Manual vs Automatic debate

wishbone

Manual Vs Automatic  

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vote full Manual.

The only time I'd put up with some kind of auto is if it was a Falcon or Commodore daily driver, and then only if it was a bog stock base model. Anything with any inkling of performance would have to be a manual. Forget that sequential crap, I don't care how many milliseconds your gearbox can shift in, if it's not you pushing the gears in yourself then it don't mean squat.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have drove my bosses brand spanking new SS-V a few times and its a bullsh!t semi auto as well.

I found I was doing 1 of 2 things.

1. Cruise along in 6th, get to a corner, cos there is no clutch u just turn in and accelerate away in 6th... or

2. Get to the corner, remember to shift down to say 3rd, go through the corner and then leave it in 3rd and start cruising.

Dead serious, there is no feel whatsoever.

The one thing putting me off the Mitsubishi Evo is the lack of choice when it comes to the models - GSR 5sp Man or Dual clutch semi auto, MR Dual clutch semi auto only. hmmmph.

Automatic

Advantages:

- More Pulling Power

- Simple

Disadvantages

- Booring

- Uncool

- More Likely to involve in a Fatigue

- As time gets older, the transmissions changes gears really suck, big delay

- Too expensive to replace if Broken

- More petrol used in immobilised position

MANUAL

Advantages:

- Increased Kilowatts on a Stock Car By Manufacturer than compared to a Automatic

- Chicks Dig It

- Fun

- Flexibility in changing gears to what ever you prefer, you can even skip gears!!

- Fuel Efficient

- (celica) - You can win against an Audi TT Quatro in a 300 Meter Run... (LOL) I tried..

Disadvantages:

- Rubbing the clutch, eg Uphill starts.

- Stalls

- A standard clutch has 7 year Life, whilst Auto has more advantage in life.

- Slippage if worn, and may require to involve in more spending money to re-machine the flywheel, if u keeep driving a worn clutch lol!

thats y i reckon they never make ferraris or lambos or even the veron bugatti with sequenstial shift or auto for tht matter

What do you mean? The Veyron ONLY comes with a flappy-paddle gearbox, and both Ferrari and Lamborghini offer sequential gearboxes for pretty much all their cars. Try finding a manual that can stand up to 400-500kw and have a clutch pedal that you don't need to be He-Man to use.

Really guys,

Chicks dont really think manuals are cool. They would rather you use that hand playing with them, rather than your gear stick. (Untill you get married).

I too use to think that manuals were the way to go untill I got a car with some gutts ...........

Have fun.

aiights enough with the stick talk.. eeesh... im getting sick.. :P

bloddy... yes i do also have a Automatic Impreza RS, and true true to the hand playing with the misses.. i miss that... :(

but anyways, when your no longer with a girl.. or single.. then Manual is the way to go.. :P

just have 2 cars parked in your home. 1 auto for (together with a girl)

and another is manual for going out hooking up chiky babes :P i love saying that.. (Chicky Babe)

I love to drive manual, but it is a pain in stop start traffic. I'm not a fan of the traditional automatics, they rob power, fuel consumption and have no engine braking.

But I love DSG style transmissions such as that which VW use and also now the new EVO X and new GTR, since driving a Golf GTi with DSG, I'm sold and think it's the way forward. Perfect shifts everytime, even better downshifts with pre-programmed throttle blip and when you're tired and cant be fogged, they have an automatic mode.

I love to drive manual, but it is a pain in stop start traffic. I'm not a fan of the traditional automatics, they rob power, fuel consumption and have no engine braking.

But I love DSG style transmissions such as that which VW use and also now the new EVO X and new GTR, since driving a Golf GTi with DSG, I'm sold and think it's the way forward. Perfect shifts everytime, even better downshifts with pre-programmed throttle blip and when you're tired and cant be fogged, they have an automatic mode.

Thats what I was trying to say, except me no good with word sentences :ph34r:

Edited by Seano

I would have to chose manual by far. I must say i have had alot of auto cars and they are alright but they get a bit boring thats why manual would be the best. Thats why when i got my corolla it had to be manual

Thats what I was trying to say, except me no good with word sentences :ph34r:

I agree... only once you have had your spine constantly embedded into the seat then you will understand the beauty of DSG, however I still love my manual, takes more skill. If someone was to beat me at a track event or at the drags I would want that person to have won because he had the skill not because he had some dual clutch system doing all the hard work.

I read an interesting statement on one of the "car" internet sites (might have been Drive, CarPoint or one of those) that in stop-start peak hour traffic, an auto is actually more economical than an equivalent manual.

I haven't done any comparisons myself, so I can't vouch for the statement, but I'm wondering if the auto's consistency makes a difference ... easier to make light throttle starts, not having to rev the engine to move off, changing up sooner, etc.

Thoughts? :idea:

• 1 month later...
I read an interesting statement on one of the "car" internet sites (might have been Drive, CarPoint or one of those) that in stop-start peak hour traffic, an auto is actually more economical than an equivalent manual.

I haven't done any comparisons myself, so I can't vouch for the statement, but I'm wondering if the auto's consistency makes a difference ... easier to make light throttle starts, not having to rev the engine to move off, changing up sooner, etc.

Not having to work a clutch after soccer is always a plus :P But I could say how that works, only thing is your fuel economy goes out the window once you start moving on the open road.

When in traffic like that, there's not really any need to do any revving. Just hold the clutch low on the friction point for a second or two, until the engine starts compensating and won't stall, and fully release. This method is probably better for the wear, too.

It would be interesting to see their methods...

that method by using just the friction point is how some driving instructors teach it in peak traffic. so on the way to school in the mornings if you stuck behind an L plater they will do it that way and stall many many times, it never worries me cos that was me not too long ago. and its not like i care if im late for school. i find i take the clutch out to the friction point and as the motor drops revs i touch the throttle and voila slowly creeps forward.

i have to say manual, while i was in perth i owned an auto and just got sick of it.

when i started looking for a car after i got back here i would not even look at buying another auto.