Manual vs Automatic debate

wishbone

Manual Vs Automatic  

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely manual. Unless of course you had like a Ferrari or Lamborghini, then I would make the exception and go for their (semi-auto) sequential manual transmission. At least those are a true manual box with clutch, just that the car does the clutching and shifting. I would think that it would be much better on the car and transmission if it took care of those aspects.

Manual just feels more fun to drive and definitely gives you more control... plus I prefer to downshift before braking which doesn't quite happen in auto. As some people have mentioned, I have a tendency to hold the stick by the actual stick itself mainly because my hand sits there when it isn't needed.

At the moment though, I drive an automatic. Didn't really have much choice there unfortunately. If I didn't want automatic, I couldn't have an Aurion.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a manual, I'd actually prefer a semi-automatic. I drove a full automatic throughout my Ps and find it relaxing, but boring.

Manual is fun in a few circumstances, but for the most part the novelty wears off rather quickly (especially in peak hour traffic).

I'm a bit of a hobo and I like to wear thongs on the weekends, but I find it hard to use the clutch with thongs so I take them off. Using the clutch with bare foot gets goddam painful after a while.

I've driven the IS250 a few times with the paddle-shifters, they're good fun.

And what's with all the comments about falling asleep unless driving a manual? Lol, you can still fall asleep at the wheel of a manual, the likelihood is probably just as high. It's not like you're going to be continuously shifting while driving at 100.

Edited by Saj

I'm a bit of a hobo and I like to wear thongs on the weekends, but I find it hard to use the clutch with thongs so I take them off. Using the clutch with bare foot gets goddam painful after a while.

I almost always drive bare-foot, even on long trips. Yes, my feet do get sore after a while, but so do my legs, arms and back, so they all get a rest at the same time.

Probrem solvered.

ha ha

i drive manual........i dont like the feel of auto i like to drive the car not have it drive me ha ha ha :P

the good thing about auto is its cruisy but yeh there is good and bad in all

QUOTE (Saj @ Nov 27 2008, 01:25 AM)

I'm a bit of a hobo and I like to wear thongs on the weekends, but I find it hard to use the clutch with thongs so I take them off. Using the clutch with bare foot gets goddam painful after a while

ha ha ha

yeh so am i. i never wear shoes when i drive its more comfortable without them :P

Using the clutch with bare foot gets goddam painful after a while.

Let me guess.....you have drilled metal pedals? :lol:

Have a go at a Renaultsport Clio's clutch, the 172 has a pretty heavy clutch. Second gear in that thing is great.

nah uh, just plain old black rubber :o. It's the fact that the clutch pedal surface is small and has hard edges that makes it painful.

• 3 months later...

theres no clear winner for me when it comes to different transmission. they all have their benefits in a way.

automatic - for the lazy people out there like myself

manual - less boring, control your revs

semi-auto - classy feeling yet still quite lazy

:lol:

-BK-

Definitely manual. You can feel the car more and you can control the power that is delivered.

I drive my mums aurion sometimes with sequential shift (tryhard manual) and it feels pretty laid back and cruisy, although i just plant it all the time. :)

200kw FWD FTW!!

First car was a manual celica sx, first week i had it dragged an S14 200SX on the freeway.. lost effortlessly.. hehe

Go manual

you know these days auto n manual have such little fuel consumption difference not like in the 80's. with lock up torque converters n better technologise, materials and the way things are built

so basically the wats better is no longer the manual these days auto's are actually better they multiply torque by 2 awsome for towing where as the manual box has no torque multiplication 1:1 thats it autos are good for city driving (you wont have a limp at the end of your drive in an auto ).and on a long drive on a free way how many people go through the gears any way "im goin 110 i might change back to 3rd gear now to make things more exciting".honesly

and they dont use more fuel any more although in alot of the vehicles that still have both options the auto has less gears there for they lose efficency there but if you put a 6 speed auto in a corolla i reacon the consumtion difference would probably be in favour of the auto

and before you go sayin im biast both my cars are manual but i drive alot of auto's and im a mechanic

another thing to is fastest 1/4mile cars are auto's end of story

• 4 weeks later...

on track manual

but i rather have a auto as a daily due to me waking up at 4am i cant be stuffed changing gears

i drive aurions sometimes for work so semiauto is good when u get an itch to redline

• 4 weeks later...

my 2003 6spd corolla sportivo - 650km out of a tank, light on

mates 2004 auto corolla ascent - 490km out of a tank, light on

And his car only does 2500rpm on the freeway, mine does 3200

He's kicking himself now he didn't get a manual.

And he thinks I drive like a lunatic, so it ain't driving styles.

whitestivo

whitestivo

Could be because ascents have smaller fuel tanks.

whitestivo

*bangs head on desk*

And how many litres is each putting in? Who's to say his fuel light comes on at the same time as yours? Using the fuel light as an accurate measure is total crap, you could be seeing another 5L variation right there, which is around 10% of the tank size, significantly affecting resuts. The fuel light in my AE102 comes on between 35 and 40L, but it comes and goes at first depending on the attitude of the car (ie slopes/acceleration affect it). It will only come on permanently after a good 100km of driving.

L/100km people, L/100km (or km/L if you prefer). No point using anything else

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Track & Twisties = Manual . Total control. Engine Braking. Blipping whilst down changing.

Heel Toe. - It is an art.

resized-20060818211537778.jpg

resized-20060818211603994.jpg

resized-20060818211622962.jpg

resized-20060818211643443.jpg

resized-20060818211708039.jpg

resized-20060818211726801.jpg

resized-20060818211744380.jpg

Daily = Semi - auto.

Manual = classic old school style. There is a lot of history behind it. Ferrari's , Porsches, and many Bathurst's were won with the stick shift. It is a skill. Relaxing

Auto / Semi - Auto = Technology , convienence. Relaxing. Advancements will eventually make manual's a thing of the past. Probably not in my life time though. It is /will probably get better fuel economy as well.

Track & Twisties = Manual . Total control. Engine Braking. Blipping whilst down changing.

Heel Toe. - It is an art.

resized-20060818211537778.jpg

resized-20060818211603994.jpg

resized-20060818211622962.jpg

resized-20060818211643443.jpg

resized-20060818211708039.jpg

resized-20060818211726801.jpg

resized-20060818211744380.jpg

Daily = Semi - auto.

Manual = classic old school style. There is a lot of history behind it. Ferrari's , Porsches, and many Bathurst's were won with the stick shift. It is a skill. Relaxing

Auto / Semi - Auto = Technology , convienence. Relaxing. Advancements will eventually make manual's a thing of the past. Probably not in my life time though. It is /will probably get better fuel economy as well.

Jesus bro,

Thank for this :)

helped clear out a stupid question i had in the back of the head for a while, I do something simmilar on the track but i drop to second and heel toe > same idea? or does dropping to third have better effect on coming out of the corner?

I generaly have this situation<

straight im in 4rth

Get to the corner i break

100 / 200 meters i drop to second

heel toe

Control car out the corner in second

Come out the corner and shift back to third

all the while keep RMP around 3/5 to 4k range

mind you i havent done this in the camry yet as im yet to learn how to drift in FWD...

any sugestions? also raost me if im doing this wrong :P

• 1 year later...

you know these days auto n manual have such little fuel consumption difference not like in the 80's. with lock up torque converters n better technologise, materials and the way things are built

so basically the wats better is no longer the manual these days auto's are actually better they multiply torque by 2 awsome for towing where as the manual box has no torque multiplication 1:1 thats it autos are good for city driving (you wont have a limp at the end of your drive in an auto ).and on a long drive on a free way how many people go through the gears any way "im goin 110 i might change back to 3rd gear now to make things more exciting".honesly

and they dont use more fuel any more although in alot of the vehicles that still have both options the auto has less gears there for they lose efficency there but if you put a 6 speed auto in a corolla i reacon the consumtion difference would probably be in favour of the auto

and before you go sayin im biast both my cars are manual but i drive alot of auto's and im a mechanic

another thing to is fastest 1/4mile cars are auto's end of story

Autos aren't always multiplying torque x 2, are they.

And the fastest 1/4 mile cars actually dont have a transmission, do they?

I do know what you're saying though.

I own an auto now after a full start with manual cars so far.

The only time I miss a manual is when I have cruise control on, sometimes it kicks back when I'd rather it use the torque it HAS and keep pulling FFS

But other than that, the 5 speed in the hilux is great, I've put a shift improver in mine and it as firm as you would ever want.

Auto/Manual, depends what you're doing, but I'll take an auto thanks.

noice bump moite! :D

i prefer manual (while i'm still young LOL :P ) but yes driving in heavy traffic.........................

1) pisses me off

2) makes my arms tired

3) makes my left foot tired

4) pt. 1 x2

5) pt. 1 x3

driving in melbourne isn't that bad... but i knew if i drove in cities like sydney, i'd go for a auto/semi auto.

last time i drove there i had alot of people looking cuz i was revving alittle higher on the slope of george st going home to eliz bay with 3 other people + stuff in the boot :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...