Toyota Aurion Reversing Camera Installation

Aurion ZR6

So you're saying that when you swapped the wires, the head unit didn't go into reverse camera mode? Hence meaning that it was definitely correct the first way around?

What does the image look like when you mentioned a grey blur? Could possibly be that you camera is of the wrong format. It needs to be an NTSC camera and not a PAL type.

Yea...the 1st way around was the right one..

Well.. I bought the camera off a guy here in the forum, who owned a factory navigation but different car.

So I figured oh wth..should work...

I checked in the web.. It doesnt say PAL/NTSC but it sure comes from toyota. No brand name or anythin..Just parts no, 86790-33040.

Here's what it looks like..

post-7404-1249281485_thumb.jpg

This one is getting me puzzled. There will be a way around it. It's just the fact that I'm not there to play around with it.

From the looks of it, the head unit is triggered by the signal from the camera correct (ie. when the camera isn't plugged into the head unit, it doesn't show that screen)? If so, for some reason the camera is not outputting an image. Possibly power related. What colour wire did you tap into on your reverse lights?

This one is getting me puzzled. There will be a way around it. It's just the fact that I'm not there to play around with it.

From the looks of it, the head unit is triggered by the signal from the camera correct (ie. when the camera isn't plugged into the head unit, it doesn't show that screen)? If so, for some reason the camera is not outputting an image. Possibly power related. What colour wire did you tap into on your reverse lights?

This would be too easy for you if you were here Daryl.. :lol:

Anw, I tried with the camera off the line.. Yea, the screen didn't set off to the blank with the warning sign. I tried tappin the wire to both wires separately.. Red / white.. That didn't solve the problem..

How do you differentiate the camera is of a PAL/NTSC?

Thanks for the quick reply btw.. :clap:

Edited by VF-X

Well either way, so long as you have your camera powered by the reverse light (red is the +12v) and the the appropriate wire connected to ground (otherwise the white wire), you camera should be receiving power. Just double check your grounding connection and if in doubt, connect the camera ground to the white wire of the reverse light.

Judging by the fact that you mentioned it said to connect it to the reverse light, means that the camera is a 12v camera so it shouldn't be a voltage issue (head unit provides 6v for a camera).

Only other way to find out is to connect the camera to a TV or something with a composite video in and see if it works properly.

The only way to easily tell if the camera is PAL or NTSC is to connect it to a receiver that can be forced onto PAL or NTSC and see which one it works with.

Testing the camera would be a wise choice if you can.

As well, as stupid as this sounds, make sure that the shield of the video lead does not come into contact with the conductor. It won't break anything, but it sure would affect the signal.

I Did it!!!

Haha.. Funny, u mentioned about the alternative, either white wire or to the ground.. I tried it to the white wire.. It works!!

Thanks so much Daryl.. 1st DIY, done in 4 days.. :P

And also credit to Aurion ZR6..

One last question.. Sorry.. ;)

Is the quality of the image projected solely depend on the quality of the camera, or the quality of wires could affect it as well?

Is the quality of the image projected solely depend on the quality of the camera, or the quality of wires could affect it as well?

Mainly dependent on the quality of the camera combined with the resolution of the screen. Since the screen is of a decent resolution, it would mainly be the camera.

The video cable can play a part to introducing noise into the picture if not connected perfectly, but this would be introduced as a snowy effect, much like a TV with a bad antenna.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, im trying to do this install as well, and i have a rough idea of which wire goes where, but im not getting any result. So far my RCA plug is cut open with three wires. I know which colour is pos, neg and ground. I connected my + to the red wire on the back of the unit, the - to the grey wire and my ground to the white wire. Is this correct? By the way my car is not a facelift model as i am doing a complete swap from my 6 stacker to a factory sat nav, so i have no 24 pin plug, so i have made my own connectors for where the 24 pin plug would originally sit.

Edited by toyota pride

Impatient aren't you? Less than 3 hours and you have sent me a PM with the same question.

You are aware that the Factory Satnav unit outputs 6 volts (as seen on the first page) right?

yes i admit, im very impatient...... just gettin frustrated with not understanding why things are not working. Thankyou for the quick reply by the way, i appreciate it. yes im aware of the 6 volts

Last bit of wording I am going to provide on this matter so too bad so sad if it is of no use.

Nowhere did you mention yourself connecting the shield of the RCA cable to the head unit. If you have an RCA cable, with three conductors inside, one of them is going to be used for the video signal, one is the positive for the camera power, the other is negative, and the shield of the RCA cable connects to the grey wire of the head unit (pin 23).