diy jdm style tail lights

T.J

heres a pic of mine. just got it done today. mine is a prefacelift model. changed the lights to a facelift + jdm. not a bad turn out :)

anyway, i will give +1 to this thread! Very2 helpful! :)

also +1 to our WA mod, Kenneth for the info on where to buy the stuff :)

post-7782-1246124643_thumb.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

heres a pic of mine. just got it done today. mine is a prefacelift model. changed the lights to a facelift + jdm. not a bad turn out :)

anyway, i will give +1 to this thread! Very2 helpful! :)

also +1 to our WA mod, Kenneth for the info on where to buy the stuff :)

post-7782-1246124643_thumb.jpg

Way to go Legend B)

now that is HOT!

i think its really good doing this mod, because it makes the back of the car more visible when under braking, plus add a Rear Spoiler with the LED's and you basically blind people because its sooo bright :P

Evo

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened up my tail lights to have a look at what needs to be done. Facelift model. Finding the last screw was a pain (the top one) but once I had everything off, the only things needed to be done was to solder a piece of wire from the brake light contact to the new one and put the bulb in. and drill/burn out the hole. Simple just need to buy some bulbs and I'll probably install it tomorrow.

A big thanks to jaderd for making this a whole lot easier =)

Edited by azzman372

Instead of soldering try this:

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

You'll find that the solder doesn't stick to well to the conductor plate.

So a couple of screws and a piece of wire on each side works way better.

Oh wow thanks and1. That looks a lot easier to do as i've been reading that most people have been probems with the solder sticking to the contacts. I'll give this a go and post up my results =)

Also go my bulbs from k-mart. $4.00 Austa Stop-indicator-reverse globe 12 volt 21 watt Item# 382

img2353e.th.jpg

Edited by azzman372

Done!

Just to add how I did it.

I took the lights off the car and I used a soldering iron to melt the hole. Then I drilled holes on the plate and stuck the wire down it and screwed in a screw to hold it in place. Thanks and1 for that tip!

Pics:

No lights at all

img2354g.th.jpg

Brake lights

img2355d.th.jpg

JDM not done

img2356a.th.jpg

JDM done

img2357n.th.jpg

JDM!

img2364s.th.jpg

No flash

img2365g.th.jpg

Just parkers

img2366p.th.jpg

With Brakes

img2367q.th.jpg

With indicators

img2368y.th.jpg

With reverse light

img2369.th.jpg

Edited by azzman372

Looks good Azz.. And your welcome :)

The rear end of your car looks very similar to mine now, except I debadged mine and resprayed the rear toyota emblem.

well ive just finished this mod the other day its relitively simple provided you solder and properly insulate the joins youll have no issues with it

**NOTE THIS IS A GUIDE ONLY IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES THAT MAY ARISE FROM THIS**

what youll need:

2x stop/tail globe holders i cut mine out of an old honda from the wreckers i got them for free

2x stop/tail globes bout 5-10 bucks

soldering iron

solder

drill if you really want

insulating tape or heatshrink

silicone gasget sealer

first pull out the tail light and unplug it from the wiring harness the inner lamp hole isnt cut for our models so itll have to be cut out you can use a drill to drill around the top to cut out the hole but i found just melting it out was much easier.

post-3066-1214313856_thumb.jpg

this is the part that needs to be cut out

post-3066-1214313916_thumb.jpg

this is the side i tried drilling i needed to clean it up with a soldering iron on the edges

post-3066-1214313993_thumb.jpg

the plug i used 3 wires one for earth, park and stop

post-3066-1214314064_thumb.jpg

the wires off the plug needed extending the wiring goes as follows

white/green stripe= earth

green/white stripe= brake

green= park lamp

these wires i refer to are the wires on the the tail light that you need to hook the extra light socket onto.

do not cut the wiring on the tail light just strip back the insulation and wrap the additional wires around them and solder them and either tape them up so they dont touch the other wires or use heatshrink if youve got it

post-3066-1214313778_thumb.jpg

putting in the globes seeing as theres no nodules to clip the globe housing into the tail light so i just melted the tabs off the sides of the globe holders

then i ran a bead of silicone gasget around the part where the globe holder goes into the tail light and simply pushed the gobe into the hole and waited for it to dry then reinstalled the tail light.

post-3066-1214313714_thumb.jpg

heres one side done

post-3066-1214313644_thumb.jpg

and both sides done

wow excellent, very easy to follow

Ok I believe that I am the first sedan owner to do this mod on this forum/have posted their results. I know there is already someone on owf who has done this.

Anyway this is on my prefacelift 04 sedan. I think its just as good as the hatch tail lights. :D:D:D

img2396i.th.jpg

img2398m.th.jpg

How I did it:

I got some sockets from the wreckers thanks to yuro and got my bulbs from kmart. Soldered out the hole for the lightbulb and stuck it in place with blutak. Awesome stuff that is. Then extended the wires and wrapped it around the contacts of the brake light and soldered it against itself. The contacts are the ones which have pins that poke into the wire and they come off. So I just wrapped the wire around it and put it back in (wish i took a pic)

Took about 2 hours in the dark with a torchlight

Ok I believe that I am the first sedan owner to do this mod on this forum/have posted their results. I know there is already someone on owf who has done this.

Anyway this is on my prefacelift 04 sedan. I think its just as good as the hatch tail lights. :D:D:D

img2396i.th.jpg

img2398m.th.jpg

How I did it:

I got some sockets from the wreckers thanks to yuro and got my bulbs from kmart. Soldered out the hole for the lightbulb and stuck it in place with blutak. Awesome stuff that is. Then extended the wires and wrapped it around the contacts of the brake light and soldered it against itself. The contacts are the ones which have pins that poke into the wire and they come off. So I just wrapped the wire around it and put it back in (wish i took a pic)

Took about 2 hours in the dark with a torchlight

You almost fooled me.

From far, your car in the second picture looks like a Merc C-Class. HAHAHA

Well done with the lights :clap:

but why Toyota didn't have this throughout all the models in the first place, is the frustrating bit

cause itd cost extra on top of the price yadda yadda you know how it is

good to see so many people giving it a go never thought itd be so popular lol! guess ill have to come up with another diy

• 2 weeks later...

I did my JDM lights yesterday....

thanks to Azzman and and1 + the others who posted up pictures... it made it that much easier...

I decided to cut a hole instead of melting.... since the melting didn't look that appealing...

here's some pics.... didn't bother with too many pics as there is a thorough guide already on here...

dsc08841d.jpg

Things i bought for $11.50 from BUNNINGS WAREHOUSE

1. 3mm metal thread screws

2. 3mm Fastners - hexagon nuts

3. male blades - with easy entry [part No. LT039-JK]

4. Narva Auto Bulb 12V 21W BA15s

dsc00327stocktaillight.jpg

Stock

dsc00336g.jpg

JDM !!!

dsc00339f.jpg

JDM !!

Edited by envykenshin

• 3 weeks later...

Really wishing to do this, have all the tools, only main park where im getting confused is the wiring up part, anyone willing to shed some detail on what to do? Facelift taillight btw, Take the tail like out, drill a hole in where the jdm light does, put the 12v 21w bulb in the buld holder (already stock on the facelift), and then comes the wiring...

Cheers if anyone has easy steps :)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, i will not take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Well u got the majority of it... the wiring..

I can help you if you're willing to drill and use screws [and1's method]

these pictures might help .. save them and zoom in for convenience....

[stole em from and1... hope u don't mind]

TIPS:

1. remove the buttony things shown in the pictures using a blade.

2. get a 3mm drill piece.. because thats how wide the buttony things are .. and get ur hands on 4....... 3mm width screws.

3. after this just find a way to tie the wire to the screw.. i used something called 'male blades' found at local bunnings store

4. the final thing is the fastner thing to hold in the male blade

AND ur done..

if ur confused abt the parts just take a look 2-3 posts up.

here's some visual aid

52699166.jpg

step 1. remove the two buttony things shown using a blade .. be careful!

img3635.jpg

visual aid

img3639f.jpg

the back should look something like this when ur done!

goodluck.. credit to and1 and azzmans work. + anyone else who deserves credit LOL

edit: last image died, updated 16/08/2010

Edited by Chrono Trigger