Dash Rattle

brezza76

I think I have detected a slight dash rattle, it seems to be comming from the front of the dash (drivers side) but I cant put my finger on it. Has anyone else had the same problem? I dont want to go back to Toyota and sound like a *****. It is something I now notice everytime I get in the car.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a slight rattle only on cold mornings, drivers side steering column? instrument panel? difficult to pinpoint and goes away after a short time on the road or warmed up. I didnt get any feedback on the cable tunnels (plastic and loose ) RH/LH under the dash where the wiring loom passes through to the doors, they have to be a potential for rattles?

Cheers

DHOUS

I also have a slight rattle only on cold mornings, drivers side steering column? instrument panel? difficult to pinpoint and goes away after a short time on the road or warmed up. I didnt get any feedback on the cable tunnels (plastic and loose ) RH/LH under the dash where the wiring loom passes through to the doors, they have to be a potential for rattles?

Cheers

DHOUS

that is where it sounds like it is comming from, but it seems maybe it is near the wipers?? i have no idea

Cheers

DHOUS

that is where it sounds like it is comming from, but it seems maybe it is near the wipers?? i have no idea

Check out the post on page 2. (sorry dont know how to add a link :o ) its titled Assumed Dash Flexing Rattles.

Hopefully this helps

I think I have detected a slight dash rattle, it seems to be comming from the front of the dash (drivers side) but I cant put my finger on it. Has anyone else had the same problem? I dont want to go back to Toyota and sound like a *****. It is something I now notice everytime I get in the car.

I could hear a rattle, but noone else did, that seemed to come from under the steering wheel. I could hear it when stopped in reverse, first thing in the morning, when the engine was revving high, and when going over small bumps, not big ones, so it was obviously something oscilating at certain frequencies.

I took quite a few panels off the interior looking for a loose connector hitting the panels, because thats what it sounded like, but found nothing there.

I then discovered that the noise wasn't really coming from under the steering wheel; the sound was being transmitted through the panels from lower down. It turned out to be the side panel of the console. I pulled out the plastic retaining stud int the panel next to the foot rest, put a peice of thick cardboard with a hole for the stud behind the panel, and replaced the stud. Now there is total silence. I am going to replace the cardboard with a peice of rubber or foam in the future.

I wish I had found the problem straight away, as it was in the easiest possible place to fix.

I hope to ****** mine stays rattle-free - the KX-S I test-drove sounded like someone had slid a CD inside the dash and it was bouncing round on top of the headunit :huh:

Cheers

DHOUS

Check out the post on page 2. (sorry dont know how to add a link :o ) its titled Assumed Dash Flexing Rattles.

Hopefully this helps

cheers mate, maybe that is it although i have checked the plastic surround and it seems quite tight...again no idea

I could hear a rattle, but noone else did, that seemed to come from under the steering wheel. I could hear it when stopped in reverse, first thing in the morning, when the engine was revving high, and when going over small bumps, not big ones, so it was obviously something oscilating at certain frequencies.

I took quite a few panels off the interior looking for a loose connector hitting the panels, because thats what it sounded like, but found nothing there.

I then discovered that the noise wasn't really coming from under the steering wheel; the sound was being transmitted through the panels from lower down. It turned out to be the side panel of the console. I pulled out the plastic retaining stud int the panel next to the foot rest, put a peice of thick cardboard with a hole for the stud behind the panel, and replaced the stud. Now there is total silence. I am going to replace the cardboard with a peice of rubber or foam in the future.

I wish I had found the problem straight away, as it was in the easiest possible place to fix.

if i pop the stud will it go back in?, I want to have a look but I dont want to stuff the panel up.

I hope to ****** mine stays rattle-free - the KX-S I test-drove sounded like someone had slid a CD inside the dash and it was bouncing round on top of the headunit :huh:

look the car has been excellent, its just that now everytime i get in the car it is something I notice and it seems to be occouring more (Sydney roads are terrible) which doesnt help. It is not so bad I cant live with it, but I would like it to go away... :( :(

if i pop the stud will it go back in?, I want to have a look but I dont want to stuff the panel up.

If you put your fingers behind the panel near the stud, it is quite easy to pop out the stud. You can test if this is where the problem is by putting something behind the panel to stop it vibrating, and go for a drive before putting something there permanently.

The stud just pushes in again.

Edited by Mikeyboy

If you put your fingers behind the panel near the stud, it is quite easy to pop out the stud. You can test if this is where the problem is by putting something behind the panel to stop it vibrating, and go for a drive before putting something there permanently.

The stud just pushes in again.

legend....that is exactly the stud i was refering to....many thanks...i will go to the local clark rubber grab some filling and give it a try...I have a sneaky suspicion that will fix it....I will let you all know...kudos

April08 Build, May08 Compliance. It's just a loose fitting that is easy fixed with a rubber plug as described above. Mine is not constant, just every now and then and can be stopped by giving the panel a kick with my left foot. Am planning to get the rubber plug during the week. It appears as though it's due from only 2-3mm of movement from the side panel of the console.

Beezza76,

My build is August 07

The dash rattles I had are covered in a couple of lengthly posts including the resolution on recent pages.

My dealer Jacobs Toyota Wodonga logged the problem and solution to it on the Toyota internal portal site for other dealers to access.

Your dealer could contact Adam from the service dept of the above dealer for the solution first hand.

But I believe your dealer accessing the internal website is more the appropiate way to the cure that caused my problem.

That mentioned side panel was a prob for me too until I kicked it.

Hope your rattle is found soon, as it can P**s one of totally.

Beezza76,

My build is August 07

The dash rattles I had are covered in a couple of lengthly posts including the resolution on recent pages.

My dealer Jacobs Toyota Wodonga logged the problem and solution to it on the Toyota internal portal site for other dealers to access.

Your dealer could contact Adam from the service dept of the above dealer for the solution first hand.

But I believe your dealer accessing the internal website is more the appropiate way to the cure that caused my problem.

Cheers Garry. I didnt get a chance to go to Clark Rubber and fill the side panel with foam. I am going to Toyota to get them to checked it out, and i did a search and saw that you had a similar problem which was resolved by looking at the wiper housing.

I would like to thank everyone that posted comments (so far) its a great site and everyone has been really helpful.

My build is March 2008.

Thanks again

Brezza

Beezza76,

My build is August 07

Cheers Garry. I didnt get a chance to go to Clark Rubber and fill the side panel with foam. I am going to Toyota to get them to checked it out, and i did a search and saw that you had a similar problem which was resolved by looking at the wiper housing.

I would like to thank everyone that posted comments (so far) its a great site and everyone has been really helpful.

My build is March 2008.

Thanks again

Brezza

Just picked up my new FWD Grande(finally after a 3 month wait) its a June 08 build and the first thing I noticed was that rattle behind the steering wheel.Noise went away once car warmed up .Very happy with the Kluger so far beautiful to drive.Lookin forward to chatting to you guys.

• 1 month later...

Hi brezza76,

Has the rattle in your car now been fixed?? I am close to purchasing a new Grande AWD but am really worried about Dash Rattles as two Grande's I test drove had a rattle somewhere around the steering column particularly going over small bumps and driving downhill.

I know it's petty but dash rattles or any rattles in new car's freak me out due to the absolute horror I went through with a new VE Commodore....will never buy a holden ever again.....the VE I had rattled like it was Christmas time and I'm about to spend double the money on a Grande so I'm trying to find out if Toyota Kluger's really are good in the quality department.

Any feed back would be much appreciated, I have found this website fantastic for info on the Klugers.

Cheers all.

I have a noise when the car go over bumps. I sounds like from the sat nav area. I think when I press my left knee to the centre console the sounds is more. I think I costed it :(. If there is no bump, no sound.

Hi brezza76,

Has the rattle in your car now been fixed?? I am close to purchasing a new Grande AWD but am really worried about Dash Rattles as two Grande's I test drove had a rattle somewhere around the steering column particularly going over small bumps and driving downhill.

I know it's petty but dash rattles or any rattles in new car's freak me out due to the absolute horror I went through with a new VE Commodore....will never buy a holden ever again.....the VE I had rattled like it was Christmas time and I'm about to spend double the money on a Grande so I'm trying to find out if Toyota Kluger's really are good in the quality department.

Any feed back would be much appreciated, I have found this website fantastic for info on the Klugers.

Cheers all.

Don't let the noise in the dash put you off, Id never buy another Commodore again either(we had Berlina VX Wagon with 99k on it when sold felt like 1000000k), I have not investigated it but I imagine it may have something to do with the GPS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT even if it had 1000 killer wasps buzzing away in the glove box all the other positives about the car would put me back in a Commodore!

Next service will get that and the foot brake fixed

Hey PC XT,

Good to hear that feed back yep Commodore is now a distant sad memory............

Yeah I was mainly concerned because the 2 demo Klugers I drove had very minor rattles and more in the morning when it's cold and you throw into reverse but once warmed up all is good. But everyone on this website seems to say that the Toyota dealers fix these rattles and they never return.......Holden service dealers should do some work experience at Toyota.

I'm ready to sign for the Grande and am really glad I stumbled across this website during my google search!

Cheers

Hi brezza76,

Cheers all.

Don't let the noise in the dash put you off, Id never buy another Commodore again either(we had Berlina VX Wagon with 99k on it when sold felt like 1000000k), I have not investigated it but I imagine it may have something to do with the GPS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT even if it had 1000 killer wasps buzzing away in the glove box all the other positives about the car would put me back in a Commodore!

Hey Ric,

You want it to be just a distant Memory, the only thing sad about it is the very low resale value in the end.

You wont be disappointed and I'm not the only member on here that will say that! The car will be a big change from the holden as the hight difference feels like double but the ride quality you get in the Toyota is superb when compared to the moaning and groaning skateboard feeling Toyota.....I still like driving my Subaru because it is chuck-able where the Toyota wallows in the corners. If I had to drive one of the tree across Oz I would pick the Toyota, then the Forester then the Train (the Commodore missed the cut)

Good luck.

Hey PC XT,

Good to hear that feed back yep Commodore is now a distant sad memory............

Yeah I was mainly concerned because the 2 demo Klugers I drove had very minor rattles and more in the morning when it's cold and you throw into reverse but once warmed up all is good. But everyone on this website seems to say that the Toyota dealers fix these rattles and they never return.......Holden service dealers should do some work experience at Toyota.

I'm ready to sign for the Grande and am really glad I stumbled across this website during my google search!

Cheers

Hi brezza76,

Cheers all.

Hey Leighthebee,

I was reading elsewhere in these forums that someone else had rattles in the dash and it ended up being the wiper housing and the Toyota dealer new the fix for it and has posted it on the Toyota internal portal.....maybe that's it, if it sounds like it's coming from behind the reverse camera??

mines a KXR

and the horrible rattle comes from directly above the reverse camera display.

anybody have this same rattle??