KDSS Suspension

Rastus

Hi All, I am new to the forum and I am about to purchase a new diesel Land Cruiser 200. I am wanting the cruiser to tow a large van, can anyone tell me if the KDSS Suspesion will be an advantage for towing? I also have been told that if KDSS Suspension is put onto the GXL you loose the second fuel tank, is this so? Thanks

KDSS does take away the sub tank, leaving the 93L main tank. Around town you get around 600km. More for highway. This is for drag racing at traffic lights, smoking nearly every car next to you!! I must say the 200 suspension, drive train, NVH are vastly superior to the LC100. Not as hard, harsh nor noisy. Pulling a trailer full of furniture was a breeze. No extra noises from the components. You can upgrade the suspension shock absorbers and coils, while leaving the KDSS intact.

I made the decision with my GXL TD not to go with KDSS, mainly for financial reasons. Time will tell if this was the right move - I would have liked to do a comparison with the two systems but no 'real' test drives were available at the time I signed on the dotted line (I'm not talking about round the block).

I wasn't aware of losing the sub-tank so that's one bit of good news - I wanted the full 138 litres. Pulling either the boat or camper trailer with the old 3 litre TD Hilux with a standard tank, I seemed to be filling up every 250ks.

Hi All, I am new to the forum and I am about to purchase a new diesel Land Cruiser 200. I am wanting the cruiser to tow a large van, can anyone tell me if the KDSS Suspesion will be an advantage for towing? I also have been told that if KDSS Suspension is put onto the GXL you loose the second fuel tank, is this so? Thanks

Hi Rastus

If you want to tow a large van I personally would not have the KDSS and get the the extra fuel tank instead which will increase your towing range from 400 klm to 600 klm which is a massive advantage when travelling outback remote areas etc. Even travelling in populated areas you don't have to go through the dramas as much to find the diesel bowsers which are an extinct species in some Australian fuel stations and some are nearly impossible to get to with a van on.

The KDSS will not be of any advantage when towing a van and the extra $2500 could be better spent on bullbars , driving lights , brake controllers , heavy wiring for fridges etc.

Regards Tony

Edited by killtrassy

• 11 months later...

KDSS and Sub fuel tank

I recntly purchase a GXL LC200 turbo diesel and had it optioned with KDSS the sub fuel tank is still in place. Strangely only the diesels do not cone with KDSS as standard.

The info I got that some higher grade modelds do not have the exta tank is do to whight limits.

I have yet to to any serious load as I am just running in. The stabilty and ride is excellent considering the size of the vehicle.

I will be pullung 2t+ offroad van very soon so I cannot comment on issues with towing.

Hope this helps.

White LC2

• 4 weeks later...
KDSS does take away the sub tank, leaving the 93L main tank. Around town you get around 600km. More for highway. This is for drag racing at traffic lights, smoking nearly every car next to you!! I must say the 200 suspension, drive train, NVH are vastly superior to the LC100. Not as hard, harsh nor noisy. Pulling a trailer full of furniture was a breeze. No extra noises from the components. You can upgrade the suspension shock absorbers and coils, while leaving the KDSS intact.

Nope.....You are wrong. I have an 1/08 GXL V8 TTD and it fitted with both KDSS and the subtank. This is a common misconception. The reason the subtank is not offered in the other diesel models as standard is due to weight issues.

You can now tho, order a VX or Sahara diesel with the subtank, but you loose the KDSS and sunroof.

Cheers.

• 11 years later...