Pics of my Kluger steering wheel removal

Scott_C

Not sure if it's been stated but for anyone else doing this, after removing your airbag horn pad, place it in the passenger footwell with the front facing upwards... That way incase it triggers it'll blow the bag outwards instead of forcing the whole assy to be sent upwards at an incredible force...

In regards to the steering wheel removal, undo the centre nut a few turns and wriggle the steering wheel till it comes loose, then remove the nut and steering wheel... Doing this will save you a trip to the dentist...

Finally, make sure your wheels are straight before removing the spiral cable and make sure it doesn't turn when removed and is refitted in exactly the same position as when removed... Fail to do this will result in a snapped cable and a $500 bill from Toyota...

• 3 weeks later...
In regards to the steering wheel removal, undo the centre nut a few turns and wriggle the steering wheel till it comes loose, then remove the nut and steering wheel... Doing this will save you a trip to the dentist...

Late reply... but good advice.

I was a little luckier. Just hit the back of my head hard on the headrest. Then the second time around, learnt that grabbing it at 9 and 3 o'clock and wriggling it was more effective.

is it just me or he pics from ur steering wheel removal gone missing in action :huh:

Yeah. Not working here as well. Either the site hosting it is temporarily down, or the hosting for the photos have expired.

Well im pleased to say that I can now join the KX-R fog light club. Thanks to Scott for the info ad great pics. My instalation took no more than 2HRS. Might have been quicker if the pics were working on the site. The lights look great when you turn them on :)

• 4 months later...

Hi Scott,

i cant see any pics, has it been removed or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

yes i cant seem to see pics either have they been removed or am i doing something wrong

cheers

Edited by scotts10kluger

• 9 months later...

Any chance of getting the pictures restored? Does anybody know if the three spoke Toyota steering wheel from an Aurion Sportivo will bolt and plug straight in?

Cheers

Rod

• 1 year later...

Pictures would be handy right now actually.

Need to remove my wheel and have no idea where to start without the pics.....

Dammit! :help:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the steering wheels amongst nearly all Toyota and Lexus post 2001 use the same type II airbag and connector. The Phone, Audio and Trip Computer functions are varied throughout however. Among similar classes (i.e. Camry/Aurion/Kluger/GS450 or Corolla/IS250/CT200) the cabing and conectors are often the same.

I have fitted a 2010 RX350 steering wheel to a 1992 Soarer! Of course, the airbag is pointless as the Soarer was not fitted with Airbags at the time. However it looks pretty trick. You cannot however use the Type II Airbag steering wheels (Post 2001) on earlier toyotas and expect them to work in the event of a collision.

Something else to remember, very importantly, is that the airbags shape, position, and deployment veolcity is tailored to a particular vehicle. Taking an airbag from one chassis, to another is something to research carefully.

I went to a wrecking yard and compared a deployed RX350 airbag shape to a deployed GSU40 kluger, and it is the same shape.

I purchased the RX350 wheel from Yahoo Japan for $450 landed. Swap badges and your set.

Nice upgrade for the Grande, but will make the fake wood trim look even worse!

ggh0228-img600x450-1339492675xepxre58407.jpg

Its pretty self explanatory without the pictures.

1. I think the original poster forgot to say "DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE AIRBAG AS INJURY DEATH OR OTHERS AMUSEMENT MAY OCCUR"

2. The first of the plastic clips that need prying out with a screw driver are located behind the Cruise Control lever.

Will Look similar to this :

DSC03771-1.jpg

The other one is on the opposite side. Its shaped like a kidney/semi cirlce, and is flush with the steering wheel housing that mounts to the column. Be gentle, use the sticky tape over the flat blade screwdriver as described in the first post, or use a proper trim removal tool.

Once yo'uve removed this, it will expose the Torx fastener, as seen above sitting in its black plastic retainer that stops it from being removed.

Undo this fastner, do the same on the other side, and youll be able to remove the airbag pad enough to access the yellow clip and disconnect it completely. You can then put it in a safe place away from yourself and anyone else!

From there, its all as described, everything will make sense.

How powerful is an SRS Airbag deployment?

Edited by am3037
  • Like 1

Thats ***** funny, thats the funniest thing I have seen for a while, I know its probadly not the smartest thing to do,It makes you realize how much force and speed, that those airbags are capable of, but that clip made me nearly ***** my pants laughing.

I have a 2010 Kluger that I have replaced the standard stereo with a toyota bluetooth type. I'd like to fit a on-off hook switch in place of the blank on the steering wheel but can't figure out how to access it. Do I need to remove the steering wheel as described above or can the small switch panel be removed separately. Any advice appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Did this mod [adding fog lights] recently

Got the lights from Mars Lights, & managed to pick up combination switch from a wreckers, so all up, about $200

All the wiring & relays are already there, so very easy

Thanks to all for their posts !

A great help

Edited by royboy