Getting 12volt line through the firewall in 2000 Vienta

Thraxeh

Hey guys, does anyone have any good locations to get a 12volt line from the battery through the firewall to an amp under the seat of my 2000 model vienta?

I'm not having any luck finding a decent location

the easiest way is to find a rubber gromet in the firewall...best way is to pop it out and see what is behind it.

suggested places to look are on the drivers side look for a gromet where the clutch cable/master cylinder would be. on the passenger side MOST toyota passenger vehicles do have spare gromets that you can pass cabling etc through.

i spent 2 1/2 years installing phone kits/two way radios/emergency beacons and lightbars/spotlights to just about ANY vehicle and most times it was nothing more than common sense and just plain looking on BOTH sides of the firewall to see what was available to use.

DO be careful of engine management cabling etc....dont do what an apprentice did a shove a stainless steel guide wire through a wiring harness and short the whole harness to earth and start an electrical fire.....you have been warned!!!!

hope this helps

cheers

ohh.....one more thing.....

you say you need power for an amp right??.......be sure to run a separate earth return lead back to the battery and use this as a common earth point inside the cabin. it stops you getting what the industry calls "feedback loop"...thats where you get electrical noise in your sound system from using too many different earth points.

DO NOT put a fuse in this earth return line only your main +12volt line to your amp etc. i've also see electrical fires start from installations where they put a fuse in the earth return line back to the battery.

cheers

Your normal wire loom that goes into the back of the Glovebox so to speak is what I seem to find is the best way. There's normally 2 screws you can undo on the engine side, pull the positive cable through what seems to be a huge-***** grommit, and drop down the back of the glovebox (need to remove a panel or so under the glovebox area).

That's where I've run my cable, lots of other Camry owners I know have done the same. I ran a 4 gauge cable and that's gone all the way down to the boot :)

Your normal wire loom that goes into the back of the Glovebox so to speak is what I seem to find is the best way. There's normally 2 screws you can undo on the engine side, pull the positive cable through what seems to be a huge-***** grommit, and drop down the back of the glovebox (need to remove a panel or so under the glovebox area).

That's where I've run my cable, lots of other Camry owners I know have done the same. I ran a 4 gauge cable and that's gone all the way down to the boot :)

Thanks, i did see this grommit, however i didnt think i could have much luck getting a 4 gauge in there. I managed to get some through there in the end.

I can get on with the install now. Thanks!

Thanks for the tips supertownace.

Patience & Persistence was the key mate! lol...

You can actually run 2 gauge down there... I just ended up unscrewing the two nuts that held the loom into the firewall and made the job a hell of a lot easier!! hahahaha

I think the most irritating part was trying to run the speaker cabling through the front doors...

I ran the RCA cables down the right side of the car (so there's no interference and all that) and that was heaps easier... straight up the side of the hinge on the driver's door, under the steering wheel, and somehow into the centre console.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've got a '94 CS-X and trying to get some wires through the firewall too. The consensus is the big square grommet on the passenger side, but does anyone have any pics they can show me? I got as far as removing the glovebox but I ran out of time today to look for the grommet from the cabin side.

Thanks in advance!

Donn

Thanks, i did see this grommit, however i didnt think i could have much luck getting a 4 gauge in there. I managed to get some through there in the end.

I can get on with the install now. Thanks!

Thanks for the tips supertownace.