Dash Rattle

brezza76

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers Ric. its up for its 30K service so I'll log it with them. its the wifes car, so I only notice it when i infrequently drive it.

Exactly like my car with half the Kms sound coming from the middle right section of the dash but I don't drive it that much like you

The Kluger's going to be my every day vehicle, so if you guys had to drive yours full time the rattles you have are only minor and wouldn't bother you that much?

Sorry I am sound really picky I know....it's also due to the Holden Dealers as they never fixed my Commodore and just said nah all VE's are like that, so I'm pretty jaded. I guess I'm just trying to make sure that if the Kluger has any rattles or issues in general the after sales service is good as well from Toyota....because the General's crap!

cheers Ric. its up for its 30K service so I'll log it with them. its the wifes car, so I only notice it when i infrequently drive it.

Exactly like my car with half the Kms sound coming from the middle right section of the dash but I don't drive it that much like you

Both of my Klugers had the same rattle that seemed to come from under the steering wheel.

I fixed both of them the same way.

I cut a 30mm sqare of adhesive floor protector and put a hole in the middle; the stuff you put under furniture to stop it scratching the floor.

I then removed the stud holding the panel next to the foot rest and stuck the protector behind the hole for the stud.

Replaced the stud and the rattle goes away.

For the people with a rattle in the centre of the dash, I'm sure this won't work.

Both of my Klugers had the same rattle that seemed to come from under the steering wheel.

I fixed both of them the same way.

I cut a 30mm sqare of adhesive floor protector and put a hole in the middle; the stuff you put under furniture to stop it scratching the floor.

I then removed the stud holding the panel next to the foot rest and stuck the protector behind the hole for the stud.

Replaced the stud and the rattle goes away.

For the people with a rattle in the centre of the dash, I'm sure this won't work.

Mikey, I am not 100% with you. Could you take a pictures of your DIY?

Thanks

The Kluger's going to be my every day vehicle, so if you guys had to drive yours full time the rattles you have are only minor and wouldn't bother you that much?

Sorry I am sound really picky I know....it's also due to the Holden Dealers as they never fixed my Commodore and just said nah all VE's are like that, so I'm pretty jaded. I guess I'm just trying to make sure that if the Kluger has any rattles or issues in general the after sales service is good as well from Toyota....because the General's crap!

no offence, but aside from the bloke here with the oil leak, the customer service from Toyota (the few times you need it) they are night and day in comparison.

I'm sure there are good and bad dealers but I think on the whole the customer satisfaction from Toyota ownership is brilliant.

Other car makers call Toyota bland (Ford Forumers in particular seem to delight in this), but I think this is a backhanded compliment because you don't have to think about them.

I love buying Australian, but when it comes to cars, nobody puts them together like the Japanese!

no offense, but aside from the bloke here with the oil leak, the customer service from Toyota (the few times you need it) they are night and day in comparison.

I'm sure there are good and bad dealers but I think on the whole the customer satisfaction from Toyota ownership is brilliant.

Other car makers call Toyota bland (Ford Forums in particular seem to delight in this), but I think this is a backhanded compliment because you don't have to think about them.

I love buying Australian, but when it comes to cars, nobody puts them together like the Japanese!

I agree with the last statement.

Also I spoke with a Toyota Mech last night at a BBQ re the foot brake and he him self mentioned DRIVING WITH THE THING ON! The thing needs a beeper on it when its left on whilst in motion! he said they just need to be adjusted properly and they are fine so we shall see if that is true next service. Also the rattle in the Kluger he had never heard of before but he did mention the Camry are getting there whole dashes ripped out and bigger mounting clips are being installed I hope thats not our solution.

He also mentioned the Camry had a problem with the air vents if they were pointed off centre causing them to vibrate when the air was passing through them, I don't think that is related to the Kluger!

Reading all this feed back has made me feel so much better about buying Toyota, I also spoke to a mechanic on the weekend who doesn't work for Toyota and he said you simply can't go past Toyota for quality.

I'm ordering my Kluger Grande AWD tomorrow can't wait. :D

no offense, but aside from the bloke here with the oil leak, the customer service from Toyota (the few times you need it) they are night and day in comparison.

Other car makers call Toyota bland (Ford Forums in particular seem to delight in this), but I think this is a backhanded compliment because you don't have to think about them.

Also I spoke with a Toyota Mech last night at a BBQ re the foot brake and he him self mentioned DRIVING WITH THE THING ON! The thing needs a beeper on it when its left on whilst in motion! he said they just need to be adjusted properly and they are fine so we shall see if that is true next service. Also the rattle in the Kluger he had never heard of before but he did mention the Camry are getting there whole dashes ripped out and bigger mounting clips are being installed I hope thats not our solution.

He also mentioned the Camry had a problem with the air vents if they were pointed off centre causing them to vibrate when the air was passing through them, I don't think that is related to the Kluger!

Reading all this feed back has made me feel so much better about buying Toyota, I also spoke to a mechanic on the weekend who doesn't work for Toyota and he said you simply can't go past Toyota for quality.

I'm ordering my Kluger Grande AWD tomorrow can't wait. :D

Good work!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I know this is a late input on this topic (and I'm a bit new to the TOCA Website) but I'd thought I'd add a comment re dash rattles. This seems to be a common problem and Toyota do recognise this (I have insider info) and it is mainly to do with the clips that hold the dash together. Not sure if there is an official fix planned as yet. Also in the Australian models they have an Australian only radio, however the factory places two aeriel connections behind the dash, and only one gets used. The other is simply left to bounce around and this is how I found my rattle. A simple bit of tape wrapped around the unused plug worked wonders!!

Getting to the plugs can be relatively simple be removing the vent facia panel (also surrounds the LCD screen) but take a lot of care not to damage anything.

• 9 months later...

Here's my rattling issue, the dealer service advisor found a loose screw on the speaker behind the audio unit for the warning buzzer (so they claimed) and they did rectify the rattle, next was slight rattling sound coming from under the steering wheel, upon inspection I found that it came from the knee air bag cover. They re-fit it and no noise can be heard as yet. Hopefully thats the end of it.

Here's my rattling issue, the dealer service advisor found a loose screw on the speaker behind the audio unit for the warning buzzer (so they claimed) and they did rectify the rattle, next was slight rattling sound coming from under the steering wheel, upon inspection I found that it came from the knee air bag cover. They re-fit it and no noise can be heard as yet. Hopefully thats the end of it.

That reminds me must book car in to get new windscreen and redo dash with new revised felt mounting clips to solve the rattle problems with the Klugers!

mines a KXR

and the horrible rattle comes from directly above the reverse camera display.

anybody have this same rattle??

Yep - my car is a '07 KXR, the rattle started around 18K directly over the camera screen and also near the instrument cowling. Fixed by the dealer without any drama, advised that there are plastic clips which hold the dash up broke. Don't put up with it, it will drive you crazy and spoil the ownership experience. B)

mines a KXR

and the horrible rattle comes from directly above the reverse camera display.

anybody have this same rattle??

Yep, mine is a KXR 07 model. Same place plus over the instrument cowling. Repaired by the dealer, the dash is so big the plastic clips occasionally break. Hassle the dealer, it was not a problem at Penrith Toyota.

I have a major rattle over speed humps on the center dash (behind the sat nav) area. Toyota could not find the rattle at 40000km service...

Rattle is not covered after 1 year/ 20000km. You have to pay for it to get it fixed!?

Hi All,

Thought I had a rattle the other day. Turned out it was a bottle rattling in a drink holder, so check that out first!

Cheers,

Snowy98

I thought I had a rattle too, until I realised it was my sunglasses up in the holder! :P

I have a major rattle over speed humps on the center dash (behind the sat nav) area. Toyota could not find the rattle at 40000km service...

Rattle is not covered after 1 year/ 20000km. You have to pay for it to get it fixed!?

I have the same rattle centre of the dash plus other rattles and I have done 27k and over twelve months old and the dealer will be fixing it .

Also having all 4 door trims replaced next week due to the cracks in the arm rests

I have a clunking sound in my steering as well, so they will be fixing that to.

Then I will be in to them about my front tyres scrubbing out on the edges.

Other than that the car is great

One thing a lot of people often over look is that any goods purchased are covered by a statutory warranty which gives the consumer the right to negotiate with the vendor should the goods break down or develop a fault within an unreasonable time. Even if you are outside the Toyota warranty, you may still have rights for a remedy under the statutory warranty. The NSW department of Fiar Trading has a publication available at http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/Abo...tions/ft230.pdf and I believe there are similar provisions in all other states.

The question therefore comes down to whether the cause of the rattle is one which has occurred in an unreasonable time. Me personally, I would expect a car to last for at least 5-10 years without major fault, assuming it was cared for properly. If a rattle is caused by a broken clip, design or manufacturing defect, then they should fix it.

Don't give up and let the dealer get away with it, stand up for your rights as a consumer.

Hi all

I am looking at getting an AWD grande (second hand) and there isn't one i that i have driven that doesn't have this rattle. Some just rattle constantly.....others only rattle over bumpy roads. I am extremely disappointed as i really do like the cars but its a shame Toyota have this issue with them.

For a manufacturer who has claims to such great build quality this is an embarrassment. Rattles may seem like trivial issues but i can assure you they aren't. They are annoying and most frustrating and reflect poor quality controls, something Toyota had claimed to have boosted when production of the Kluger commenced.

I have a 10k commodore that is 8 years old and it doesn't rattle. For the money one is outlaying for the Kluger it shouldn't have a gremlin like this in it.

Some of these rattle its seems like the dash is flexing of rubbing against the chassis. Regardless i will continue with persuing my Kluger in the hope of finding one for the right money and if a rattle is evident i guess i will have to drive a dealer insane over it.

Can anyone advise if they have had a successful fix to their rattle and which dealer resolved it? i am in Sydney.

Thanks all