Handling

black turkey

hi, my friend keeps saying that his lancer can corner faster than my car and handle better. and i thought that mine would handle better than his. he has just a basic '99 lancer, one with the small spoiler and thats all everything is stock as a rock. and i have a stock 92celica.

I'm just kinda stuck cos i don't really know who's car would handle better. he also says that the lancer is faster to, which i can believe cos its a lot lighter.

anyone know which car is better or a way to find out (legally) (Google doesn't answer it)

hi, my friend keeps saying that his lancer can corner faster than my car and handle better. and i thought that mine would handle better than his. he has just a basic '99 lancer, one with the small spoiler and thats all everything is stock as a rock. and i have a stock 92celica.

I'm just kinda stuck cos i don't really know who's car would handle better. he also says that the lancer is faster to, which i can believe cos its a lot lighter.

anyone know which car is better or a way to find out (legally) (Google doesn't answer it)

Hmmm, 92 Celica = ST184, thus it has the 2.2L 5SFE Camry engine. Should be faster than a Lancer, especially if it's a 1.5L (a lot of them are). If you want to test handling (in a legal way), go find a nice quiet stretch of twisty road and see which is better whilst still sticking to the speed limit. I would be surprised if it's the Lancer, especially if it's stock.

Hmmm, 92 Celica = ST184, thus it has the 2.2L 5SFE Camry engine. Should be faster than a Lancer, especially if it's a 1.5L (a lot of them are). If you want to test handling (in a legal way), go find a nice quiet stretch of twisty road and see which is better whilst still sticking to the speed limit. I would be surprised if it's the Lancer, especially if it's stock.

his is the 1.8litre i think. i should still be faster? there is a place about an hour away where there is some very twisty roads with dips and tight corners, its a 100km/h speed limit but around nearly every corner there are the signs that say to take the corner at 60 (the little yellow ones under the corner ahead sign), this would be a nice place to test it out you reckon?

i always thought my car would handle better than a lencer, i thought they were really bland cars. but ill find out, maybe next weekend.

Lol don't you love people who are all talk... Tell your mate to put up or shut up and take him to the track

I still think it will be a tight race on a track. Handling comes into play for the first two laps (max) and from there on end it's all about brakes and tyres as they'll be cooked/melted. hehehe

My last car was a 93 Lancer, lowered and wide wheels. Currently I've got a 95 Celica with the same engine as yours -5SFE- and I know which one I'd pick. Lancers aren't much, a Celica handles way better and has more power.

thats what i keep telling him, but he is like "Lamcers are made for corners" im like WTF are you on about. you dont drive a **** evo!!! but then he is all yeah but since they are based on eachother my lancer still corners really good so i tell him to go **** himself.

then he comes up later and says "your car is lower so that mean, yours will have less chance of flipping but my car can corner faster (he emphasized faster)" at that point i realized he is douche that has got no knowledge of the topic.

i have made a bet i will beat him through the place where going and the winner gets 50 bucks and a tank of fuel. i cant wait.

p.s after school he showed me his tyres and said, that because they are thinner they can make me turn faster and sharper and that thick tyres are only used for not loosing traction when accelerating but suck at cornering. i told him that that is true when we are in a carpark doing less that 20. but he still insists that he will kill me in a handling race....bring it on. (his tyres are also nearly bold lol)

Edited by black turkey

Your friend is an idiot. Don't go out and do silly things on the road because of a quarrel like that. Tell him to grow up and save for a real car...

EDIT: ...and a CAMS licence and see how he goes on a real track

Edited by Tayles

i wanna put him in his place once and for all tho and a free tank of fuel sounds good. i dont think the racetrack here has open day like events where we can just go on it and race around ill ask around if it does. but I'm thinking there wouldnt be as much of a gap between us on a track compared to tight-ish twisting roads.

dude ur friends an idiot.....ur celica will carve his lancer up for sure.....a lancer is more of a coupe or sedan....ur celica is a sports car!! it has a more poweful engine and it will corner alot better than his lance for sure!! dont waste ur time with his trash talk...and dont bother racing coz it aint worth it 2 prove something tht is jst soo true.....

Guest dong-soo

the car with the better tyres would be the better handeling of the 2 i would say.

a lot more to it than that, but basically true.

it depends on the road type (things such as if the spring rates and shock stroke suit the road) and also things such as springrate and camber settings to make use of the tyres grip.

Guest dong-soo
but he is like "Lamcers are made for corners" im like WTF are you on about. you dont drive a **** evo!!! but then he is all yeah but since they are based on eachother

lancer proberly shares like 1 maybe 2 percent (if that.. lol) of its suspension with a evo...

yes i would say mitsubishu mass produces bolts used so maybe every mitsu has the same bolts as evo ?? haha yep evo suspension ftw... ^__-

Edited by dong-soo

• 1 month later...

i know this is kind of an old thread now, but i was shaking my head for so long after reading this.

did you end up going through with any "race"? if you havent yet, dont bother. i can just imagine whoever goes second wont bother doing any less than 100k around most corners there. even though those corners are rated(the yellow sign you were talking about) at speeds for bad weather conditions, some are still very dangerous.

you said "after school". doesnt sound like either of you would have the driving experiance to really put these cars to the test anyway. im sure the celica would handle better than a stock lancer, but if you do come out of it slower than he does, it could simply mean he is a better driver, or you were just being more careful than he was.

thats so typical of a lancer driver..

oh look at me.. i drive a lancer..WOooo.. be afraid..be very afraid

RUBBISH~

ask him shaft his ding dong up the lancer exhaust..maybe it`ll go faster then??

n dont go racing some retarded mofo..not worth it..n its dangerous..

let him be the only retarded mofo..dont join his club

Those who drive on the streets revving their engine at the lights wanting to drag are sissies, trying to make up for their own lack of manhood :whistling:

As for females who do that, they just have an oversized clitoris.

I call it the "Pussy with a gun" syndrome. :whistling::whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
haha tell ur mate to get a toyota..... lancers r for girly girls who love puttin them stupid pink playboy stickers on it.. i hope he doesnt have any.. stickers would make his car look faster tho hahaha... lol ive got a st204 with the 5sfe 2.2ltre engine in it... get some pretty dumb people in lancers wanting to race.... they never win! so i say get your mate on da road and im sure once your done with him he will be sellin his car and buying a toyota haha

lolz funny you said that,I thought Celica was nick named Hairdresser sports car with one different,if I'm not mistaken Celica was built for sportier people in mind who couldn't afford GT2000 then while Lancer was built for just cheap means of transportation,just compare the price

But who cares,main thing your car is still has sex appeal lolz,while Lancer is like sand at the beach unless he thinks his car is an EVO

Edited by alloo

• 3 weeks later...

haha

i know this is old

just wanted to 100% clear it up

celica's handle heaps better then lancer

drove a 03 sports lancer

with brand new tires that i fitted (this was on a test drive at work)

took it

hammered it around roundabouts corners

handles ****

its to big

it feels like its gonna tip

just

yuckkk