diy jdm style tail lights

T.J

i ordered the narva bulbs and bulb holders from repco (near bunnings) on the great western @ mt druitt. roughly it was 2.50 each for the bulb holders and 2 bucks something for a pair of bulbs. all up 8.50 for everything?

they didnt have any bulb holders in stock, so they had them ordered in.

i know for a fact they have at least 2 more of them bulb holders! pretty hard to come by at repco so get em while you still can or else youd have to get them to order it from narva.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys with facelift tail lights.. Is it possible to make a tail light and not just a brake light without much modification? I was testing some things and the only result was that I shorted the 5W and the 21W was constantly on.. I think the problem is that there is only one conductor going to the the extra globe socket. I want the tail and brake to work not just the brake.

Any help would be good.

Andy i too was looking at that man, yeh its only got 1 conductor which wont let it work. I just finished doing mine, man couldnt get my head around the Solder not sticking to the conductors. There wasnt much plastic left cos it was all melting. I just wrapped around the actual lines and soldered, the resin made it stick.

done it! thanks to help with dad who can solder heaps better than i can, we got through it pretty quick. we just drilled holes into the plastic and tilted the drill so the holes would join up and make a bigger hole. a vaccuum is really handy to get the scraps out of the lense and dont move the tail light around too much otherwise you end up with littleblack bits stuck in the lense.

• 2 weeks later...

For pre-facelifts, just use scotch clips to tap into the rear lights.

The only thing I use the solder for was to burn the hole. Clip the cables together using scotch clips. Easy as .......

Mine is also secured with blue tack. :toast: :toast: Summer is around the corner. Would be keen to see how that holds.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

For pre-facelifts, just use scotch clips to tap into the rear lights.

The only thing I use the solder for was to burn the hole. Clip the cables together using scotch clips. Easy as .......

Mine is also secured with blue tack. :toast: :toast: Summer is around the corner. Would be keen to see how that holds.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

hey is scotch clips the proper name? i googled it but went nowhere. where can you get them?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

has anyone successfully been able to wire up the secondary bulb to be both a Brake AND tail light?

I would really like to know, cause the stock Corolla RunX has it set-up like this...

Evo

Hey Guys,

has anyone successfully been able to wire up the secondary bulb to be both a Brake AND tail light?

I would really like to know, cause the stock Corolla RunX has it set-up like this...

Evo

yep!

BKS, have you done it? if you have, i would like to know if you could tell me how you did it, in relation to which wires won't short out... i really like the RunX look lol :P

Evo

yes i have done it...

its pretty easy mate.

Whn you buy the additional bulb holder.. you obviously get a Brake/Tail one... and if you have a Pre Facelift.. like me.. then you just tap the same wires as the stock brake/tail bulb. its VERY easy.

theres an earth and 2 actives... one is tail and the other is Brake, plug in a globe.. and turn on your headlights... you'll know its right when the lamp glows, but when you tap the brake it goes bright... simple really.

good luck with it mate.

P1020681.JPG

yes i have done it...

its pretty easy mate.

Whn you buy the additional bulb holder.. you obviously get a Brake/Tail one... and if you have a Pre Facelift.. like me.. then you just tap the same wires as the stock brake/tail bulb. its VERY easy.

theres an earth and 2 actives... one is tail and the other is Brake, plug in a globe.. and turn on your headlights... you'll know its right when the lamp glows, but when you tap the brake it goes bright... simple really.

good luck with it mate.

P1020681.JPG

ok, cool thanks BKS, you're awesome, i might give it a go this weekend if i get a chance :D

Evo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i was wondering if anyone who has wired both brake and park for the facelift tail light be able to post up a picture of this so i can use it as a reference :)

thanks,

tiet.

Not possible unless you hack up the original setup.

Lights on the left is JDM and lights on the right is from facelift but you just add an extra piece of cable + bulb so that it also lights up the same time as the brakes do.

:lol:

i was wondering if anyone who has wired both brake and park for the facelift tail light be able to post up a picture of this so i can use it as a reference :)

thanks,

tiet.

to make the inner light both parker and brake light you need to use dual filament bulbs 21/5W, can the holder use dual filament bulbs? if not, then like what guni said, use a wire to hook up the dual bulb to the parkers.

Lights on the left is JDM and lights on the right is from facelift but you just add an extra piece of cable + bulb so that it also lights up the same time as the brakes do.

the rights are custom stocks if i remember, the bulbs were replaced by led plates if i recall reading

thanks,

tiet.

to make the inner light both parker and brake light you need to use dual filament bulbs 21/5W, can the holder use dual filament bulbs? if not, then like what guni said, use a wire to hook up the dual bulb to the parkers.

oh i see i have to test this, yeah im planning to add another wire for the brake, and just connect the 3rd conductor to the park

the rights are custom stocks if i remember, the bulbs were replaced by led plates if i recall reading

thanks,

tiet.

oh i see i have to test this, yeah im planning to add another wire for the brake, and just connect the 3rd conductor to the park

Tell me how it goes man. Don't forget pics aswell. I wanted it to be a park and brake light, but I couldnt be bothered experimenting.

thanks,

tiet.

Tell me how it goes man. Don't forget pics aswell. I wanted it to be a park and brake light, but I couldnt be bothered experimenting.

ahaha no worries man, but i warn you now it will be a bodgey job