Toyota Avensis Verso 2007 auto

I bought this vehicle new in May 2007, & it's plated 2007. Overall it's a brilliant car, the best I've ever owned.

However, from day one, I've experienced one nagging problem-----warm air constantly blows into the car, no matter what setting. In winter this is not a problem, but in summer....

The dealer supposedly examined & fixed the problem at the first free service. Not so.

Calls to various other Toyota dealers & to Toyota Australia gave me a variety of explanations---some quite ridiculous---

1 that's the way it is, drive with aircon on all the time;

2 that's the way it is because new air passes over the motor;

3 that's the way it is, & no one has experienced the same problem;

4 the vast expanse of windscreen makes it difficult to cool such a car(don't forget I'm talking about stopping warm air constantly entering the cabin, not about the efficiency of the airconditioning system: I may as well mention that I think, as a layman, that the aircon is affected by the warm air, but I'd rather fix the first problem before questioning the aircon's efficacy);

5 that's the way it is, have you checked that the intakes are not blocked by leaves etc---I have & they are not;

6 that's the way it is, shut the cabin inlet doors or switch to recirculating.

Other, more wiser people---my mechanic & a few aircon servicemen--- have suggested that the actual inlet doors(call them what you will) are constantly jammed in a position that allows warm air entry, no matter what other setting has been chosen. Of course further examination of the system has not been carried out by these people because the car is under warranty & such problems need to addressed by the Toyota dealer.

A second investigation by this dealer a few months later resulted in no improvement, with some doubts cast on my ability to distinguish between outside temperature air & the warm air I was experiencing in the cabin, with a bonus explanation( one of the 6 above).

I am now appealing for some help prior to approaching the dealer again (the dealer has always been courteous & obliging).

Does anyone have a suitable explanation? I cannot believe that this is standard operating procedure for an Avensis. And I have owned enough cars to know that the problem is real & not of my imagination.

Thanks in anticipation,

Vik.

Mate... sounds liek you have a faulty heater tap!

Now i am not sure how these are controlled on newer cars... but there is a tap that will allow water (engine temerature) through the heatercore (a mini radiator in your dash/behind the firewall) as air passes over it... such as when you open your vents... the hot air will come straight in. Decrease the temp setting on your climate control... the tap should be completely closed. if there is just SOME water coming in... you will end up with hot air.

I would be very persistant that they replace the heatercore or the climate control system. or at least check and inspect the tap that controls the flow of water to the heater core.

I can understand why they dont want to replace it for you or inspect it... it is not uncommon knowledge that when they build cars... they start with the heater core and build everything else around it! They are a massive Prick to get to... no matter the car!

Good Luck!

Edited by Blind Kid Seeks

Sounds like your A/C is not kicking in, can you hear the A/C compressor clutch kick in when you first turn your climate on? If it does, then you have a blend door fault. There's no heater tap, the heater receives constant engine coolant flow, it's up to the ECU controlling the blend door to determine how much hot air is passed into the cabin...

I bought this vehicle new in May 2007, & it's plated 2007. Overall it's a brilliant car, the best I've ever owned.

However, from day one, I've experienced one nagging problem-----warm air constantly blows into the car, no matter what setting. In winter this is not a problem, but in summer....

The dealer supposedly examined & fixed the problem at the first free service. Not so.

Calls to various other Toyota dealers & to Toyota Australia gave me a variety of explanations---some quite ridiculous---

1 that's the way it is, drive with aircon on all the time;

2 that's the way it is because new air passes over the motor;

3 that's the way it is, & no one has experienced the same problem;

4 the vast expanse of windscreen makes it difficult to cool such a car(don't forget I'm talking about stopping warm air constantly entering the cabin, not about the efficiency of the airconditioning system: I may as well mention that I think, as a layman, that the aircon is affected by the warm air, but I'd rather fix the first problem before questioning the aircon's efficacy);

5 that's the way it is, have you checked that the intakes are not blocked by leaves etc---I have & they are not;

6 that's the way it is, shut the cabin inlet doors or switch to recirculating.

Other, more wiser people---my mechanic & a few aircon servicemen--- have suggested that the actual inlet doors(call them what you will) are constantly jammed in a position that allows warm air entry, no matter what other setting has been chosen. Of course further examination of the system has not been carried out by these people because the car is under warranty & such problems need to addressed by the Toyota dealer.

A second investigation by this dealer a few months later resulted in no improvement, with some doubts cast on my ability to distinguish between outside temperature air & the warm air I was experiencing in the cabin, with a bonus explanation( one of the 6 above).

I am now appealing for some help prior to approaching the dealer again (the dealer has always been courteous & obliging).

Does anyone have a suitable explanation? I cannot believe that this is standard operating procedure for an Avensis. And I have owned enough cars to know that the problem is real & not of my imagination.

Thanks in anticipation,

Vik.

I've had the same problem with all 3 of my Corolla's, The problem is that hot water is constanly flowing through the heat exchanger and the temp is regulated by a flap in the air ducting which directs air through it or by passes it depending on your climate controle setting. Even when you set this to the coldest setting heat soak still warms the air. I fixed this by removing the hoses to the cabin heat exchanger (Of cause I capped the tubes with hose blanks). Now the air con works much better in summer (it doesn't have to over come the heat soak) and as I live in South East Queensland, not having a heater is not much of a problem. You could always reconnect the hoses at the start of each winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoVQxbPz-g

SuperPa

Thanks Blick, Pinzvidz & Blind Kid Seeks.

Your comments are much appreciated. I intend to pursue the matter to my satisfaction so all opinions will be offered to Toyota. I will keep you posted via this forum.

Thanks again