18 Inch Wheels on a Sportivo?

GGG

Howdy All

Got a bit of Xmas cash and need to offload it quick before the missus buys herself something 'nice', hence I'm looking at rims again, and I am still unsure of what size. If you have 18's or have tried 18's on a stivo, could you please post:

a) What size wheel? e.g. 18 x 7, 18 x 7.5 etc

B) Tyre dimensions? e.g. 215 x 40

c) How much was you car lowered? e.g none, 4 cm's etc

d) Did you roll your guards?

e) Any rubbing/ride issues?

f) If you could do it again (change your wheels), would you have some differently?...be serious now... ;)

Many thanks in advance to all that respond.

Cheers,

Glen

Howdy All

Got a bit of Xmas cash and need to offload it quick before the missus buys herself something 'nice', hence I'm looking at rims again, and I am still unsure of what size. If you have 18's or have tried 18's on a stivo, could you please post:

f) If you could do it again (change your wheels), would you have some differently?...be serious now... ;)

Cheers,

Glen

i think this topic has been covered a couple of times. maybe the search might come up with some answers.

Yeah I think this topic has been covered has been covered before, but anyway  my wheels are 18X7 with 215/34. The springs have been dropped by 50mm with rolled rear guard , bcos I used to carry it with 225/40 and it scrub.

Sorry anout that, any idea of a good search string?

Cheers,

Glen

P.s. Got eaten alive from a set of lights by a new SS ute this morning...my stivo has nothing till about 70kph's..need to smuggle a CAI with a set of rims..expected to lose but I got whipped.

Howdy All

Cheers,

Glen

i think this topic has been covered a couple of times. maybe the search might come up with some answers.

Yes indeed, multiple times, use the search function at the bottom.

To my knowledge from numerous previous posts, 17" rims is the ideal for the stivo.

I have checked some past posts and they were mostly about 17's and correct tyre choice..very little mention of 18's.

Quick 'stoopid qn' coming from a tax accountant: "18 x 7 would be preferable to 18 x 7.5, does it actually make any difference if 215 x 40 x 18 tryes are on both rims?, more potential for rubbing with the 18 x 7.5?"

Cheers

Happy New Year All! :rolleyes:

probably impossible to find the same wheel in 18 x 7 and also 18 x 7.5 as importers would only bring one size.

if you find two different 18" wheels in the same width size they may not have the same offset therefore hard to tell you if it would rub or not.

but if you did find the same wheel in 18 x 7 and also 18 x 7.5 the tyre size you stated on the wider wheel would very slighty pulled over from the wheel face to face.

The stock wheel/tyre combo (195/55 R16) has a diameter of 24.44" or 620.90mm.

The closest matches to this (with less than 1.1mm difference in overall diameter) are:

215/50 R16 (24.46" or 621.40mm)

210/45 R17 (24.44" or 620.80mm)

235/40 R17 (24.40" or 619.80mm)

205/40 R18 (24.46" or 621.20mm)

For reference sake, the biggest difference lies between the stock tyres and the 235/40 R17's. With the speedometer calibrated for 195/55 R16's, replacing them with 235/40 R17's would result in the speedometer and odometer reading high by 0.18%. To give a practical example, the error would cause your speedo to read 100.2 km/h at an actual speed of 100 km/h, and your odometer would record 1001.8 km for every 1000 km actually travelled.

Keeping the stock rims and using a 205/50 R16 tyre would drop the overall diameter to 24.07" or 611.40mm. This would result in the speedometer and odometer reading high by 1.55% (i.e. 101.6 km/h at 100 or 1015.5 km after 1000).

A common "upgrade" seems to be to 215/50 R17's, which have an overall diameter of 25.46" or 646.68mm and therefore cause low readings by 4.0% (i.e. 96 km/h at 100, and 960km after 1000).

Moving to 215/40 R18's will cause low readings by 1.32% (i.e 98.7 km/h at 100 and 986.8 km after 1000).

Finally, the other size mentioned was 215/35 R18 - these will result in high readings by 2.17% (102.2 km/h at 100, 1021.7 km after 1000).

As for scrubbing, this will be determined by different wheels' offsets as mentioned by others and your guard clearance.

Different tyre widths are suited to different rim sizes, typically as follows:

195's suit wheel widths of 5.5-7 inches

205's suit wheel widths of 5.5-7.5 inches

215's suit wheel widths of 6-7.5 inches

225's suit wheel widths of 6-8 inches

235's suit wheel widths of 6.5-8.5 inches

Hope this all helps.

Edited by oz_viking

Sorry - I did actually mean to put in the figures for 215/45 and not 215/50. These are only 0.7% under on the speedo/odo and so are a pretty good match.

215/40 R17's will cause high readings by 2.83%.

The point is, in states with only a 1 or 2% tolerance on speed cameras and laser guns, any more than a 1% low reading from changing wheel & rim sizes could land you some unintended speeding fines.

I have 225/35/18. and 7,5" wide rime. but i know that 225/40/18 fits fine to. but this is on the europeen rolla.

Mikael, did you roll or modify your guards so thtey would fit? How much did you lower the front & back?

Very sweet pics..

GGG,

I have had 18x7.5 rims with 215/45 tyres with 35mm lowered Springs and yes it did scrub and bottom out occasionly. 45 profile was prob wrong - 40 yes but i wanted a bit more comfort. Mate going from 16's to 18's with low profiles you will notice a significant decrease in ride comfort..and even more with lowered springs but the handling will improve.

You can put a 17' tyre and wheel package on and it won't affect the performance at all. If your rolling diameter is the same or smaller then there is no loss by going to 17's. by the same token something with a marginal increase in rolling diameter won't noticably affect the performance as well. If you go really big eg from say a 16' to a 19' you'll notice it then. But it all depends on the profile of the tyre you choose.

hey stivo cruisers... :)

im getting my 18" rims installed tomz.. the guy said my tyres r gonna b 235/35..

would this b alrite?

he sounds pretty sure they wont rub the guard !! :lol:

i asked him for 205/40

he said hard to get those tyres? :o :blink:

I'd like to see your turning circle once they are on too!!!!! You'll also notice the steering feel to be a bit heavier, but personally I think that would be an improvement over the wishy washy steering it has standard.

In Qld as far as I'm aware you can only go 1" wider and an inch taller in diameter which makes 18's illegal. The biggest you could go is 17x 7. Don't get me wrong 18's look great but all the hassle of making them fit is a pain in the proverbial. And if the offset is wrong then that's another story...

I reckon that 235 will definitely rub cos they are too wide for our cars. So you're getting 18x8 wheels? 205/40/18s are pretty rare but 235 I reckon is too wide.

I've got it installed... 215/35/18

will post pix soon

runs smooth

I reckon that 235 will definitely rub cos they are too wide for our cars. So you're getting 18x8 wheels? 205/40/18s are pretty rare but 235 I reckon is too wide.

I've got it installed... 215/35/18

will post pix soon

runs smooth

Please post, would love to see the rims. How much bumpier is the ride? You left the guards unmodified?

Please post, would love to see the rims. How much bumpier is the ride? You left the guards unmodified?

this is the only picture i got at the moment.. the photos of my car are on my frenz digital camra.. so gotta wait for him to send it to me.. the ride is still normal.. yep guards r still normal ... better handling and take off now :lol: