Traction Control

aardvark

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the traction control in the FWD Kluger?

It's been raining a bit here in Adelaide today. I stopped at an intersection, saw a gap, put the boot in and the front wheels just lit up all the way across the intersection. Not the way I would have expected the traction control to work....

Anyone else find that it doesn't seem to do much?

Well, my only experience has been with the test drive. It was dry, I thought id put the foot down a little to test the engines power and responsiveness. I ended up doing a burn out on the test drive!

The dealer immediately said; "did you feel the traction control kick in?" I politely said yes, but the truth is, the car only stopped spinning its wheels when i let go of the accelerator. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with a large trailer on the back on wet roads. Even a moderate take-off around a corner on a roundabout had the front spinning until I got off the throttle. It's about the only time I've driven it in the wet and so I was left a little underwhelmed by the TC's effectiveness.

I actually find the throttle a little touchy from a stand still. Nothing and then whoosh. It doesn't feel progressive to me. Does anyone else notice the same? Maybe I'm still getting used to it because I dont drive it often. Is it a drive-by-wire throttle?

If the traction control works very well. You will still sit in your lane. :lol:

Front wheel drive traction control needs to calculate the steering angle and if they are too aggressive they are not much fun.

If you have time, can find and drive Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, you will find their traction control is the most aggressive. I can come across during research for my RX-8 and during test drive on a dry road large roundabout, I could make ESP work very easily (for a 184kW V6). So aggressive that it makes the car so slow and I barely got out of the way from the coming traffic.

I also driven a Mazda MPS 3 with 190kW at the front wheel at a wet Sandown drive day. Man it is scary. The traction control is on and the car pushes out (understeer) on power.

Is it a drive-by-wire throttle?

It is a drive by wire throttle.

After everything I've read about the Kluger traction/stability control and what I've seen with the cruise control, I'm starting to think that Toyota's solution to criticism that their previous sowftware was too obtrusive was to just introduce a delay to when it operates.

• 2 weeks later...

After everything I've read about the Kluger traction/stability control and what I've seen with the cruise control, I'm starting to think that Toyota's solution to criticism that their previous sowftware was too obtrusive was to just introduce a delay to when it operates.

Traction control in a front driver is always going to be a hit and miss situation. As you accelerate in it, the weight is transfered to the rear and therefore it is easier to get wheelspin. When towing, the front will always lift a little, therefore even less weight through the driving wheels. The same system in a commodore works far better. I have a barine SRI(FWD) and the same thing happens, if i push it hard, it will start protesting lots! Remember, the kluger has over 200 killer wasps going through the wheels.

I will be going for the AWD.

Traction control in a front driver is always going to be a hit and miss situation. As you accelerate in it, the weight is transfered to the rear and therefore it is easier to get wheelspin. When towing, the front will always lift a little, therefore even less weight through the driving wheels. The same system in a commodore works far better. I have a barine SRI(FWD) and the same thing happens, if i push it hard, it will start protesting lots! Remember, the kluger has over 200 killer wasps going through the wheels.

So is it worth the $4500 and go for the AWD?I was told if you not really using the car for off road its not worth spending the extra $4500 for AWD.I've ordered a FWD grande(arriving July) , thinking of changing to AWD.What do you all think.?

Edited by faruke

Personally I think the AWD is awesome on the road too.

FWD will very limit what you can do on the dirt/snow covered road. I mean the tyre comes with Kluger is not the best to start with.

AWD always tow better too, IMHO

I attempted to test the traction control a couple of days ago when it was raining.

I used full throttle around a corner, the back drifted a little and then appeared to correct itself. I didn't see any warning light or here any chime and I didn't do a Bulmer.

Has anyone with an AWD seen or heard the warnings?

Too bad you are in Perth, I can show you what traction control does.

Haha, I am going for a drift practice this Saturday. However I was told not to bring my Kluger <_<

BTW sometimes minor correction does not show the logo or chime.

One time I went into a corner very fast and the EBD came on (to reduce understeer), the traction control light did not show.

So is it worth the $4500 and go for the AWD?I was told if you not really using the car for off road its not worth spending the extra $4500 for AWD.I've ordered a FWD grande(arriving July) , thinking of changing to AWD.What do you all think.?

AWD OR NO WD for me both my cars are!

I reckon go for AWD...if you dont want wheel spins,,,