Speedo Error Margin

fish475

My Nov07 Kluger is the first time I've had a Toyota.

The speedo needs to be showing 118lm(No less) to being doing 110km

and 67 whilst actually doing 60km.

None of my previous new commodores every two yrs had such an error margin to deal with.

The dealer says thats within toyota's tolerance and the new au design rules require speedos to be "X" amount of speedo reading in overage.

At service time for every customer who complains about the high overage. They lodge a complaint notification to Toyota in hope a fix my become of it one day.

I would be happy with a 3 to 4 k overage at 110, but nudging towards 8 km is excessive and 7 k at 60Ks.

Have others here found the same??

Edited by fish475

My Nov07 Kluger is the first time I've had a Toyota.

The speedo needs to be showing 118lm(No less) to being doing 110km

and 67 whilst actually doing 60km.

None of my previous new commodores every two yrs had such an error margin to deal with.

The dealer says thats within toyota's tolerance and the new au design rules require speedos to be "X" amount of speedo reading in overage.

At service time for every customer who complains about the high overage. They lodge a complaint notification to Toyota in hope a fix my become of it one day.

I would be happy with a 3 to 4 k overage at 110, but nudging towards 8 km is excessive and 7 k at 60Ks.

Have others here found the same??

Never checked at low k's but at 110km/h I'm only doing 104km/h.

104/5 when 110 is on speedo.

60 when 64 is on speedo.

Testd with GPS. :angry:

Alex, it was only a matter of time before I registered here I guess.

It's an annoying error margin, hope enough provide feedback to toyota during services. To enable an acceptable 3 to 4 k margin fix down the track.

Garry

I noticed that long time ago, but I don't find this annoying.

Victorian has been forced to be speed obsessive. The more the margin the better. On highway, since we know the gap, we just set it at 110kmh on the dash and real 104kmh will not attract any Victorian cops.

The odometer is very true though. And that is what I really care. :lol:

Recalibrate the speedo is a very big effort I though :huh:. Because I was going to change the gear ratio of my track car, but the cost of recalibration is high. So waiting the 8 becoming a track car (no need to register)... :lol:

104/5 when 110 is on speedo.

60 when 64 is on speedo.

Testd with GPS. :angry:

Alex, it was only a matter of time before I registered here I guess.

It's an annoying error margin, hope enough provide feedback to toyota during services. To enable an acceptable 3 to 4 k margin fix down the track.

Garry

Similar problem here and same response from the dealer. I have two GPS's one of which I use for professional navigation against which I tested the speedo. Dealer dismissed GPS as not being accurate because .... there is too long delay between the GPS and satelite .... honest

Similar problem here and same response from the dealer. I have two GPS's one of which I use for professional navigation against which I tested the speedo. Dealer dismissed GPS as not being accurate because .... there is too long delay between the GPS and satelite .... honest

WTF???

I don't understand their logic... please explain :blink:

Edited some of the post

Victorian has been forced to be speed obsessive. The more the margin the better. On highway, since we know the gap, we just set it at 110kmh on the dash and real 104kmh will not attract any Victorian cops.

I must admitted 2 weeks after delivery in a 60k dual lane zone I went past the speed camera and looked at my speedo. To see it at 65ish and thought the dreaded outcome of doing such.

Until I learn't later on of the displayed overage margins.

Cheers Garry

WTF???

I don't understand their logic... please explain :blink:

I must admitted 2 weeks after delivery in a 60k dual lane zone I went past the speed camera and looked at my speedo. To see it at 65ish and thought the dreaded outcome of doing such.

Until I learn't later on of the displayed overage margins.

Cheers Garry

So were you happy or angry that it was out then?

I prefer to know exactly where I'm / how fast am I going. As for the "too long delay between the GPS and satelite" - perhaps the dealer refers to the frequency GPS updates position/speed from satellites... which is rubbish: when testing I keep my speed steady for a minute or 2 - more than enough for any GPS to update. Needless to say resluts are the same.

When I test drived one of the Kluger's closest competitors (newer model I mean :D) - noticed even bigger margin.

If second guessing what your correct speed is, is meant to be safer, I'm a little lost in the logic.

If they did it to something like the seatbelt light for example, it came on even if your seatbelt is on, just so you checked everbody would be very ******.

My speedo shows about 67, while gps shows 60.

Does the toyota fitted gps show the speed, and if so is it different?

anybody living or driving in Victoria would be better off not having an accurate speedo. the speed cameras will go off if you are travelling at more than 3km over the limit even though ADR's allow a 10% tolerance in speedos.

It’s not so bad for us who know our speedo is out and we can compensate for that. Not that I’m saying it’s ok to be this far out.

But how about the people who don’t know their speedo is out and keep having people tailgating them because they believe they are doing the right speed but really the guy behind is doing the right speed.

When I took the Kluger to Sydney I had heaps of cars / trucks up my **** and I was thinking what ****holes. Then I worked out the speedo was out and when I compensated I had no more problems.

My friend just purchased a Outback and his speedo at 110kms is really 99kms. Now that would ***** me off.

yeah we always suspected this from day one but could never be bothered to check it. You cant even do a quick calculation because the odometer isnt fine enough it only shows km's and wont go down to hundreds/meters.

Thats why when you do 110kmh on a freeway just about everyone overtakes you.

I don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry these days? A lot of people seem to buy nice cars so they can get out of them as soon as possible... :wacko:

I sit with the speedo showing just over the limit. If people want to overtake me, so be it.

Look on the bright side...At least we can fit larger, better, cheeper tyres (255/55R19 ) and for a change our speedos will become more accurate !!! :) :)

( 9 days untill pickup :D :D )

Well, I now know I'm not alone with this speedo thing.

Together with the small spacings to determine your presumed speed on the dial. It ain't easy to judge the speed like my last Commodore with the Lge digital display in your face.

Please give Toyota your feedback at your next service re this. Maybe at our 20,000 services, they will a software upgrade to reduce there error margin to 3 to 4 ks above actual, which would be fine.