[DIY] Replace your Shifter Bushings (2ZZGE 6SPD)

Ok. Just thought i'd add my 2cents. first off, Great DIY post BKS. Glad to see some new technical stuff being added these days. Secondly; if you're going the skate bearing route, like And1 said, no need to buy the expensive bearings i.e ABEC rating from 1-5, 5being better than 1. they don't mean squat for our application so don't bother buying the expensive stuff. the higher the rating, the more precise the bearing and the faster the skates will go.

you clearly dont understand about what i was suggesting about the quality of the bearing.

better quality Bearings wont Blowout LATERALLY. I know the rolling quality of the bearing doesnt means squat and perfectly spherical balls wont make a difference. but at least spend some money on a decent brand.. not a decent skate brand... a decent bearing brand.

Yellow pages will tell you where your bearing shops are and the size you want is 608zz

That is why it would be best to buy from a skate store. Even their cheapest bearings have to be able to support a certain lateral load from the rigours of skate boarding, which are definately higher than the purpose we are using them for. Hence why you could get really cheap ones from a skate shop.

it doesnt work like that. trust me... and go to a bearing shop... ask for SKF bearings and buy 2.

Edited by Blind Kid Seeks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not talking mega bucks here, so does it really make that big a difference? Inevitably a better quality bearing will offer a better quality transition, even if it is not necessary. My suggestion is just get something that will not break down causing your car to $h1t itself!

"Mum, can you come and fetch me?"

We're not talking mega bucks here, so does it really make that big a difference? Inevitably a better quality bearing will offer a better quality transition, even if it is not necessary. My suggestion is just get something that will not break down causing your car to $h1t itself!

"Mum, can you come and fetch me?"

X2

Spend wise, and have the peice of mind. we're talking a few bucks difference here

guys, just wondering, I tried to remove the two hoses earlier and seems that the horizontal one is super tight and cant be removed at all...

the one vertically just slop like that but the other one won't even slide a bit...

and also how do u remove the catch can? just slide it upwards? cant see any screws around it...

Edited by Aks

guys, just wondering, I tried to remove the two hoses earlier and seems that the horizontal one is super tight and cant be removed at all...

the one vertically just slop like that but the other one won't even slide a bit...

and also how do u remove the catch can? just slide it upwards? cant see any screws around it...

just get a screwdriver and lever the hose off.... try twisting it on the the plug a bit.

the chacoal canister just slides off, correct.

• 4 weeks later...
my bloody catch can is stuck :angry:

It will not slide up.

It will come loose with a bit of wriggling mate, mine was pretty stubborn too.

It's amazing what one can do with a hammer.

Bushings changed, albeit dodgily. I didn't have the correct thickness rubber washers, so I had to compromise... I hope it holds.

Gear shift feels very loose indeed. I'll go for a test drive tomorrow.

It will not slide up.

Bushings changed, albeit dodgily. I didn't have the correct thickness rubber washers, so I had to compromise... I hope it holds.

yeah just make sure you use some ruber washers and some of the nyklon washers to help seperate the metal on metal... othewise at High RPM you may experience a rattle.... no-one like those.

Andy.

It will not slide up.

yeah just make sure you use some ruber washers and some of the nyklon washers to help seperate the metal on metal... othewise at High RPM you may experience a rattle.... no-one like those.

Andy.

I think there is enough vibrations alraedy from the shifter cable which is experiences at about 3000 rpm ++

Anyone got any idea how to fix those?

Just thought that I’d mention that I received my C-ONE shift cable bushes from Nengun ( http://www.nengun.com/c-one/shift-cable-bush ) on Friday and I installed them over the weekend and I must say that the shifting is much improved and it doesn’t feel as “notchy” as it did previously. Installation took me about 20 minutes.

Edited by pirate125

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought that I’d mention that I received my C-ONE shift cable bushes from Nengun ( http://www.nengun.com/c-one/shift-cable-bush ) on Friday and I installed them over the weekend and I must say that the shifting is much improved and it doesn’t feel as “notchy” as it did previously. Installation took me about 20 minutes.

yeah but for 141 bucks plus shipping seems like a cruel joke really i could get a machinist to make several sets for that price

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to do this tomorrow, and hopefully it will fix the problem I have with shufflin gears, she feels a bit "rubbery" and hard to get in to gear shiftin.

Edited by Simo

Going to do this tomorrow, and hopefully it will fix the problem I have with shufflin gears, she feels a bit "rubbery" and hard to get in to gear shiftin.

yeah mate def do it...

i reckon its a great mod to do...

do yourself a favour and get yourself some 2mm thick neoprene rubber... its great stuff between the washers.

Ok

Slid the two lines off, now where are these linkages. All i got is a plastic box in my hand, and I don't know what i'm looking for.

Chicaboo, if you are online, can you call me, just need a nudge in the right direction

damn pictures in the original diy are now missing.

whitestivo

I was head down mouth open cursing where the damn linakges where

BKS, this will make you laugh, I get the cannister out, and I'm looking at it thinking, how the hell do I get into this thing to find the linkages. As fas I can could tell it was perfectly sealed. So I spent agggggggggges rereading your notes, looking at the damn black cannister, and I just didn't get it.

And then, 20min later, there they were, UNDER, where the cannister sat.

I got em off ok, on was impossible. Big thanks to Gav for helping a tocau brother out.

As for the difference, my wife was so impressed with how smooth the shift is, she hit lift last night for the first time ever and got the change to second perfect, and I had to tell her to back off as she was going for lift again in a 60 zone.

Must do mod for any sportivo driver.

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

Now that's kinda funny you asking Bella to slow down now! :toast:

Nice one, Gav.

:blink: Hope that speed limit only applies to driving sportivo and not any other "couple-ly" exercise ............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P :P :P :P :P :P