Oil Filter

Soloman

At the front driver side of engine, you will need a special tool to remove the oil filter,as the Aurion has a cartridge and not a oil filter like most cars.

The item is a tool with you attached to the bottom of the exterior of the filter body to gain access to the cartrdge which is housed inside.

Part number for this tool is: 09228-06501

You will need 6.10 litres oil if the oil filter cartridge replaced.

post-3160-1207655786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aurion ZR6
  • Like 1

Thanks, Toyota also has fully synthetic oil, 5w-40. Is this a good oil to use?, as i also have a Toyota Aurion.

Also when you buy the genuine oil filter you will find all the instructions in the box.

Edited by jacko16

If you want the synthetic oil go for it, not that I wanted to go to synthetic oil, as the 10-30W is just as good or they would not be selling it, it is up to you hip pocket at what you want to spend.

YES the instruction are on side of the box of the oil cartridge.

Anyone know where it is on the Aurion.. Need to do a oil change and need a new oil filter.

Greeting All,

Just wondering how many Aurion owners are doing their own oil changes?

Do you need ramps?

Do you need to be double jointed plus have the ability to dislocate your shoulder, wrist etc or have they designed it so that it can be relatively easily done at home in the shed.

Regards

Quark

Anyone know where it is on the Aurion.. Need to do a oil change and need a new oil filter.

Greeting All,

Just wondering how many Aurion owners are doing their own oil changes?

Do you need ramps?

Do you need to be double jointed plus have the ability to dislocate your shoulder, wrist etc or have they designed it so that it can be relatively easily done at home in the shed.

Regards

Quark

Greetings All,

Have just been looking through the manuals, so kindly made available by Aurion ZR6 and checked out the design of the oil filter.

Having spent 34 yrs in the mining industry performing maintenance on various types of mechanical equipment, obviously designed with no consideration for whoever had to do the maintenance, it is quite refreshing to find a filter system such as this.

It is designes so that the filter can be changed without any oil spill at all. Well done Toyota.

Highly recommend downloading the manuals.

Quark

• 2 years later...

Hi - I'm a complete newbie to the Aurion, just bought one.

Where can I buy the tool to open the oil filter access - and where can I find the manuals that are mentioned in posts above this?

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Where can I buy the tool to open the oil filter access - and where can I find the manuals that are mentioned in posts above this?

Avalon Oil Change (PDF)

I would advise ordering a '65mm/67mm cap style oil filter wrench' though because the Aurion uses a cartridge style oil filter.

You can remove the cap without the special tool, but I'm not going to advise how to do that here because it's just something you shouldn't really do. Plus I don't want to be held accountable if you break something.

A mob named 'T&E Tools' makes such oil filter wrenches. You can order them from most auto stores like Repco and the likes.

• Like 1

if all cars adopted this method, har har oil filters will be cheaper, or, have a dramatic increase in quality for the filter media but charging the same price as manufacturing a whole complete oil filter.

thanks

Mate if you dont want to purchase the filter housing removal tool all you do is have your drain pan under the filter location to catch the excess oil and grasp the filter housing and turn it anti-clockwise as it only threaded on, and unscrew it a couple of turns in which oil will start to dribble out,leave it for a few minutes until it stops and then very carefully keep the filter housing level while you fully unscrew it and lower it down and drain it in your oil tray, every thing else you need to know and do is in your new filter box including new O rings. Once you,ve done it you will wonder what all the fuss is about. By the way when you reinstall the filter housing with the new element in it,unlike a spin on filter you dont tighten it an extra 3/4 of a turn after it contacts the base,just nip it up.Once again the torque setting is on the box (instuctions ).Haggle with Toyota as the price can be as much as $10 different between dealers for the filter.By the way it holds 6.1 litres with filter change

Edited by CONROD

thanks

Mate if you dont want to purchase the filter housing removal tool all you do is have your drain pan under the filter location to catch the excess oil and grasp the filter housing and turn it anti-clockwise as it only threaded on, and unscrew it a couple of turns in which oil will start to dribble out,leave it for a few minutes until it stops and then very carefully keep the filter housing level while you fully unscrew it and lower it down and drain it in your oil tray, every thing else you need to know and do is in your new filter box including new O rings. Once you,ve done it you will wonder what all the fuss is about. By the way when you reinstall the filter housing with the new element in it,unlike a spin on filter you dont tighten it an extra 3/4 of a turn after it contacts the base,just nip it up.Once again the torque setting is on the box (instuctions ).Haggle with Toyota as the price can be as much as $10 different between dealers for the filter.By the way it holds 6.1 litres with filter change

Oh okay, thats much better to know I don't need to by the little tool.

Depending who last serviced your car, if you don't have the oil filter wrench, removing it can be difficult. Some people still use the rule of thumb of tightening it to a Hulk grip.

I don't actually have the cap-style oil filter wrench, but I still use a (unnamed tool) to remove mine due to how tight mechanics tend to do them up.

Depending who last serviced your car, if you don't have the oil filter wrench, removing it can be difficult. Some people still use the rule of thumb of tightening it to a Hulk grip.

I don't actually have the cap-style oil filter wrench, but I still use a (unnamed tool) to remove mine due to how tight mechanics tend to do them up.

Unnamed tool? Is it s secret or there's really no name for it? :blink:

They better not have done the hulks grip unless they want to buy me new parts for chewing threads.

I'm not going to mention is because my method isn't something I would recommend to anyone.

They better not have done the hulks grip unless they want to buy me new parts for chewing threads.

It won't 'chew' the threads. There is only so tight that it can go and the threads are pretty beefy (as can be seen in the attached image), but even thought it can only be tightened so much, it can still be that tight that you may not be able to remove it without leverage.

dsc05577x.th.jpg

I'm not going to mention is because my method isn't something I would recommend to anyone.

It won't 'chew' the threads. There is only so tight that it can go and the threads are pretty beefy (as can be seen in the attached image), but even thought it can only be tightened so much, it can still be that tight that you may not be able to remove it without leverage.

dsc05577x.th.jpg

Ahh yeah, I see. Fair enough mate, thanks :D

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but with the oil filter:

- Where can I purchase one?

- Does it come with the hose adaptor and new sealing O-rings?

- You can get the oil filters are any Toyota dealer

- The hose adaptor and o-ring come with the filter. Some dealers are low life and may charge you for the o-ring.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but with the oil filter:

- Where can I purchase one?

- Does it come with the hose adaptor and new sealing O-rings?

- You can get the oil filters are any Toyota dealer

- The hose adaptor and o-ring come with the filter. Some dealers are low life and may charge you for the o-ring.

How much am I looking at paying per filter?

Just to correct, the o-rings and drain hose adaptor are included with the filter, the sump plug gasket is extra.

Well I wouldn't call them that because of such. The sump plug gasket is an extra component and it isn't exactly free. Mind you they do charge more than what it would be worth (what's a buck or two anyways), but it's not something that is meant to be free.

How much am I looking at paying per filter?

About $18-25, sump plug gasket included.