Celica - 1st love of car

DANZZT231

Looks really good man. But it needs more black on the car to make it fit in. Maybe a bit of black on top of the scoop?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont think you're gonna get any aero benift while your sticking to the speed limit or even at high speeds

i mean think about it... the reason you put a big wing on the back is to make the rear of the car stick to the road... for better traction in an RWD car.

I'd say its Purely cosmetic only.... and hence you should paint it to fit in with the rest of your cars scheme.

i dont think you're gonna get any aero benift while your sticking to the speed limit or even at high speeds

i mean think about it... the reason you put a big wing on the back is to make the rear of the car stick to the road... for better traction in an RWD car.

I'd say its Purely cosmetic only.... and hence you should paint it to fit in with the rest of your cars scheme.

Not quite true. It depends on the car and suspension setting. And you are right about the level of speed to reach aerodynamic effect is very high. Would be useful on the track this. But for now, I'm just interested to know if its working.

With Celica there is a sensation of 'floating' at the back when going around corner at high speed. Weight distribution of the car from memory is 61/39 so its very light at the back. And, if you ever driven a Celica you will notice the rear can be very nervous and can let go any moment if you go in too hot - too fast. This is the normal behaviour of Celica.

Although I can stop the float by lowering the rear suspension to the max, but this causes the front to lift too much. So hopefully the rear wing can stabilize it and plant the rear to the ground better without altering the height of the car. The only way to know is to try it :)

Plus the wing is 3-way adjustable too :)

However I already put the wing on the market, just in case it doesn't work :)

Edited by DANZZT231

i say you paint the wheels black rear boot black and bonnet black ;) looking orrite but dan!

I do want to paint the wheel to this color:

good choice on the color!would go well with ur white unless u go with alot of black accents on other parts of ur car

If I do keep the TRD Wing I will paint it white except for the mid-blade. Everything else stays as it is as I don't really like carbon bonnet etc etc.

Yeah that would look alright... the faux carbon fibre blade :lol:

Or you could just take it off... i'm with BKS - if you aren't turning it into a track weapon, then there's no need for such a huge object on the back of your car.

If I do keep the TRD Wing I will paint it white except for the mid-blade. Everything else stays as it is as I don't really like carbon bonnet etc etc.

Yeah that would look alright... the faux carbon fibre blade :lol:

Or you could just take it off... i'm with BKS - if you aren't turning it into a track weapon, then there's no need for such a huge object on the back of your car.

Well I had a thought last night.

Since I can swap the wings whenever I wanted to, I'll put the standard low wing for the street and the TRD for track.

Somehow the black wing grows on me, looks like a racer; which is why it doesn't belong on the street. I don't think I'll ever paint it though, looks cool in black. For street car I like it sleek, and that's what the OEM low wing does.

It's like looking at race cars with stickers and wild body kit to cheat wind. Looks awesome on the track but looks silly on the street.

• 1 month later...

Time to put theory into practice.

New parts installed:

Roll Coupler Adjuster

C-One Type R - front brace

C-One Type R - rear brace

C-One Type R - trunk brace

Areas needed to be improved:

1. Reducing body roll at high speed long sweeper without having to lower the rear shock absorber to the max.

2. Stabilize rear end nervousness

3. Increase chassis rigidity to allow the shock absorber to work at optimum stroke.

Roll Coupler Adjuster

I'm always keen on trying Whiteline's Roll Coupler Adjuster (RCA) and without going to technical detail (which can be found on Whiteline's technical article) this simple yet effective modifications corrects the Celica's rear suspension geometry. There are many benefits listed by adding RCA, but the most important is stop the Celica's rear end nervousness. There is nothing fancy about the RCA; its just set of spacers to be fitted between the rear cross-member and the chassis.

Results

1. Reduce body roll at high speed sweeper

2. Sharper turn in

3. Reduce understeer

4. Eliminate rear end nervousness

5. Rear suspension settles quicker again (First aided by swaybar)

6. Able to shift weight without roll

post-61-1233745435_thumb.jpg

C-One Type R braces

Awhile ago when I was reading Whiteline's technical articles (very good read) I came across an article about chassis rigidness and strut bars. And on top of that, I also read Cusco's own explanation of strut braces (also very good read). While both articles made senses and both are on the same point of view there's always the classic argument of whether or not strut bars are needed, let alone whether or not it actually works. I suggests everyone who have interests in buying a strut bar read both Whiteline and Cusco's article to help understand the reason of strut braces.

From the research I made, and experience with strut braces from my Corolla, together with another (yes) good deal coming through my door I went to grab these three shiny bars to test my own conclusions about strut braces.

post-61-1233746185_thumb.jpg

post-61-1233746218_thumb.jpg

post-61-1233746241_thumb.jpg

Results with limited (quick) testing

1. Shock absorber at both ends settles even quicker again (First aided by adding swaybars - this have even greater effect)

2. Steering is firmer

3. Reduce body roll

4. Car turns with even greater composure, it stays flatter at tight turn

5. Sharper turn-in again

6. Natural handling (Must be because both ends are now made stiffer, and maybe bit stiffer at the rear due to the trunk brace).

For day to day driving its very surprising that the level of comfort is not sacrificed at all. The Bilstein, which what I consider the key player in my suspension modifications is now aided by the key supporters (swaybars, roll coupler adjuster and strut bars), and as a result it is now able to work at greater optimum. The whole suspension just works well together and I am more than pleased with the result.

On a side note; In relation to point 6 of the result, a week ago I tested my friend's Integra (non type R/S) with front strut bars only for its suspension modifications and his car understeer more compared to standard. But this can be fixed by wheel alignment.

The only downside is it added more weight. But that's okay because I shed off plenty of weight by removing the rear panels and spare wheels anyway (Not wanting to cut the rear panels for the rear bars, and the spare wheel don't fit due to the trunk bars).

And there are two more bars to be added hopefully this weekend;

1. Carbing - Front lower arm brace

2. Carbing - Rear lower arm brace

Why lower arm brace? - read Whiteline technical article. I am yet to find out the actual result but so far what they posted on their forum has helped me achieved exactly what I wanted. Hopefully this is just another case of proven theory.

Stay tuned.

that is one of the nicest celica's i've seen so far maybe cos I don't see much of them lol.

I remember loving these celica shapes when they first came out and I've noticed that some of them use to have this wing shaped like just ontop of the bonnet under the windscreen? not sure if you know what i'm talking about but for a fact toyota use to have them on the top range ones I think, that made the celica look even more SEXY! should add that too it

that is one of the nicest celica's i've seen so far maybe cos I don't see much of them lol.

I remember loving these celica shapes when they first came out and I've noticed that some of them use to have this wing shaped like just ontop of the bonnet under the windscreen? not sure if you know what i'm talking about but for a fact toyota use to have them on the top range ones I think, that made the celica look even more SEXY! should add that too it

Ah yes, it's the bonnet spoiler :)

i like what you did to your car mate,

ill post my ride up soon too!!

Thanks man, and I am looking forward to see your Celica :) What's been done to your Celica?

And it's Friday, so hopefully I can install the two lower control arm bars tonight without waking up the neighbour.

Ahhhh Danz...Read Your Thread From Top To Bottom and I must admit it is sucha good journey to share with another car enthusiast. It is not common for ppl to describe all their feelings and experiences while upgrading their ride in such detail. Keep up the fantastic work mate! :)

Update: Carbing Lower Control Arm braces fitted.

One of the most popular braces upgrades for Celica is the front lower control arm brace, and most go for Cusco. The front lower control arm brace, and the 3-point rear strut bar brace are the two brace I really look forward to. The rest are extras, and it so happened that I was offered a full package at a killer price. Cut to the chase, below are the photos for both front and rear lower control arm braces by another high profile brand - Carbing.

Front lower control arm brace

post-61-1233921449_thumb.jpg

Rear lower control arm brace

post-61-1233921498_thumb.jpg

I have not test the car yet, but judging by the install of the front lower control arm brace it looks like this definitely will produce some positive result. The rear lower control arm brace, however, don't seems to be a functional modifications. Both are very lightweight so those diet freak won't need to worry about the amount of kg added to the Celica.

Time for a quick test drive.

The final results

Alright, I decided to take out the rear lower control arm tomorrow as it touched the muffler pipe badly during load. This is because the rear lower sub-frame sits lower than standard due to the Roll Coupler Adjuster. Rather than damaging the brace, I better take it out and will put it back on once I have change the exhaust in the future.

Besides, I don't think the bar will produce any benefit, but I guess I would never know. Still, this would open new opportunity to try the car without having the rear lower control arm bar.

Though I don't see the benefit of having rear lower control arm bar, the front lower control arm bar does work. The first thing that went to my head the moment I turn the steering wheel is the word stability. Already very impressed with the complete C-One packaging, this adds more sugar the sweet pudding.

If the Roll Coupler Adjust brings stability at the rear, then this bar do so for the front. If you look at the where the bar is connected, to me this has nothing to do with the chassis stiffness. In fact, it now looks like a torsion beam. So I quickly went to Cusco's website and this is what it said about lower control arm brace:

"While the Strut tower bar connects the top end of the suspension, this Lower arm bar is more effecting on stabilizing the wheel alignment. Especially on FWD/AWD models. It helps improve traction when accelerating"

Not sure about improve traction when accelerating, but the word stabilize does ring a bell~!

Since the lower control arm bar do not add more stiffness to the chassis, it did not create more understeer effect. I went to try this on big round about, empty of course: Take the outside line, hold steady partial throttle, swing the steering, give it more throttle then as the rear slide and the car begin to rotate give it some more throttle again. The nose of the car stays on the inside line, and no understeer in this instance. U - turn completed. The car just slide and rotated smoothly.

See, the Celica actually likes sliding and even with all those bars added the character remains but it can do so in a much more stable manner.

And this concludes my Phase 2 suspension modification, and will dial in new wheel alignment to match:

Front camber: -2 degree

Rear camber: -1.5 degree

Front toe: Total + 2mm

Rear toe: Total 0mm, or +1mm

Once I set the alignment numbers, and do more testing I can learn more about the car's new behaviour. I haven't seen much of it, but so far so good and I am very very pleased with everything. Will be needing new tyre soon, and that will bring more fun again, until I step in to Phase 3.

• 1 month later...

Dan. Long time no see. The Celica is turning out to be a treat!! There is a track day 23rd May run in association with EXE Crew and Circuit Club. Winton. Long Track. What say you?

• 3 months later...

New updates:

TRD Quickshifter.

I used to have TRD Quickshifter on my Corolla ZZE Levin, and it really is one of the most enjoyable thing to have for the car. So it's only natural I get one for my Celica.

Most shifter kit is just a shorter rod, but TRD Quickshifter is a whole new cradle assembly which sits higher due to the solid brass mount. The rod itself is shorter above the balljoint, but is longer below the ball joint (that is why the cradle needs to sits higher). So as a result the shift throw is quick but at the same time easy to operate due to adequate leverage (unlike TWM, which really is the same as cutting your std shifter). Solid mount stops the cradle from moving, so you can be sure shifting is solid and precise. Snip - snap affairs I called it.

Install is a breeze, and it will take about 30 mins - 1 hour if you know your interior layout. I now understand why the shifter kit for Celica don't come with the TRD ball gearknob (Corolla's kit comes with the shift knob). Before the shift kit, there is space between the metal ring and the knob. Now the knob will sit right on top of the ring, and being complete round in shape this made it annoying to grab hold. So a quick bluetac job holds the ring from underneath to the spacer on the rod.

So if you have Celica or Corolla, you must consider TRD Quickshifter. At first the shifter may feel a lot heavier, but as you get used to it you will find this shifter kit is made to be abuse. Lovely.

post-61-1245242268_thumb.jpg

post-61-1245242343_thumb.jpg

post-61-1245242417_thumb.jpg