this on for size. Family member of mine drives cabs in SA. everytime he comes to a stop, he knocks the auto into "N". I asked why, he explained that the auto clutch is still engaged and slowly burns the auto clutch therefore wearing the box out.

Just be carefull not to knock it into gear and then gun it. Wait for the box to engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

my little thing with OD

if i'm pottering round town or in heavy traffic (stop/start) i drive with the OD off. I have noticed the car will reposed a bit quicker on teh gear changes if you need to give it the beans (like fast lane changes)

once i'm crusing along at a constant speed (freeway / open road) flick the OD on, so the gear box and motor relax and save some fuel. remember OD has no power behind it, so the gearbox will kick down if you give it a boot full.

Also, for those that are lucky and not have OD but have a auto, try this on for size. Family member of mine drives cabs in SA. everytime he comes to a stop, he knocks the auto into "N". I asked why, he explained that the auto clutch is still engaged and slowly burns the auto clutch therefore wearing the box out.

Just be carefull not to knock it into gear and then gun it. Wait for the box to engaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

on the contrary, engaging N and clicking into gear puts more wear than just leaving it in D. the "auto clutch" is actually a torque converter - a kind of fluid pump. when the engine side spins, it forces transmission fluid against the fins on the transmission side and when you give it enough gas, the force is strong enough to move the transmission and hense the car. when in idle the revs are low enough that the brakes can hold the car still even when the engine is still running (this is why the car wants to move forward when you relax the brakes)

my little thing with OD

my 2 cents

on the contrary, engaging N and clicking into gear puts more wear than just leaving it in D. the "auto clutch" is actually a torque converter - a kind of fluid pump. when the engine side spins, it forces transmission fluid against the fins on the transmission side and when you give it enough gas, the force is strong enough to move the transmission and hense the car. when in idle the revs are low enough that the brakes can hold the car still even when the engine is still running (this is why the car wants to move forward when you relax the brakes)

it's probably my reading skills but i cannot comprehend from your post why putting it in N weares the clutch/tranny more than leaving it in D ?

Edited by anothercamry

my little thing with OD

my 2 cents

thanks mate...yeah im gonna use odd off when going up hills...and the etc button for higher revs (like overtaking people)...