roof rail

sunshine state

Hi, Im making investigations now. Im 90% sure the roof rails will bolt straight on. If you look on the roof of the KXR, you see the black channel strips, with 4 tabs that can be lifted up. These four tabs have a bolted bracket underneath. The tabs are in the exact position of where the roof rails go in other models.

Added to that, check out the base model Highlander on the New Zealand Toyota website, its a KXR with roof rails. (note the 17" rims, abscence of fog lights etc) http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models.../Auto/Overview/

I have two leads on where to buy the rails currently; Toyota of Dallas are renowned for being price competitive with Toyota auto parts. The rails are $281 USD each. The catch currently is that shipping to Australia is $400 :huh:

Another option is an OEM rail. This ebay seller is already doing roof rails for Prado's, Rav 4s and more; http://stores.ebay.com.au/newGENERATIONimports

Ive spoken to the guy and he tells that 08 Kluger roof rails should be coming in around 5 weeks from now. Perhaps you can contact him too and register your interest. It might motivate him to get them in sooner. :)

I have the Toyota workshop manuals on how to install and remove the rails, PM me if you like a copy of them.

Cheers,

Scott.

Hi, Im making investigations now. Im 90% sure the roof rails will bolt straight on. If you look on the roof of the KXR, you see the black channel strips, with 4 tabs that can be lifted up. These four tabs have a bolted bracket underneath. The tabs are in the exact position of where the roof rails go in other models.

Added to that, check out the base model Highlander on the New Zealand Toyota website, its a KXR with roof rails. (note the 17" rims, abscence of fog lights etc) http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models.../Auto/Overview/

I have two leads on where to buy the rails currently; Toyota of Dallas are renowned for being price competitive with Toyota auto parts. The rails are $281 USD each. The catch currently is that shipping to Australia is $400 :huh:

Another option is an OEM rail. This ebay seller is already doing roof rails for Prado's, Rav 4s and more; http://stores.ebay.com.au/newGENERATIONimports

Ive spoken to the guy and he tells that 08 Kluger roof rails should be coming in around 5 weeks from now. Perhaps you can contact him too and register your interest. It might motivate him to get them in sooner. :)

I have the Toyota workshop manuals on how to install and remove the rails, PM me if you like a copy of them.

Cheers,

Scott.

Thanks Scott, will talk to ebay seller as well.

• 4 months later...

Hi guy's. First post as I've got a Graphite KXR Kluger on order.

Just wondering if you ended up fitting the rails Scott? Or anyone else?

I can't believe world wide we are the only Country that has a model without rails!

Thanks

Wow Fantastic Info Scott, Thanks.

Please let us know how you go with the installation.

I am interested to get one as well if it can be done. :)

Regards,

Johanes.

Email: johaneso@gmail.com

Cheers,

Scott.

My opinion is that roof rails are the most useless accessory fitted to any car.

I'd rather have cross bars fitted as an accessory - straight onto the rail mounting holes.

Still Trying to find silver cross bars to match my kluger silver rails.

I like them more for the look they give the vehicle. I think they just finish off the car - especially the silver colour on dark cars. Kind of like adding a tie to finish off a suit.

I don't think I'd even use them for carrying things.

I'd rather have cross bars fitted as an accessory - straight onto the rail mounting holes.

I was wondering if they actually served a purpose. They seem to be cosmetic and just part of signalling that you've bought a more expensive model. On the rav4 they sell in the UK, the base model has roof rails and the others do not, so it is the reverse of in australia.

• 2 months later...

Paul did you have any luck finding silver cross-bars?

Cheers

Paul did you have any luck finding silver cross-bars?

Cheers

No luck with silver cross bars. I had a response from Rola customer service saying they used to do the sports bar in silver but it wasn't very popular and they will not be doing it again.

Only option is to buy black and get them painted or coated to suit.

I've given up on the idea for now, can't justify $200-300 for a couple of bits of molded aluminium :ph34r: