Trailer Wiring etc - Dealer Fitted or after market?

brigalowO

Hello people, I need some kindly advice please?

We ordered a new GXL TD Cruiser today, and apart from, essentially being forced into paying extra $350 for front window tinting, I passed up on the Toyota dealer fitted extras as I think they are just gouging. I might have to reconsider this after your advices.

Thing is, we have to have it wired for electric brakes, (plus 12 volt power outlet for Waeco Fridge in rear luggage area) Quoted cost for just the trailer harness only, is $550. They tell me that it is a special harness to mate into their wiring system.

We also rejected the factory bull bar at $2490, (no winch, but very attractive) as we would prefer an after market colour coded or alloy winch bar if it is available.

Main question is, has anyone compared prices on dealer fitted options, (with full waranties) as opposed to after market accessories? The cost factor is significant, but is it practical?

Thanks in advance

BrigalowO

We ordered a new GXL TD Cruiser today, and apart from, essentially being forced into paying extra $350 for front window tinting, I passed up on the Toyota dealer fitted extras as I think they are just gouging. I might have to reconsider this after your advices.

Thing is, we have to have it wired for electric brakes, (plus 12 volt power outlet for Waeco Fridge in rear luggage area) Quoted cost for just the trailer harness only, is $550. They tell me that it is a special harness to mate into their wiring system.

We also rejected the factory bull bar at $2490, (no winch, but very attractive) as we would prefer an after market colour coded or alloy winch bar if it is available.

Main question is, has anyone compared prices on dealer fitted options, (with full waranties) as opposed to after market accessories? The cost factor is significant, but is it practical?

Thanks in advance

BrigalowO

These prices seem high to me. I had my wiring done through the dealer four weeks ago when I got mine but in fact some of the work was done by a local auto electrician.

Prices:

Rear power outlet $150

5o Amp Anderson outlet $250

Trailer pack $450

I was also quoted around $2000 for the factory alloy bull bar, but didn't get it and $250 for side and rear window tinting.

Steve

Edited by stephano

Hi Steve,

Yes the prices are very high and that is the reason I am asking the questions. Given the euphoria of a new vehicle purchase it is easy to succumb to the moment and just spend up. We do not want to be miserable with extras, but we have to get value for our retirement money.

I joined this forum so that you good people could advise me of our best options, so what experiences have you all had regarding dealer fitted options as opposed to after market,..........and which direction is the most practical, in terms of cost vs practicality. Should I shop around other dealers before we collect the car or do I push the selling dealer to come to the party? or do I simply collect the car and arrange for suitable after market suppliers to do the work and guarantee it?

Does the 200 series have a problem with after market fitments or are some comments that I am getting elswhere just urban myths?

Thanks again

BrigalowO

Hi Steve,

Yes the prices are very high and that is the reason I am asking the questions. Given the euphoria of a new vehicle purchase it is easy to succumb to the moment and just spend up. We do not want to be miserable with extras, but we have to get value for our retirement money.

I joined this forum so that you good people could advise me of our best options, so what experiences have you all had regarding dealer fitted options as opposed to after market,..........and which direction is the most practical, in terms of cost vs practicality. Should I shop around other dealers before we collect the car or do I push the selling dealer to come to the party? or do I simply collect the car and arrange for suitable after market suppliers to do the work and guarantee it?

Does the 200 series have a problem with after market fitments or are some comments that I am getting elswhere just urban myths?

Thanks again

BrigalowO

Thanks for that Brigalow

I'm a bit cautious. I got the dealer to arrange the wiring because I needed it for towing but I'm waiting until the aftermarket people get their act together before buying any other extras. I must admit that the large size of the front and rear 'bumpers' and the fact that they have so much important gear behind them has me thinking twice about a bullbar for the moment.

If I was in your place and spending so much, I'd be shopping around for the best driveaway price after trade in, including the extras you need. Play one off against the other if you can. I did and saved a fair bit.

Best of luck

Steve

Thanks in advance

BrigalowO

Hi Brigalow

First of all remember any accesories put on at delivery will attract an extra 25% because it will be included in the luxury car tax component. Better to put on any accessories after delivery to avoid this extra amount in tax.

Why were you forced into paying $350 for front window tinting ?

I paid $315 to have the wiring harness fitted by a Toyota dealer ( harness / control box is $163 by itself ). Make sure you use the genuine harness as it comes with it's own control box so as not to upset the computer which apparently is very sensitive to electrical disturbances. They have to remove the seats in the rear to install it so if you don't want to use the seats in the back it is a good chance to have them removed as they are actually bolted to the floor and don't come out easily as in the 100 series.

I paid the following for Genuine Toyota accessories .

Chrome bull bar $1950 fitted by dealer

Bonnet protector $82 fitted myself

Headlight protectors $71 fitted myself

I would get an auto electrician to install your electric brakes , power outlet in rear for Waeco etc. , power for van fridge and van battery if required.

Hope the above info is of some use to you .

Regards Tony