What aren't you happy with in your new Kluger?

leighthebee

Monday, the day I pick up my car.

That is their selling point. They have told me that before I sign the contact and in the contract they listed the car will be registered on the date of delivery ie the day you drive off drom dealership

Edited by Taka

I am surprised that there's something in Kluger's ride that seems to be better than Territory. I'm being sracastic here but - and there's no intention to start a war here but - reading AU car reviews I developed an impression that Territory's ride is supreme and very few / if any cars in the category of family SUV (including - according to reviewers - much more expensive eruopean models) can compete with Ford Territory there.

The Australian motoring press has had a long standing love affair with the Territory and heaven forbid anyone that says a bad word about it. On the other hand, say a bad thing about the Falcon and you'll find them cheering for you from the rooftops and shouting "Go the Commodore". I mean, how can anyone take the Aussie motoring journalists seriously when they try and convince us that the VE Commodore is a better car than a 5 series Beemer?

Personally, I find that the territory is a bit too soft and squishy for my liking, perfect for most of the lard ****d people that buy them I suppose.

The Kluger could certainly have some improvements made - I'd like to see the front end tightened up a little and have some of the lack of feel through the wheel sorted out - but give me the Kluger suspension and body roll any day over the Ford.

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in buying a car based on reviews. The only way to buy a car is to find one or two that tick all the boxes, drive them, speak to other owners, then buy the one you like the most.

<_< I hate to break your ill-conceived perception. I own a Territory, purchased at the age of 37 and I am very fit & muscular.

The Kluger has excellent suspension for what it was designed for; off-road work & city driving.

Remember that the Territory is has been round for a few years now. The vehicle was designed with the idea that most SUVs do not leave the bitumen, so one of the main design factors was to build a SUV that handled & rode as closely to a sedan as possible; low centre of gravity, four wheel independent suspension, medium profile tyres, relocated steering rack.

It was one of the first and so captured the eyes and hearts of a lot of people. Wheels magazine help prove some of the Territory benefit with their WHEELS ACTIVE SAFETY PROGRAM back in 2005 http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=29525

I'm sure that the new Kluger has similar dynamics to the Territory, however it does have a few things against it; higher centre of gravity, weight distribution and on the Grand - low profile tyres.

Enjoy your Kluger, Toyota produce nice vehicles.

perfect for most of the lard ****d people that buy them I suppose.

<_< I hate to break your ill-conceived perception. I own a Territory, purchased at the age of 37 and I am very fit & muscular.

In all fairness, I did say most! :rolleyes:

Saw a Territory driver of the type I mentioned a couple of days ago. He was driving along, opening and closing his door. Each time he closed it, seemed to be more forceful than the last.

Pulled up next to him at the lights and asked him what the hell he was doing. Turns out his drivers door has dropped and the latch doesn't quite line up properly. This is a problem that has haunted Ford since the early 70's and I'm suprised they haven't got it sorted out yet. On the other hand, if you buy a Holden, expect the glovebox to fall out.

This is my first Toyota, anyone with more experience know what they are renown for?

Saw a Territory driver of the type I mentioned a couple of days ago. He was driving along, opening and closing his door. Each time he closed it, seemed to be more forceful than the last.

Pulled up next to him at the lights and asked him what the hell he was doing. Turns out his drivers door has dropped and the latch doesn't quite line up properly. This is a problem that has haunted Ford since the early 70's and I'm suprised they haven't got it sorted out yet. On the other hand, if you buy a Holden, expect the glovebox to fall out.

This is my first Toyota, anyone with more experience know what they are renown for?

Mmmm <_< Haven't heard of that one on either the Territory or the Falcon BA - BF (use the same hinges). Hope it's not about to be a common fault, I'll ask the lads at http://www.fordforums.com.au

perfect for most of the lard ****d people that buy them I suppose.

In all fairness, I did say most! :rolleyes:

One thing Im concerned about in late model fords, in particular the territory is the quality of some of the plastics that are used especially in areas where strength and some sort of structural integrity is required, like door locks, widow rails, bonnet release levers and other plastics that clip or are required for some sort of strength. It seems like the plastic is too weak or brittle or they dont use enough plastic and eventually breaks and these days where plastics are used more and more in significant areas of cars I would be particularly worried.

What may of happened to this guys door, is his plastic widow clip broke then it caused the window to drop which in turn broke his door lock and the door wouldnt close/lock, this is quite common. Imagine if this happened going around a corner with someone leaning against the inside of the door.

I'll ask the lads at http://www.fordforums.com.au

Despite what your mates at the fordforums think:

"cough-coughbulls**tcough-cough!!!"

I've only passed on what the driver of the Territory told me. I personally don't have alot against the Territory, it was 3rd on my list after the Kluger and Odyssey, and had only been knocked out of second place by the new Kluger.

Mmmm <_< Haven't heard of that one on either the Territory or the Falcon BA - BF (use the same hinges). Hope it's not about to be a common fault, I'll ask the lads at http://www.fordforums.com.au

OK, this is what I found out -

I had that problem, when the window fell down the clip wouldnt let the door shut..
I've had that too. Was repaired by the Dealers under the TSB (when my car was under warranty). I've never heard of door dropping, and I've been in and out of Falcons since the 80's.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11212025

Thanks JD for your honest approach to this thread. Like yourself, I am a multiple Forum member,as are several other prominment members of this forum (you know who you are !!!).We all have our vehicle loyalities but who's to say we don't own both? We take the ***** out of the "other" manufactures because in some small way it helps to justify in our own mind our purchase of that particular vehicle which I'm sure nobody took lightly before they signed on the dotted line. I am equally positive that no member of either forum would wish any mishap/problem onto another manufacturer or their followers because as wev'e all seen numerous times, tomorrow it may happen to us !! We are all here to sing the praises of our particular Make and model but also to learn it's weaknesses and more importantly to share these thoughts and experiences with our cyber friends so we can all learn. At the end of the day we all want to enjoy our cars to the fullest whatever they are.

I think that "Terra Australis" may be right...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW!!!!! johnydep... followed the link you put up for the toyota site...introduced me to an entire new world ...maybe we should invite them on our next cruise and show them how much fun we have in our Territories...

I think we should all get together and have a "Bloody Good Weekend" United we stand and show the "stealers" we mean buisiness.(and take the ***** in person)

Thanks JD for your honest approach to this thread. Like yourself, I am a multiple Forum member,as are several other prominment members of this forum (you know who you are !!!).We all have our vehicle loyalities but who's to say we don't own both? We take the ***** out of the "other" manufactures because in some small way it helps to justify in our own mind our purchase of that particular vehicle which I'm sure nobody took lightly before they signed on the dotted line. I am equally positive that no member of either forum would wish any mishap/problem onto another manufacturer or their followers because as wev'e all seen numerous times, tomorrow it may happen to us !! We are all here to sing the praises of our particular Make and model but also to learn it's weaknesses and more importantly to share these thoughts and experiences with our cyber friends so we can all learn. At the end of the day we all want to enjoy our cars to the fullest whatever they are.

I think that "Terra Australis" may be right...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW!!!!! johnydep... followed the link you put up for the toyota site...introduced me to an entire new world ...maybe we should invite them on our next cruise and show them how much fun we have in our Territories...

I think we should all get together and have a "Bloody Good Weekend" United we stand and show the "stealers" we mean buisiness.(and take the ***** in person)

A friendly cruise would be great, maybe even a combined thread :toast:

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of small gripes; we're coming from a Lexus to the base model Kluger, so that might have a bearing. :)

- the stereo sucks. It sounds like its in mono and coming through a mobile phone speaker. (actually some phones sound better!)

- the plastic is well... plastic! Bit hard to get used to after a Lexus interior. The steering wheel feels sticky in my hands.

- I can hear stones being thrown up under the vehicle a lot more (and Im even higher off the road now) when i first heard it I thought stones were hitting the door. To be fair though, my Lexus weighs heaps due to all the sound deadening.

- no roof rails on the base model. They were taken out by the looks of things. every other kluger/highlander in the world has roof rails Must be a decision from the Toyota Australia marketing department.

But there's plenty to like; the cloth seats are amazingly comfortable and plush - even more so than the Lexus which surprised me. The engine and gearbox rocks! The visibility is very good for such a big vehicle. The inclusions for a base model vehicle are generally very good (cruise control for example)

Overall, we're very happy with the car. Im adding fog lights, side steps, tow bar and roof rails in myself over the next few weeks. The other little gripes Im sure Ill get used to. Probably will replace the stereo, I work in audio for a living, and just cant bear it! B)

A couple of small gripes; we're coming from a Lexus to the base model Kluger, so that might have a bearing. :)

- the stereo sucks. It sounds like its in mono and coming through a mobile phone speaker. (actually some phones sound better!)

- the plastic is well... plastic! Bit hard to get used to after a Lexus interior. The steering wheel feels sticky in my hands.

- I can hear stones being thrown up under the vehicle a lot more (and Im even higher off the road now) when i first heard it I thought stones were hitting the door. To be fair though, my Lexus weighs heaps due to all the sound deadening.

- no roof rails on the base model. They were taken out by the looks of things. every other kluger/highlander in the world has roof rails Must be a decision from the Toyota Australia marketing department.

But there's plenty to like; the cloth seats are amazingly comfortable and plush - even more so than the Lexus which surprised me. The engine and gearbox rocks! The visibility is very good for such a big vehicle. The inclusions for a base model vehicle are generally very good (cruise control for example)

Overall, we're very happy with the car. Im adding fog lights, side steps, tow bar and roof rails in myself over the next few weeks. The other little gripes Im sure Ill get used to. Probably will replace the stereo, I work in audio for a living, and just cant bear it! B)

Hey if your in audio, what head unit would you recommend with touch screen and sat nav? I didnt like the one on offer from toyota as an upgrade.

Are the speakers any good or should we replace those as well?

Hey if your in audio, what head unit would you recommend with touch screen and sat nav? I didnt like the one on offer from toyota as an upgrade.

Are the speakers any good or should we replace those as well?

Hi, I work in computer game audio, so Im not an expert in the best models of car audio units etc.

Having said that, here's a couple of considerations for sat nav, depending on what you want to spend;

Pioneer Avic HD3 is the ducks nuts but very pricey; http://www.cnet.com.au/cartech/gps/0,20004...39277688,00.htm

The cheaper Pioneer D3 is cool - but it only has one disc slot. So if you want to change your GPS route, you'll have to eject your audio disc and pop the map disc back in; http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/10/20/2...C-D3/index.html

I cant really vouch for the speakers yet, as first I want to improve the head unit. If it still sounds like *******, there are plenty of aftermarket speakers at the same dimension of whats already in the Toyota. http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Speakers-Store-s/11.htm

I am generally very happy with my new KXR except a few minor issues:

1) the fabric patten of the seats looks bit.... I don't want to use "cheap", but it is a bit loose. Although it is really comfortable, it could looks better if Toyota put a little more effort.

2) the KXR instrument panel is too plastic, again a little more design will make a difference.

3) the car come with dark color window, but the dealer told me they don't know how much UV protection it come with, and they don't know how to find the info.

I work in computer game audio......... If it still sounds like *******, there are plenty of aftermarket speakers

I wont tell you that I play all my games using the onboard AC97 sound and a $20 pair of headphones then.... :)

I work in computer game audio......... If it still sounds like *******, there are plenty of aftermarket speakers

I wont tell you that I play all my games using the onboard AC97 sound and a $20 pair of headphones then.... :)

Haha, lol man. :) Funny thing is, when im just playing my setup is much the same. For audio creation though, its a different story.

3) the car come with dark color window, but the dealer told me they don't know how much UV protection it come with, and they don't know how to find the info.

If they made a simple call to the technical people at head office would have told them this..... but, it wouldn't have made them $$ telling you this information as I said, they can't make their money selling your "clear" tint. Like wearing clothes made of invisible cotton and people would pay for it...

(1) Windshield

Colour Glass : Green

Type : Laminated

UV Cut Rate : 99 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 47.8 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 78.9 %

(2) Sliding Roof

Colour Glass : Gray

Type : Tempered

UV Cut Rate : 95.4 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 18.9 %

(3) Front Door

UV Cut Rate : 91.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 55.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 72.8 %

(4) Rear Door Privacy

Colour Glass : Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 96.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 82.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 20.8 %

(5) Rear Quarter Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 90.2 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 23.6 %

(6) Back Door Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 95.9 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 89.6 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 11.1 %

I must agree the stereo on the KXR sucks! FM sounds like AM. Even the single CD unit on my ex Corolla was slightly better

Do u guys think its the unit itself or the speakers are crappy?

Hi Boleh, its hard to say, often you can upgrade the head unit and notice a significant increase in audio performance.

The good thing is, if you upgrade the head unit for more features (built in bluetooth for example), and the sound is still lacking, it wont cost much to upgrade the speakers.

If they made a simple call to the technical people at head office would have told them this..... but, it wouldn't have made them $$ telling you this information as I said, they can't make their money selling your "clear" tint. Like wearing clothes made of invisible cotton and people would pay for it...

(1) Windshield

Type : Laminated

UV Cut Rate : 99 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 47.8 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 78.9 %

(2) Sliding Roof

Colour Glass : Gray

UV Cut Rate : 95.4 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 18.9 %

(3) Front Door

UV Cut Rate : 91.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 55.5 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 72.8 %

(4) Rear Door Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 96.8 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 82.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 20.8 %

(5) Rear Quarter Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 90.2 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 78.2 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 23.6 %

(6) Back Door Privacy

UV Cut Rate : 95.9 %

Solar Heat Reduction Rate : 89.6 %

Visible Light Transmission Rate: 11.1 %

Many thanks, then no point to do any tinting, it saved me $$$

BTW,how do you got such detail information?

• 5 weeks later...

I found one thing that I don't like about the Kluger and it is very stupid.

When I have my moonroof on. They will warn you only after the door is open. And you have to put on ignition mode to get it close. Since my light is on the auto mode. The light will turn on in the garage and will not turn off until you close the door. Switch the car off. And open it again.

What a hassle! :wacko: