Dash Rattle

brezza76

Hi all

I am looking at getting an AWD grande (second hand) and there isn't one i that i have driven that doesn't have this rattle. Some just rattle constantly.....others only rattle over bumpy roads. I am extremely disappointed as i really do like the cars but its a shame Toyota have this issue with them.

For a manufacturer who has claims to such great build quality this is an embarrassment. Rattles may seem like trivial issues but i can assure you they aren't. They are annoying and most frustrating and reflect poor quality controls, something Toyota had claimed to have boosted when production of the Kluger commenced.

I have a 10k commodore that is 8 years old and it doesn't rattle. For the money one is outlaying for the Kluger it shouldn't have a gremlin like this in it.

Some of these rattle its seems like the dash is flexing of rubbing against the chassis. Regardless i will continue with persuing my Kluger in the hope of finding one for the right money and if a rattle is evident i guess i will have to drive a dealer insane over it.

Can anyone advise if they have had a successful fix to their rattle and which dealer resolved it? i am in Sydney.

Thanks all

:whistling: Penrith Toyota fixed my rattles, depends whether your car still has warranty etc. If you buy from a Toyota dealer or any other dealer, insist it is repaired before you buy / hand over your money.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same dash rattle mentioned earlier in this post which was above the radio.i removed the centre vents and found the top right bolt that supports the radio and mfd was loose (the washer was rattling).i retightened this bolt and also taped up the extra aerial plug floating behind the radio and no more rattles....so far... :)

• 2 months later...

Had a dash rattle looked at and fixed by Toyota yesterday. Although the noise was coming from the dash, it was actually caused by a faulty door seal, which they lubricated to fix the problem. The vibration was being transmitted from the door through the chasis ending up at the dash.

Hey Leighthebee,

I was reading elsewhere in these forums that someone else had rattles in the dash and it ended up being the wiper housing and the Toyota dealer new the fix for it and has posted it on the Toyota internal portal.....maybe that's it, if it sounds like it's coming from behind the reverse camera??

mines a KXR

and the horrible rattle comes from directly above the reverse camera display.

anybody have this same rattle??

We travel back and forth to Adelaide from Canberra several times a year and when we first did this trip we had these

dash rattles. Read on the US site http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122 about this problem and approached

our dealer who removed and replaced the dash. First attempt was nearly successful and after the second remove/replace

there is not a peep. Solid as a rock.

We had our windscreen (due to rock hit) and dash clips replaced this week, mad a world of difference :D They replaced 6 to 8 clips located in the front of the dash takes about half a day to do, the felt/cloth that is around the clips wears until it hits the plastic clip... then welcome to mr dash rattle.

A Known fault for Klugers by Toyota. :o

See picture of what they have to do to get to the clips

Edited by PC XT

I think I have detected a slight dash rattle, it seems to be comming from the front of the dash (drivers side) but I cant put my finger on it. Has anyone else had the same problem? I dont want to go back to Toyota and sound like a *****. It is something I now notice everytime I get in the car.
Edited by Skydel

• 2 months later...
Well my rattles are back <_< Had it checked again and the service centre secured some wires beneath the dash but it is still there.

So did they rip the dash out and replace the clips??

Well my rattles are back <_< Had it checked again and the service centre secured some wires beneath the dash but it is still there.

Nope, that will be the next step.

Nope, that will be the next step.

They have just been wasting your time then, it will never go away if they dont get to the heart of the problem which are the clips that hold the top of the dash in near the windscreen

When I told my Toyota service dept that an intermittent rattle had started in the dash area of our Kluger she said they would look at it but it would be at my cost if they found something loose as I should have found it earlier for example in the first 1,000ks.

I just looked at the cow behind the desk and asked if she could point that out to me in the warranty information section of my manual. She declined as she was to busy at that moment but let me know that they would have a look at it as a priority if I happened to be driving around and close to the service dept and the rattle comes back!

I said when I am next in it will be for their compulsory Toyota advantage service and then she can show me where in my manual it mentions the time limitations on rattles.

Everthing with this dealer was good up until that crap answer she gave! :angry:

When I told my Toyota service dept that an intermittent rattle had started in the dash area of our Kluger she said they would look at it but it would be at my cost if they found something loose as I should have found it earlier for example in the first 1,000ks.

I just looked at the cow behind the desk and asked if she could point that out to me in the warranty information section of my manual. She declined as she was to busy at that moment but let me know that they would have a look at it as a priority if I happened to be driving around and close to the service dept and the rattle comes back!

I said when I am next in it will be for their compulsory Toyota advantage service and then she can show me where in my manual it mentions the time limitations on rattles.

I'm sure there would be a legal case somewhere that has set the precedent for rattles. I know in the Subaru I had prior to the Kluger, the warranty specifically mentioned 20,000km as the limit for rattles, but I can't recall seeing anything similar in the Kluger warranty booklet.

I'm sure there would be a legal case somewhere that has set the precedent for rattles. I know in the Subaru I had prior to the Kluger, the warranty specifically mentioned 20,000km as the limit for rattles, but I can't recall seeing anything similar in the Kluger warranty booklet.

Tell Toyota service to look at the listed dash issues for the early new Kluger models (which there is a warranty repair for like the oil line problem) and see if your car is affected by it? Good luck

Guys,

Quite a few pages back now (2008)my then dash rattle problems and the fix is covered. In short after a dash removal and other work done. It ended up originating from the outside of the windscreen under that black plastic full width cover around the wiper arms.

My local Wodonga Toyota dealer logged the fix on the Toyota portal for other dealers to read up. As it took many visits to the workshop until it was found. It was worse upon frosty winter mornings. The dealer never let up in there search to find it.

Garry

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I know this is a old topic and no one has replied to this topic for a while, Im interested to know if anyone is still having trouble with kluger dash rattling,mine is rattling when its cold, when it warms up the rattle goes away, I know some of you guys have had there dash removed and the dash clips replaced and I also read that the problem also could be coming from the windscreen wiper panel, Iam still confused whats actually causing the problem, all I know its driving me crazy.

What my biggest concern is after the dash is removed to fix the problem, that it actually fixes the problem, not a bandaid where it only fixes the problem for a short time and then the rattle returns later, so thats why im replying to this topic, I would like people thoughts and people that have the dash rattle and also people who have had the rattle fixed and if it was successfull or not, I dont really want to get the dash taken out if the problem cant be fixed successfully.

I bought the kluger second hand and its a 2007 model, but when I purchased it I got 3 year excended warranty, so hopefully it should be covered under warranty, anyway im still debating whether or not that its worth getting repaired, anyones oppinion would be greatly appreciated.