Fog Light install

Scott_C

Hi all, here's some progress pics of the fog lights Im installing on my KXR;

Im half way through the install, I can confirm the Camry Fog Lights fit.

Before with old bezel:

DSC00575.jpg

The replacement fog light bezel (colour coded) and the 07 Camry Fog light:

DSC00584.jpg

End result:

DSC00585.jpg

I still have to do the other side and put this switch assembly in. Note how this switch assemble has the dial for the fog lights:

DSC00588.jpg

Unfortunately, its a "steering wheel off" job.

But so far, its been dead easy, the light fits perfectly, the factory wiring is already there. the fog light fuse is even in the box too.

Just for some background; the lights are Camry 2007 Fog lights. They fit the Kluger perfectly, holes line up etc. I bought them off an Ebay seller. As mentioned, the wiring for the fogs is already in the vehicle, I just had to break a bit of tape where the wiring was bound up. Connector (H11) plugged straight into the back of the fog.

The fog light bezels can be bought from a Toyota dealer for around $65. The switch assembly (or plain old indicator stick as I call it) is around $215

Scott

well done well done

some questions:

did it involve removing the front bumper bar to fit the bezels + lights?

do we need qualified mechanic to replace the stalk as the steering wheel needs to be removed?

did u get the new stalk from toyota or ebay?

thank u

Hi Boleh.

did it involve removing the front bumper bar to fit the bezels + lights?

No. PG 355 (I think) of our manual describes how to change a globe for the fog lights. Basically, there is a fender liner to remove underneath the bumper on each side. Once you have that off, you can pop out the old bezels, plus install new lights. The wiring for the fog is sitting there taped up. You just need to snip the tape away and plug the wire straight into the back of the light. (its a standard H11 connector) http://www.hoen-usa.com/hardware2/h11.jpg

do we need qualified mechanic to replace the stalk as the steering wheel needs to be removed?

Honestly thats up to you. You do need to disconnect the negative on your battery and wait 90 seconds before commencing the steering wheel removal. This is to prevent air bag deployment. The wheel itself comes off easily, but you do need a torx socket wrench to take off two bolts on the steering wheel. I have the Toyota technical workshop doc on it if you need it.

did u get the new stalk from toyota or ebay?

The stalk (known as a switch assembly) I bought from toyota as well as the fog light bezels. The Camry fogs I got off an ebay seller in Hong kong.

thank u

You're welcome! Any other questions just ask.

Hi there Scott well done with the install.

Just wondering would you be able to post the break up of the cost involved for each of the parts.

thanks in advance

jer

Edited by jaj

Just wondering would you be able to post the break up of the cost involved for each of the parts.

thanks in advance

jer

Hi Jer, sure, here it is;

- Toyota fog light bezels; $65 each ($130 the pair) (perhaps ring a few dealers, the prices vary)

- 2007 OEM Camry Fog Lights; $87.99 inc shipping - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Breakparts (there are other sellers, the fogs for the 4 door Yaris will also fit)

- Toyota Switch Assembly (indicator stick that includes the fog light dial) - $216 (same again, ring around as prices vary)

The camry fogs come with all the needed wiring, switches, relays etc, if you wanted to run it through yourself. I chose to use the factory wiring thats already in the vehicle.

Scott

well done great information, I have ordered the lights, would it be possible to use the original bezel wholesaw the centre and and have them spraypainted? I appreciate the trouble you have gone to with the steering wheel new switch, but do you run a risk with warranty? I will run with an Aux switch replacing the blank.

Scott

well done great information, I have ordered the lights, would it be possible to use the original bezel wholesaw the centre and and have them spraypainted? I appreciate the trouble you have gone to with the steering wheel new switch, but do you run a risk with warranty? I will run with an Aux switch replacing the blank.

Hi Don, honestly, I think the black bezels will look terrible, even if they're painted. (and to paint them properly, you'd need to spray them) You wont regret getting the proper factory bezels; they'll be the exact colour of your bumper, and will house the fog light down to the millimeter. ($130 and they'll save you lots of time.)

I have a feeling the black bezel is a different dimension (bigger) and even if you cut an even hole, there'll be a gap when you poke the fog's through.

Im not sure about the issue with warranty.

If you plan to use the switch (button) that comes with the fogs, keep in mind that you might need an auto-electrician to patch it into the cars wiring. He'll have to take off the steering wheel to gain access to the lights wiring.

By the time he's done that, it might be worth getting the factory switch assembly.

Perhaps try and cost out both - the cost of the auto-elec having to remove the steering wheel to patch in a new wire - vs him removing the wheel and simply installing the new switch assembly. (assuming you dont want to remove the wheel yourself) The switch assembly is just over $200 - with the extra time he needs to run wires and hook into the car (he might even need to remove the dash??) The switch assembly might pay for itself.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-Scott.

Thanks once again Scott,

I would have thought it would be possible to patch into the wiring outside of the steering? given that you only need two contacts one from the switch to put them in service and one from the high beam on circuit.

Question: if no switch was installed and the fogs connected would they come on automatically with high beam? ie all the time.

Do you have a Kluger wiring/circuit diagram?

Cheers keep up the good work for us KXR owners.

Hi Don, its possible access could be gained to the wiring by removing the steering column covers. (and not taking off the wheel)

I do have a wiring diagram, send me a private message with your email address, and ill send it to you.

The fog circuit doesnt work in conjunction with high beam. It works independantly, but wont come on at all unless you at least have your parking lights on.

So, once your parkers are on, you can switch the fogs on and off. If you turn off your lights entirely, it will also kill the fogs.

Cheers,

Scott.

Thanks Scott

you are right I was thinking driving lights not Fog lights, my old R16TS had driving lights with aux switch in the high beam circuit, obviously you wouldnt have this for fog.

I do not believe it will be difficult to do this wiring outside the steering wheel and should be accessable under the bonnet or in vicinity of the relays, I will investigate after I see the wiring diagram.

Cheers

Don

thanks in advance

jer

Hi Jer, sure, here it is;

- Toyota fog light bezels; $65 each ($130 the pair) (perhaps ring a few dealers, the prices vary)

- 2007 OEM Camry Fog Lights; $87.99 inc shipping - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Breakparts (there are other sellers, the fogs for the 4 door Yaris will also fit)

- Toyota Switch Assembly (indicator stick that includes the fog light dial) - $216 (same again, ring around as prices vary)

The camry fogs come with all the needed wiring, switches, relays etc, if you wanted to run it through yourself. I chose to use the factory wiring thats already in the vehicle.

Thanks for all the info scott...you're a champ

Talking about H11 light bulbs... what do you have in yours Scott?

Hi Taka, since the lights are a cheap OEM from Hong Kong, I really dont know. :)

First off, Im going to upgrade my headlight bulbs (like yours) ;)

and then Ill look at upgrading the fogs too. Im not as concerned about the fogs as i dont drive with them on all the time.

Fog Lights arrived from Hong Kong today, great value, still waiting on the bezels from Toyota maybe 2wks.

i'm doing the same thing Don...but still waiting on the fog lights. the bezels are arriving in 3weeks....

A big thanks to Scott for the wiring diagrams......

Im still trying to figure out how to read the diagrams.....not that good with electrical symbols.... :o

I should be able to help you with the wiring details, have you decided how you are going to switch the lights, same as Scott with new stalk or with aux switch replacing the blank in the dash?

I havent got it all detailed yet but after I have decided and commenced the installation I will pass on my findings, maybe a week or two

I should add that the switch assembly I was sold was for the Grande @ $216 - it has the extra switch position for the light sensor.

Im not sure what the KXS switch assembly is worth, but it should be cheaper. It would have the fog light dial on it.

P.S. Don and Jer - I want to see photos! We should start a 'KXR with Fog lights club' B)

I should be able to help you with the wiring details, have you decided how you are going to switch the lights, same as Scott with new stalk or with aux switch replacing the blank in the dash?

I havent got it all detailed yet but after I have decided and commenced the installation I will pass on my findings, maybe a week or two

Thanks Don I'll probably do it without the stalk and go with the Aux switch. BTW how long did it take for your fog lights to arrived?

I should add that the switch assembly I was sold was for the Grande @ $216 - it has the extra switch position for the light sensor.

Im not sure what the KXS switch assembly is worth, but it should be cheaper. It would have the fog light dial on it.

P.S. Don and Jer - I want to see photos! We should start a 'KXR with Fog lights club' B)

KXR fog lights club - sounds good...lol

Anywayz i'll post some pics once i get everything done....still waiting for my foglights and bezels....cant wait...

Fog lights from HK ordered on Ebay (scotts advice) payed with Bpay took just over a week delivered, bezels ordered same time,still waiting, I will ring the dealer today.

I will be wiring using the Aux switch, I am confident I can find an ideal spot to patch in the wiring, but I havent looked closely at it yet, maybe this weekend and I will supply info and photos once I am happy with the final setup.

Cheers

Fog Light Club? sounds good, Sage Green? nice but only second choice to Silver grey hey, just joking Scott.

Lol, no worries Don.

Did you get mounting screws with your fog lights?

I ended up getting self taping screws from Bunnings to mount them. (let me know if you need the exact size.)

Also, Id recommend put a thick rubber washer on the bottom screw mount to angle the fogs down a little.

Ive noticed with mine, that they point fairly high and outward to the side of the vehicle. When i have some free time, I plan to put a washer in to angle the fogs down on the road.