diy jdm style tail lights

T.J

I just done the JDM style tail lights for my ascent today.

I want to thanks everyone has contributed this thread especially and1 because I used his method.

It took me about 4 hours to do this job, I am very happy with the result.

post-22906-0-29302500-1304754722_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As And1 said:

Have you had someone else step on the brakes while you were looking at the lights? Facelift inner lights only light up when you apply the brakes.

I also facing this problem, how to solve?

as mentioned above teit has done this in his member's ride thread:

or its simply this

i am not sure but i think i am the first to have JDM Stlye 05 Rear Taillights with Brake and Parkers :) (correct me if i am wrong sorry xD) all thanks to my friend flek, tracy, yang and sam (i dropped the tail light nut into the land of no return. This was the section inside the rear bumper. He stuck his hand down there and found the nut lol)

it was suprisingly easy to change my prefacelift taillights to the facelift ones, the wires pop out of the plug as clips and clip right into the new one :o and the wires pretty much match up so horray for me xD

light7.jpg

Lights Off

light3.jpg

light6.jpg

Parkers

light1.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/atiet/trash/light5.jpg

Brakes

light2.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/atiet/trash/light4.jpg

Though it is not the safest wire up and took some modification to the bulb plate holder xD future modifications will be done for the extra light, i will need to make a new set of conductors for the extra light

how did you get them fitted in the rear?

id rather not cut tbh!

have you seen the rear doors yet? at first i tried to re-modify the black pods on the door, i just siliconed the bracket plate onto it, but found out we were not able to fit the trim back on.

so basically we took off the pods by drilling into the pop rivets, bought a wood spacer, put it in place, drilled new holes and put the speakers in lol

if you don't really want to do this then stick with 5.25"

Hey Tiet could you please write how you at least connected it up?. I'm assuming you tapped a conductor, but which one??? Would really like to know..

first i just want to say this is only for now until i get time to create a proper conductor+clip and i would not recommend this i just really wanted brake+parks lol, if you choose to copy this then it is at your own free will and i do not hold any responsibilities for any damages or problems it may cause. sorry about the bad pictures they looked better on my phone when i had taken them.

at first my friend tried to bend the original conductor to the side, since it sat in the middle, but we found out it bent it too much and was not touching the bulb, it was getting dark and we just wanted to get it done, so here is what we done, i won't put this in the work submission section since its pretty bodgey but still looks good in the end lol xD

first we found out a 21/5w i think it was would not clip in so my friend melted slits in each side to lock/hold the bulb in.

plate3.jpg

my friend did the same like the others and connected wires to the brake and park he then melted a hole in the back of the extra bulb section and pulled the wires through.

plate5.jpg

if you try im pretty sure you could bend the conductor to sit in the right position, but we just soldered the wires straight onto the bulb, i am aware this would make it annoying to change the bulb, as im pretty sure i would get flamed for doing

plate4.jpg

then i just taped everything together and was ready to put it back in

plate1.jpgplate2.jpg

again this is what i chose to do, i do not recommend this method, i would rather you add a second conductor and sit it in place beside the conductor already there

please don't flame at me for this method of choice lol >_<

• 8 months later...

let me add to tiets way to doing it... the more "neater" way ;)

you melt all the plastic backing of the other side of the housing, solder the 2 wires on and then solder the other end on the loom of the tail light. (to see which one to solder to refer to the beginning of this guide on page 1.)

should look like this

DSC02325.jpg

to fit the bulb into the socket, just file off one of the earthing pins, when holding the bulb upright, file the lower pin, this way u can still use the other pin as a earth for both bulbs.

back behind the housing

DSC02326.jpg

that is all :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys...have just completed this mod to my '04 facelift Sportivo and looks great...but...I now have an orange coloured warning light on my dash when ever the brake pedal is pressed, can anyone shed some light to what's the cause and how to sort it?

Here's a pic:

DSC07542_zpsf021f64d.jpg

Cheers all ;)

W

Edited by WARIX

Everytime the brake pedal is pressed???? LMAO!!! That light is the rear foggy dude.. How did u get that to work??? Have us a complete picture of the cluster... That is definitely not from a sportivo... U mean the runx as seen in ur profile there :)

Haha, thanks mate. Yeah, mine's a jap import Runx TRD Sports M with the 2ZZ...thought mine was the same as the AU Sportivo but not to be, sorry for the confusion haha.

So it's the rear fog light dash icon, probably no big deal then aye...easiest fix would be to remove the bulb from the cluster then I'm guessing?

Cheers for the reply Kenshin X :)

Edit: dash photo added (and yes it's auto/tiptronic on steering wheel haha):

DSC07544_zpsfdc0f2a7.jpg

Edited by WARIX

All good now, easy fix. For anyone having this issue in the future, just disconnect the red wire with silver spots from the loom which connects into the drivers side tail light. This removes the fog light function from facelift tail lights which disables the orange fog-light indicator light from the dash cluster but still allows the use of the second brake light bulb holder in each tail light. :) :clap: