Remove doortrims ae101/102

linzz82

Hi all,

I want to remove my front door trim (with power windows) as i have a slight buzz sougta noise coming from around the speaker area and i wana have a look to see whats doing it. Also i want to remove my rear doortrim also to replace the chrome strip along the top.

Does any one know step by step what i have to do/disconnect etc?

You're lucky having power windows, makes the job a lot easier and less frustrating.

Anyway, here goes:

1) Prise up the power window switch base with a thin flat-blade screwdriver (cover it with cloth to stop scratches), disconnect the wiring plug and remove the switch.

2) Lever up the top panel of the arm-rest (once again with a flat-blade covered in cloth), remove panel

3) Undo screws holding arm-rest to door, remove arm-rest

4) Undo the screw from the interior door handle and, levering the handle open, remove the door handle surround (you may need to disconnect the control rod and remove the handle too, can't remember)

5) Insert large flat-blade (cloth-covered, of course) between door trim and door, gently lever to pop door trim clips. Repeat along both sides and bottom of door trim until all clips popped (try not to brake them)

6) Lift door panel upwards to disconnect door lock button, remove trim

Thankyou very much for that. I guess for the back door trim is the same process. But I have to take the window winder off as it has manual windows on the back.

For manual windows, you need to pop the winder off. Do this by one of the following methods

1) Get a large and small flat-blade screwdriver. Lever out the washer and window winder with the large screwdriver (do it at the base bit, not the knob which you grab), and look for the horse-shoe shaped circlip holding the winder on. Use the small flat-blade to push the circlip off, watching very carefully to see where it flies to (and it can fly quite a fair distance). I do this most of the time

2) Use a tea-towel stretched tight and kind of slide it underneath the handle to pop the clip off. Lots of people swear by this, but I've never got it to work

3) Fork out $10 or so and get the clip removal tool from Toyota, Supercrap or wherever you get your car parts from

Once the circlip is out, the winder handle just pulls off.

Everything else should be exactly the same as the front doors.