Engine Conversion

87Hilux

Hey everyone, just bought an 87 hilux 2.4l. I bought it because I love the shape of the model and want to do it up as a project, (complete interior swap, extra 6 inch suspension and a new paint job) only problem is, i'm more a spray painter than a mechanic, and It's a bit laggy for me.. and its got too many km's to turbo. Wondering what I could replace the engine with that will be reasonably economic (i've heard some hilux engine conversions can end up in huge fuel losses).

Price is always an issue, but any suggestions will help me alot.

Cheers everyone, Drew.

hey there im a big fan of the older model hilux's also..

you have a few choices though.. if you want to keep it deisel you could find another reconditioned engine like the one you have or similar??

my cousin has a mildly worked 253 in his single cab ute but fuel consumption is not great and hes having gearbox problems.. (will try get some pics soon he is in the milddle of putting it back together)

ive heard they put the the holden v6 in these but never seen one done..

maybe a 1jz??

Edited by $ANGELO$

hi mate....i also own a older hilux,mines a 84 and i am in the middle of putting a vn series 2 commodore motor with 5 speed manual in.....my mate done it to his and thats wat inspired me...lets just say if u wont little amount of traction but good on fuel then go with 'vn commodore motor'..i am also hoping to supercharge it...

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, the good old Rollux erm, hilux

Marks 4WD adapters have one that they use as a promo vehicle. it's got the supercharged 3.8L Ecotec motor in it.

personally what i'd like to se would be somthing like the 3.0L D4D motor or even the new 70 series Turbo diesel V8. maybe even

a diesel donk from VM Motori

i did a vn v6 to a 90 single cab 4x4 lux with the th700 box behind it runnin 33's it went like a shower of **** was an easy conversion if u got mild mechanical knowledge and some electrical know how. the marks 4wd kit is way easy to understand and is good quality as well cost me bout $6000 to do,i did it myself the only thing i got done was the new engine mount welded to the chassis and the conversion to the box done as well but also didnt skimp on anything, hid as much wiring as i could just made it look neat and made sure it was done right the only thing i would do different is leave the manual in and go the later model manual ffrom behind 3.0td models but that needs a new gearbox crossmember to be made ( not that hard really) I rebuilt the auto prob 4 times in 2 years but i drive it hard bitumn and dirt with the 33's burnouts the lot and it overheated once so that didnt help the tranny oil.

The other option i would go and am infact doing right now is putting the 1uz-fe alloy toyota/lexus v8 in ive mated mine to the 3.0td manual box got a dual bypass alloy radiator for it and spendin the coin on this one seen as its got insane horsepower in it. its a tight fit and i have only got 15mm between the rad and idler pulley on the engine and the engine is almost on the firewall (not sure how much bigger/smaller the engine bay in yours would be but the 4runner's have a heaps bigger engine bay u have to move engine forward to make it work).

its a much more complex conversion noone does engine mounts for the 4x4 model yet and and at this stage havent come acrross anyone doing wiring harness conversions for them but thats not a big problem if u use an aftermarket ecu.

i had to make a new crossmember for the box mainly cause i did a 2'' body lift and wanted to get the gearbox as high as possible it only has 30mm hanging below the chassis rail now then u got thing like driveshafts but if u r plannin to do the lift u might as well do it at the same time

i could keep ritin for hrs on this haha but id do the 1uzfe anyday if ya need any info or pics give us a pm and ill send u what i got the cars about 4000ms away at the mo at me ma and pas house so havent seen it for bout 4 months but will help all i can.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case you havent made up your mind yet.

A long time ago ( 1984 ? ) toyota released a rebadged Daihatsu 4x4 fitted with a toyota diesel from the hilux. It was a joke. The original vehicle outperformed the tojo clone 3 times over.

What should of happened was that the Daihatsu diesel engine, should have been fitted to hilux. That would have made the hilux a perfect vehicle. ( except for the steering and rollovers problems )

This is your chance to show toyota what a screw up they made. Dont know how hard to do but I would be looking for a late model Daihatsu Delta 2ton tip truck. Same engine and probably matches your gearbox. Talk to Toyhatsu Wreckers in Vict and Mark 4wd adapters for more info.

Don't even consider the VM Motori - if you want diesel stay jap, even a new hilux diesel would be better than one of those.

If you want lots of go - saw an '85 hilux with a 350 chev in it once. ARB had a V6 commodore conv kit a while back as well.

Have fun and keep your chequebook handy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...