Whining sound on start up

Hi all,

I just got myself a 2007 Corolla Ascent (current shape) done 26,000 KMs, ex fleet car.

The car runs fine, however, sometimes when I start the car I can hear this high pitched whining sound during the ignition.

Can anyone shien some light on what that is?

The car is under warranty.

wheres the sound coming from? only while cranking? engine? clutch? gearbox? still do it when you're moving? coming from the speakers?

need more info to help here.

Only while starting the engine. Coming from the "bonnet".

wheres the sound coming from? only while cranking? engine? clutch? gearbox? still do it when you're moving? coming from the speakers?

need more info to help here.

Only while starting the engine. Coming from the "bonnet".

Ok so its not the fuel pump then... thats all i got for you... take it to an autoelec... and show them... that'd be my tip. Or hey why not drive to your toyota dealer and ask them.

Taken from:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/372200

High pitched sound... like a squeal of tires kind of noise?

If so it is a loose belt - lose fan belt, loose power steering belt.

The belts tend to stretch out over time and loosen, the turning engine "slips" the belt upon acceleration of the engine. Starting up goes from a dead stop to fast running - leading to more slippage.

There are other possibilities - I can't list them here - the number one cause would be the belt.

Does warranty cover belts or worn out belts?

Spoke to Toyota service just now and they said its a drive belt that makes the noise and they can fix it by warranty! ;)

Its to do with the air con fitting so no big deal!!

Im getting it fixed this wed for free.

ZRE152 Corollas now use a manual tensioner i.e. loosen and adjust, in place of an automatic spring or hydraulic loaded tensioner ala ZZE122 Corolla. Ascent/Levin SX/Conquest A/C fits are done at the dealer, so there's a good chance the P/D fitter hasn't done the belt tension up properly.

I hear a whine every time I start my car. Usually, however, it is me griping about the price of fuel and how far I have to travel...

Narrogins a small place Elan! Unless your heading into Wagin or Katanning or somewhere crazy!

Just a thoght but when my car is sitting still if I touch the steering wheel at all I can hear the power steering pump speed up. Thats a bit of a whine.

thats normal buddy

thats just our engine driving the belt on your power steering pump,Its not really recommed to turn the wheel on the spot coz it put unessesary load on the rack & pump unit but sometimes we can't help it right :rolleyes:

Just a thoght but when my car is sitting still if I touch the steering wheel at all I can hear the power steering pump speed up. Thats a bit of a whine.

thats normal buddy

thats just our engine driving the belt on your power steering pump,Its not really recommed to turn the wheel on the spot coz it put unessesary load on the rack & pump unit but sometimes we can't help it right :rolleyes:

Think you'll find they have electronic pumps on the rack now instead of an engine driven one.

Yeah yeah Angelo.i think its that honking big super charger thats making the noise buddy,I recommend dismantling & selling to the Boz ;) :lol::lol:

hahaha yeh just realised! my mistake.. come have a look wont disappoint