Any Celicas out there?

SCO-77K

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there, new member here from Brisbane. I just bought myself a 1979 RA40 18R-C engined Celica as a project car the other week. (pic below).

Celica.JPG

I've not done much to it so far, just started to clean it up and find all the rust. I need to get in with some filler and sort that out and do a tidy up before I take it in for a roadworthy check. Being a uni student it may take a while before the project is complete but at least it will keep me occupied and out of trouble ;)

The car has Genie Extractors and a Sunroof, other than that it's a stock standard 5 spd with 565 000 original kms on the clock. My daily driver at the moment is a 5spd 1983 Mitsubishi Sigma wagon with a stock 2L 4G52 engine however the sooner I get my toyota registered the sooner I can ditch it :)

Catch you round

Cheers :)

I've already got the front and rear bars off (I need to strip the paint off the rear bar and polish up the chrome B) ), the tail lights are out and I've stripped out the whole rear half of the car to attack the rust that's accumulated. Fortunately most of it is just surface with very little imbedded rust. The arial (sp?) has been removed along with the motor as I'll be giving the car clean lines.

I also removed the pin striping today. I started with a heat gun (as you do) but the pin striping has been buggered after 25 years and I ended up just attacking it with a wire brush on the power drill. That got it ;)

I'm not too worried as I'll be respraying the car in the next few days and even though bare metal attracts rust in a big way, I've always got my converter to get at any that crops up, plus filler to smooth out the hundreds of dents (small and large) that have accumulated over the years.

The guy I bought it off didn't look after it and ended up buying a hilux and just wanted to offoad the car. Bad for the car, good for me - gives me something to work with :)

sorry about the rambling :unsure:

• 2 months later...

hey scott, can you tell me a bit about your pod. Iv heard that its a real pain to try and put pods onto our 3sge. id like to do it though.You probly didnt notice any power gains(lets be serious) but what did it do to the sound??????????

• 9 months later...

hey guys.

Blair I think I sold u the doors and guard. hows it all going mate.

scoot I have seen u on the other forum. the creator of the longest thread...lol

name is Karl. love to go on a cruise when I get my car back from DYNO tuning.

pic below. black interior, SSV body kit, GT4 front bar, high rise spoiler, 17inch wheels. groupA CS GT4 brakes. just no name a few. oh and yea 3SGTE ST165.

heaps of performance mods planned for the future, but just trying to get in the drivers seat for now.

paz here, got a 86 SX 3 days ago and so far its been a ****box (mechanically).....hopefully things will get better from here......... its fast yeh, but seems like its gonna be a lemon, hopefully it will prove me wrong...... <_<

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the boards! I'm grew up in Woomera...its a very small town in Sout Au. but now I think they are using it for one of the camps! :( I'm actually living in the states right now! But I drive a red 2000 celica, I'll get a picture soon as possible!

Mods as of right now...GT-Champion (9pc) Wide Body Kit, TRD cat-back Kazuma exhaust, Injen Racing Devision cold air intake, custom painted interior, some custom interior lighting, and a whole new sound system with some subs in the trunk.

Hope to add soon some 18x9 rims...to balance out the widebody kit...wheels look kinda sunk into the car righ now...

I wish I could come back to Au...but my wife wont let me! I may have conned her into giving me a few weeks over there tho...maybe I could meet up with some Celi drivers when im there!

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the boards! I'm grew up in Woomera...its a very small town in Sout Au. but now I think they are using it for one of the camps!  :(  I'm actually living in the states right now! But I drive a red 2000 celica, I'll get a picture soon as possible!

Mods as of right now...GT-Champion (9pc) Wide Body Kit, TRD cat-back Kazuma exhaust, Injen Racing Devision cold air intake, custom painted interior, some custom interior lighting, and a whole new sound system with some subs in the trunk.

Hope to add soon some 18x9 rims...to balance out the widebody kit...wheels look kinda sunk into the car righ now...

I wish I could come back to Au...but my wife wont let me! I may have conned her into giving me a few weeks over there tho...maybe I could meet up with some Celi drivers when im there!

Sound like a sweet ride. How loud is the trd kazuma exhaust? Post some pics.

It does not pass 095db laws...if thats what your asking...hehe.

On most racetracks here in the states you have to have your car 95 decibls or less to race on them. It screams...but I've toned mine down by adding the stock 2000-2005 resonator, which leaves it with a lower hum when it idles and a sweet 0-go sound! Worth every cent! :D

It does not pass 095db laws...if thats what your asking...hehe.

On most racetracks here in the states you have to have your car 95 decibls or less to race on them.  It screams...but I've toned mine down by adding the stock 2000-2005 resonator, which leaves it with a lower hum when it idles and a sweet 0-go sound! Worth every cent!  :D

Sweet. Did you lose any power adding the resonator on? I'm thinking the kazuma exhaust but instead of removing the cat. I'd change it to a high flow cat and maybe shorter resonator. Do you think it's worth it?

Edited by 51EKA

Hi,

from Wollongong, (DEV15H) 91' imported Celica 2.0, Custom Exhaust(Extractors,Cat.Conv,2 1/4 Inch bent). 17 Inch Chromes . Custom Airbrush(Jet Black, Devil on Bonnet, Skulls on front bumpa, Flames from bonnet 2 side doors. Factory sunroof(Slide in roof & Tilt), electronic bucket seats & side mirrors.

Hi,

from Wollongong, (DEV15H) 91' imported Celica 2.0, Custom Exhaust(Extractors,Cat.Conv,2 1/4 Inch bent). 17 Inch Chromes . Custom Airbrush(Jet Black, Devil on Bonnet, Skulls on front bumpa, Flames from bonnet 2 side doors. Factory sunroof(Slide in roof & Tilt), electronic bucket seats & side mirrors.

Welcome... I'm from Wollongong too, I'll keep a look out for you, sounds hard to miss :ph34r::ph34r: B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Blue Stivo.....see u around maybe. Small World LoL.

Yeh just got my sound system up 2 par... Pioneer Head Unit, Focal splits(tweeters) on door, pioneer 6inch rear passenger sides, pioneer 8inch rear shelf, Sony 15inch sub, 4 channel Sony Amp, powered by a new heavy duty battery... cos it cranks da juice... lol.

Sweet. Did you lose any power adding the resonator on? I'm thinking the kazuma exhaust but instead of removing the cat. I'd change it to a high flow cat and maybe shorter resonator. Do you think it's worth it?

I didnt lose any power when I put the Kazuma on...I gained. Also...dont take your cat off. I'm still running my stock cat. From what I've seen from experience, because I have had two seperate kazumas on it...one witht the stock resinator, and one without, I kept the one with the resinator...sounds a hell of a lot better.

Here is what you do...get a high flow cat for a replace on your stock cat, get them to cut the kazuma and weld in your stock resinator, they'll need to cut it off your old stock exhaust. Then get the kazuma welded on, and it'll sound very, very sweet! =) Has a very original sound...like If I'm sitting in my house, and my wife is on her way home, I can hear her coming before she even gets down our road. lol Have fun with it...I still say Kazuma is the way to go for the 2000-2005s!

I didnt lose any power when I put the Kazuma on...I gained. Also...dont take your cat off. I'm still running my stock cat. From what I've seen from experience, because I have had two seperate kazumas on it...one witht the stock resinator, and one without, I kept the one with the resinator...sounds a hell of a lot better.

Here is what you do...get a high flow cat for a replace on your stock cat, get them to cut the kazuma and weld in your stock resinator, they'll need to cut it off your old stock exhaust. Then get the kazuma welded on, and it'll sound very, very sweet! =) Has a very original sound...like If I'm sitting in my house, and my wife is on her way home, I can hear her coming before she even gets down our road. lol Have fun with it...I still say Kazuma is the way to go for the 2000-2005s!

Sweet.. Thanks.. I was worried that removing the cat and the resinator would be illegal. But not removing it will defeat the purpose of getting the kazuma and the trd one would be better.

Sweet.. Thanks.. I was worried that removing the cat and the resinator would be illegal. But not removing it will defeat the purpose of getting the kazuma and the trd one would be better.

So your gonna get the Kazuma and slap it on with a high flow cat and a shorter resinator? Sounds good! As long as you have a cat on there, they wont mess with you very much...if you don't have one where I live first ticket is 500 USD. But the good thing about the high flow cat is that its pretty much just a through pipe, which means if you do have emissions laws I wouldnt recomend the high flow, because the honeycomb inside that stops the exhaust emissions is pretty much...not there. =)