Child Restraint Anchor Points

aardvark

In October I am planning on taking the Kluger from Adelaide to Victoria for the MotoGP. In the vehicle will be myself (6 foot), my wife (5'11"), my brother in law (6'4") and my sister-in-law (6") PLUS our two 2 year olds. The kids aren't yet big enough to be in booster seats, so they will stay in their capsule seat thingos.

At the moment, the only option is to have them in the second row seats, where the anchor points are, and stick a couple of 6 footers in the 3rd row of seats for the 1100km trip!!!

So, I made some enquiries and have found a place in Adelaide who are authorised under Australian Standards to fit extra anchor points. I gave them a call and was shocked at the price.

$64 per point!!!! BARGAIN! I will be getting two extra points put in for the 3rd row seats.

Why the hell don't Toyota do this?

Thanks for the info on this. We're about to buy a KXR 7 seater and have twin babies.

I dont want them in the back row all the time, but for some trips when we have extra adults it would be handy to pop them in the 3rd row.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Interested in this option also - any updates?

No real update. Took the Kluger down to the upholsterer. They took a look at it and say they can easily fit the anchors. Probably not going to get it done until the trip gets a little closer.

I too am keen on the extra anchor points in the third row; however the installer in Brisbane told me that it couldn’t be done and he was recommended by the RACQ. One reason was because the third row is so close to the boot there is no room for an anchor on the roof and the second reason is if the anchor is installed on the back of the seat or on the floor of the boot, the seat is not structural designed to accept the load introduced during crash. I think the installer might have been a bit conservative on that one.

Also is anyone experiencing any problems with the middle anchor in the second row? I find that if I use the child restraint in the middle (which should be the safest) the strap back to the anchor point slides between the outside and the middle seat. (the seat behind the driver and the middle seat are locked together, however the seat on the left in the middle row is totally independent form the other seats in the middle row). I am thinking i will have to get another anchor installed for the 2nd row of the middle seat. Which is a design fault of

I am very disappointed in Toyota as this is marketed as a family car and then can’t get the child restraints anchors right.

Ford has five anchors. The Kluger effectively have only has 2. The Kluger is better than the Ford in every other way to the child restraints.

I think Toyota should make a design available to retrofit anchors in the third row.

the second reason is if the anchor is installed on the back of the seat or on the floor of the boot, the seat is not structural designed to accept the load introduced during crash.

Also is anyone experiencing any problems with the middle anchor in the second row?

I agree with you Peter. My local installed never mentioned anything about the design of the seat not being able to accept the load in the case of a crash. And whilst the location of the load would be different, the seats are designed to hold a reasonable sized adult. I would think that if the seat is approved for, say, a 90kg adult to sit in, and it would be ok in the event of a crash, then a 20 to 30kg baby/capsule combination would be fine...

No problems with the second row, middle anchor here. Maybe it's the design of your capsule?

• 5 months later...

I have 3 kids in seats from rear facing to two mai riders, they fit...just... very difficult with seat belts.

My question is, anyone know of a c****at that uses the anchors for the 2nd row, which are between the flat part of the seat the the vertical back? They are also in my parents mercedes too,m which indicates these seats woudl be anchored not only from the back of the chair, but also on both sides on the seats as well, thats 3 anchors!

Slide your fingers in there and see. Currently we cant use the 3rd row as once the 3 seats are in, rear facing prevents us to move it forward and also my wife needs a bit of space up front lol

You mean ISOFIX c****ats? No you cannot buy them in Australia thanks to the always stupid Australia Design Rules.

Import them from internet or eBay. My friend ever conscious wife brought one for her newborn (now 6 months) baby. It is all around Europe for close if not over 10 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to RACQ in Townsville, North Queensland. They recommended MMS. Mobility Modification Services & Dave Price Crash Repairs. These guys are at 31 Hamill Street, Garbutt, 07 4779 7878.

They quoted $300 for the pair.

Job they do is remove rear seat and remove its upolstry, bugger the wording :) and then weld a plate on each side that has a thread in it. They then use this to mount a similar slim line clip as those mounted in the centre seating. This clip is mounted in such a way that it can be removed when not in use.

I have a same problem with the second rowseats. The seatbelt has a lock on it to stop it extending further. It is only in the rear seats wear a child seat would be placed to maintain the tension of the belt. The problem is, the belt can not be extended, even a little, once its put on. My son hates it as it stops him pick up thing from around the seat. Is this a general problem that others have?

Am currently travelling the east coast of oz, both the KX-R RWD and KX-R AWD have this "Feature"

I have a same problem with the second rowseats. The seatbelt has a lock on it to stop it extending further. It is only in the rear seats wear a child seat would be placed to maintain the tension of the belt. The problem is, the belt can not be extended, even a little, once its put on. My son hates it as it stops him pick up thing from around the seat. Is this a general problem that others have?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I am new to this forum as just recently purchased new 09 Kluger Altitude last month. Anyone out there know where in Melbourne you can get the third row seating infant bolts added? We just found out we are having triplets. I think we will really need the two extra bolts in the third row, just in case as we already have a 2.5 yr old boy. The plan might be to have the boy and 1 in the third row and the other two in the second row. Otherwise it will have to be all three new ones in second row and the boy climbing over the back all the time. I hope someone can help out.

Anyone know a place in Sydney the anchor points?

We always used a place called "Littles Child Restraints" look it up in the phone book. Can't tell you how much they would charge tho.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi, I am new to this forum as just recently purchased new 09 Kluger Altitude last month. Anyone out there know where in Melbourne you can get the third row seating infant bolts added? We just found out we are having triplets. I think we will really need the two extra bolts in the third row, just in case as we already have a 2.5 yr old boy. The plan might be to have the boy and 1 in the third row and the other two in the second row. Otherwise it will have to be all three new ones in second row and the boy climbing over the back all the time. I hope someone can help out.

taswegian - if you had two baby seats in the 2nd row, how would you even get to the 3rd row without removing one of the seats everytime?? I just installed a convertible seat in my new 09 KX-S and discovered the only real option is behind the driver - and even that is a tight fit for a rear-facing seat! The middle seat is useless, and the passenger side seat is the only way into the back row. :angry:

This is a serious design flaw by Toyota.