200 Auto Box

stephano

My first land cruiser was an 84 60 series diesel purchased in 86 (as new condition from a Pitt Street farmer). I had it for around 14 years and all I did to it was new suspension and wider wheels. In that time it had one set of glow plugs, several sets of tyres and a couple of batteries. A great truck. After a long gap I purchased our current 4x4, a 2005 diesel twin cab Hilux which has given great service but has trouble pulling our camper trailer and boat up hills (not at the same time, I might add). So after a long break, we are about to take delivery of a 200 GXL diesel (can't wait). I'm rapt at the prospect of the V8 for towing and general work and the fact it rides and performs so well. My only concern is the gear box (apart from the lack of proper bumper bars and no power outlet in the boot). I've never owned an automatic and wonder how others have found the box in the diesel (I know all about the issue with 6th). How have others found it?

My first land cruiser was an 84 60 series diesel purchased in 86 (as new condition from a Pitt Street farmer). I had it for around 14 years and all I did to it was new suspension and wider wheels. In that time it had one set of glow plugs, several sets of tyres and a couple of batteries. A great truck. After a long gap I purchased our current 4x4, a 2005 diesel twin cab Hilux which has given great service but has trouble pulling our camper trailer and boat up hills (not at the same time, I might add). So after a long break, we are about to take delivery of a 200 GXL diesel (can't wait). I'm rapt at the prospect of the V8 for towing and general work and the fact it rides and performs so well. My only concern is the gear box (apart from the lack of proper bumper bars and no power outlet in the boot). I've never owned an automatic and wonder how others have found the box in the diesel (I know all about the issue with 6th). How have others found it?

Hi Stephano

I have had my Diesel 200 Sahara for a whole 10 days and have completed some good trips. I have to say that this gearbox is totally seamless, with it almost impossible to hear or feel the gear changes on or off road. The sequential 6 speed allows you to be very accurate and almost manual as you do your own changes. The power and turbos have been great. I have had 5 cruisers over 25 years and this is the most enjoyable gearbox so far. Also it has taken the pressure off and the "cruise control" is very accurate.

I have now completed 3 fuel checks and the results have been pleasing - these are my own calculations with fuel used etc. Another pleasing factor is the the computor calculation by the vehicle is almost identical.

1. 256 kms - 50% city and 50% country 100 kph = 13.6 l/ 100

2. 348 kms - 20% city and 80 % highway 100 / 110 kph = 11.8 l/100

3. 210 kms - all at 110 kph freeway = 10.2 l/100

Thanks Towering

That's encouraging.

S.