ZRE152 Owners gearbox questions.

Hi guys and girls,

I got a couple of questions.

I drive the new corolla conquest 6spd manual.

Just wondering, do you guys get rather loud clicking (or flicking) noises when you change between gears, especially from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd? Would it be the cables making these noises? For me it's slowly getting louder and louder. I noticed this when I first got my car and when I took it in for a feww 1000km service, they techy said it's normal. The cables at doing it's work *shrugs*

Secondly, do your reverse gear tend to crunch? Even when my car is dead still and all warmed up (i.e. temp meter just below half way) it still gives a crunch when I put it in reverse with the clutch all the way down. Anyone have this problem?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Jase

Secondly, do your reverse gear tend to crunch? Even when my car is dead still and all warmed up (i.e. temp meter just below half way) it still gives a crunch when I put it in reverse with the clutch all the way down. Anyone have this problem?

Cheers,

Jase

hey...

not sure about the 1st question but with the second you just need to pump the clutch a couple of times. For example, if you want to go into reverse and it seems as if you have to force it or its about to crunch, leave the car in neutral and pump the clutch 2 to 3 times and then try again in reverse.

Hi guys and girls,

I got a couple of questions.

I drive the new corolla conquest 6spd manual.

Just wondering, do you guys get rather loud clicking (or flicking) noises when you change between gears, especially from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd? Would it be the cables making these noises? For me it's slowly getting louder and louder. I noticed this when I first got my car and when I took it in for a feww 1000km service, they techy said it's normal. The cables at doing it's work *shrugs*

Cheers,

Jase

I've got an auto and at one point there was one time I heard a flick on reverse wasn't too sure wat is was though... It's only when I give it a bit of gas it flicks..

Edited by o12lando

I know about the clutch, cos sometimes the teeth might be jamming together...that I understand.

The problem here is, it seems like the crunch is like a sweep of the teeth of gears. For example, in the morning I wake up and start the car. I let the car warm up a little bit so the rev goes down, then I put it in reverse to back out of the garage. When I do so, it's not so much I can't get the gear stick to go into reverse. On the contrary, it actually goes in quite well, except I can feel the gear sweeping (i.e. CRUNCH!) lol

If that makes sense? If it don't I'll just show you guys at the next meet. Although it only happens once in a while. Like 1 outa 7 times.

Cheers,

Jase

I know about the clutch, cos sometimes the teeth might be jamming together...that I understand.

The problem here is, it seems like the crunch is like a sweep of the teeth of gears. For example, in the morning I wake up and start the car. I let the car warm up a little bit so the rev goes down, then I put it in reverse to back out of the garage. When I do so, it's not so much I can't get the gear stick to go into reverse. On the contrary, it actually goes in quite well, except I can feel the gear sweeping (i.e. CRUNCH!) lol

If that makes sense? If it don't I'll just show you guys at the next meet. Although it only happens once in a while. Like 1 outa 7 times.

Cheers,

Jase

yeah... its sounds more and more like you do have to pump the clutch. Try it whenever it happens, guarenteed it will help you with this problem.

Im no mechanic guru but I think its cause in your case 1 out of 7 starts the reverse gears are not lined up, which is normal for a manual, and by pumping the clutch help sync the reverse gear.

Cheers,

Jase

yeah... its sounds more and more like you do have to pump the clutch. Try it whenever it happens, guarenteed it will help you with this problem.

Im no mechanic guru but I think its cause in your case 1 out of 7 starts the reverse gear are not lined up, which is normal for a manual, and by pumping the clutch help sync the reverse gear.

Edited by 2ZR - FE

I'm not sure if the 6 speed in the new corolla's are similar to the Sportivo boxes, but mine also clicks into gear. Perfectly natural. Gearboxes with synchro's make those noises I'm sure.

When engaging into reverse, simply let the revs die down with the clutch in (wait about 5 seconds odd before putting it in reverse). I think it's the flywheel that causes the issue with crunching. If you try and slam it into reverse without waiting for the flywheel to die down it will crunch basically.

Okie dokie, thanks for the info guys.

But does anyone have the gear changing problem? Has it got to do with the cables moving when changing gears? I'm really curious as to why this is happening, I've driven ample of manual cars and this is the first time I've come across something like this.

Thanks,

Jase

Okie dokie, thanks for the info guys.

But does anyone have the gear changing problem? Has it got to do with the cables moving when changing gears? I'm really curious as to why this is happening, I've driven ample of manual cars and this is the first time I've come across something like this.

Thanks,

Jase

I seriously think it's the synchros. Cables rattle if they are screwed from experience (*** they annoyed the **** out of me).

A bit of click click kind of noise is normal, especially when you have the radio off and you can hear it clearly, but it shouldn't be so loud that it sounds like it's breaking.

If you think it's actually getting louder, I would return it and have it looked at to put your mind at ease.

• 1 month later...

G'day All

Got a Levin ZR Hatch 07 and also crunches. What I have found is that I need to wait about 3 seconds (neutral and foot off clutch) until I pop it into reverse. If I do it too quickly (because sometimes I forget), it will usually crunch which sounds awful on a brand new car! I asked Lander Toyota at Blacktown and they said (and I quote) 'it probably just needs wearing in, wait till the 10000K service and see how you go'.

Looks like us 07 Rolla owners (stick shifts) will have to be very very careful with our reverse gears. CRUNCHING is very damaging from what I have heard.

APART from that, THE CAR IS FANTASTIC!

Peace out all.

Manny