GTFour Ongoing Project

Xenadi

Ok Thought id make a project post to let people know what my plans are and give suggestions etc.

First up...

My power steering pump started leaking severely a few days ago - been looking everywhere for one but not having much luck

Also i finally got around to checking out my exhaust system to find im completely missing a catalytic convertor - any thoughts pro/con

****if anyone knows anyone pm me*****

Turbo Timer

Then...

Group A/CS/RC Front Bar + Reo

*****Still Looking for This*****

Battery Relocation

Under Carpet Insulation - i hate road noise, i dont wanna hear anything but my zorst and tunes

*****Yay loads of Fun*****

Twin Fans on Stock Radiator (Possible replace stock radiator for performance at a later stage) - Will do this once i get the front bar

Front Mount Intercooler + 2.5" stainless steel/Silicon piping - will do this once i get the front bar

*****Im confident i could do this myself but i need to know how difficult it is to hookup to the intake manifold, and info on clocking my turbo*****

Bypass/Recirculation Valve - prefer silent or move B.O.V sounding as i dont like the owl hooting sound

Boost Controller

Apexi Power Intake

*****need something made to get this onto the afm*****

Stainless Steel Turbo Heatshield

*****Anyone got any info?*****

Aussie Exhaust 3" Downpipe

Aussie Exhaust 3" Midpipe

Aussie Exhaust High Flow Catalytic Convertor

Aussie Exhaust 3" Hyper Catback Exhaust

****Hopefully Stainless Steel if the $$$ permit*****

TRD performance Springs

Strut Brace front +back

Performance Struts - no idea on this just yet

Cross Drilled Brakes

Other options

Water Injection

sx fuel filter and regulator

Shorten Throttle Cable

Paint job - this might be done earlier -once the new front bar is on

****Original thought was for hothouse green, now im considering just giving her a fresh coat of red*****

Short Shift

And by the time i get to this stage of the list id be considering an engine rebuild to get performance pistons, cams, flywheel, clutch etc

Edited by Xenadi

Turbo Timer: Apexi Pen style turbo timer

Group A Front Bar and Reo: Contact Terry at roadandtrack about the bar... As for the Reo I dont think they will have them but just check. You never know?

Battery Relocation: PC680 and relocate it in the engine bay so it gives you room for a straight intake.

Radiator: Get a thick core alloy radiator.

Front Mount Intercooler: Go a 600x300 core... 2.5'

If your fairly confident in doing this yourself then have a look where you think your going to run your piping with some PVC pipes and elbows from Bunnings. If your happy with it then take the said PVC pipes to your exhaust shop or mechanic and get them to fab them up. Grab your self some silicone bends and voila!

*You will need an adaptor from the TB to the cold pipe*

Also theres a few 185's running the ST162 side feed intake manifold which in effect would allow you to run the cold pipe away from the zorst manifold. Thats another story...

Bypass/Recirculation Valve: Meh

Boost Controller: Meh

Apexi Power Intake: Im sure there is a kit out there but I dont know the part number. DO NOT get the SW20 MR2 kit... They will not fit.

As for the AFM adapter go to Autobahn/Repco or the like and there is a peice that fits onto the AFM.

I dont have the part number info handy at the moment but I will take a pic for you tomz.

Heatshield: There is no offshelf item I believe but you could possibly mod your stock one and then get it chrome plated..... Meh just get an exhaust manifold then you wont need the sheild...

Aussie Exhaust in 3": Expect to pay abit over 2k

Strut Brace Front and Back: Whiteline or Cusco

Cross Drilled Brakes: DBA slotted rotors

Paint job: Stock or nothing

Short Shift: TRD make a short shift kit

Come to think of it I have alot of the stuff that you may want to use to mod your FOUR... Keep an eye out in the FS section

Good Luck

Is Fuel consumption signifigantly greater using an exhaust manifold?

As for the Aussie Exhaust - yeah i know.

i emailed them to ask what the cost would be to buy a full system + exhaust manifold, doesnt hurt to come straight out and ask for a discount.

Edited by Xenadi

ah cool,

Personally I dont think so but with an exhaust system that would do your head in.

You mean ill do my head of my engine in or do you mean it'll blow my mind the increase in performance?

$1200 for Aussie Tubular Exhaust manifold - nice polished stainless steel look

If you could find me a place that has the Apexi Intake kit you mentioned that would be great, i havent been able to find one.

Edited by Xenadi

It will blow your wallet apart.... You'll chew through the petrol.

I dont know if Apexi still makes the kit.

1.2k for the exhaust manifold only wtf? *drops jaw* I was thinking the ebay one... I think its called Monsta tuned. I know of one Group A that has the ram horn style manifold looks tuff.

so 3" exhaust and exhaust manifold will probably chew through a tonne more fuel?

I use this car everyday, so i really dont want to suddenly increase my fuel use, that given my current fuel consumption is with no cat and a leaking muffler.

I currently have a 3" downpipe and standard 2.5" exhaust and a standard exhaust manifold.

Hope the increase isnt huge, i wouldve thought a slight increase but barely noticable.

Edited by Xenadi

ok, well maybe ill go for a 2.5" replacement (current exhaust is all but screwed) - would just the exhaust manifold make a difference? - love the way the tubular exhaust manifold looks and it'd be nice to either have that or get the standard heat shield chromed

ok, well maybe ill go for a 2.5" replacement (current exhaust is all but screwed) - would just the exhaust manifold make a difference? - love the way the tubular exhaust manifold looks and it'd be nice to either have that or get the standard heat shield chromed

Don't even think of getting an after market manifold if its just for the looks, they do next to nothing unless you are a track racer dude with hardcore supporting mods and tuning.

Also

Once the aftermarket manifold is installed, you can no longer use you top mount anymore, the manifold is simply to big and the intercooler itself will be resting on the manifold and the intercooler inlets dont line up with the turbo and throttle body adapter.

This means that, you'll HAVE to relocate your battery and change to a front mount intercooler set up even if its not what you are after.

Stick with the heat shield chroming idea, I reckon that looks mint!!

Edited by Jasia

This means that, you'll have to relocate your battery and change to a front mount intercooler set up.

The labour costs involved would have consumed all of your limbs by this point.

Theres alot to think about when modding a GT4 as I have experienced and learnt. The main thing that stands out for our engine bays is there is not alot of space, infact theres sweet fanny adams.

So you say you want to go POD:

If you just replace the pod with say an HKS mushroom filter then you risk copping alot of heatsoak. You'll get a sweet as suction sound but at what cost? Im sure you may of heard that they're made of paper elements and getting paper sucked into your engine is bad news.

So you consider enclosing the pod:

The way our intakes are designed they are shaped in an 'S' figure if you will and they run behind the battery. So now we are wedged in between the strut tower and battery. Theres is now no room at all for some DIY box making. So what do I suggest?

a) relocate the battery to the boot or B) relocate it in the engine bay or c) throw out existing battery and get an Odyyssey PC680MJ. You will be left with alot more room.

Also our cars run AFM so If you decide any of the above you could possibly make a straight intake and have room for the stupid AFM and pod.

If you want a kit, Apexi make one for the ST185's but dont get the one for the SW20 MR2's. We might run the same engine but the way they're designed they just wont fit our cars at all.

Now for FMIC... Again not much space to work with in relations to the front bar and standard reo. You will have to decide If you want to risk you and your passengers safety and hack the reo to get a bif f*** off cooler fit in. Im talking 600x300. You can fit smaller coolers on our car without hacking but I cbf looking for the threads. Also I would advise to clock the turbo and run your hot pipes directly under to the cooler.

If you want to do it the proper no hack job way get yourself a Group A Reo bar and front bumper. This will free up heaps of room.

Now for zorst I would highly recommend you get an Aussie Exhaust. They cost a pretty penny but from what I have heard they are the bees knees. They give you the full kit from turbo back in 3''.

Thats all I can think of now and I will try to fill in other things when I come to think of it.

Cheers

Luke

Ok i got a quote back from Aussie Exhaust, $2500 for the exhaust system(without the exhaust manifold)

Also got a quote from a reputable local exhaust place - only $1200 for the same system (a few mates have recommended them)

I also spoke to Terry at Road and Track, its $450 for the front bar. And $500 (ex Japan) for the Reo.

And thats no guarantee that the reo will even line up etc - might need some modification.

Has anyone fitted the Reo from a group a?

After hours on the phone to a tonne of places i finally tracked down a possible power steering pump that apparently will fit ( its from a camry/corolla)

The guy is going to mail to me and if it matches up ill use it, otherwise...

Does anyone have a st185 power steering pump for sale?

Next update should be after i get the power steering pump (plus my drive belt and timing belt ) done.

Ill take a few shots of how she looks and put them up in the next few days.

Edited by Xenadi

Ok i got a quote back from Aussie Exhaust, $2500 for the exhaust system(without the exhaust manifold)

Also got a quote from a reputable local exhaust place - only $1200 for the same system (a few mates have recommended them)

Aussie ftw that is all...

I also spoke to Terry at Road and Track, its $450 for the front bar. And $500 (ex Japan) for the Reo.

And thats no guarantee that the reo will even line up etc - might need some modification.

Has anyone fitted the Reo from a group a?

Holy sh*t thats cheap, I paid $600 for each item bout two years ago but the only thing is you have to get the bar painted.

Im 110% confident that the reo will line up no worries. I have fitted both reo and bar to MRFOUR and the only thing I cant get right is the black carbon fibre strip but meh other wise im very happy.

You will not need to modify the reo what so ever. This is what it looks like fitted.

DSC04305.jpg

Heres the gap you can see with the black carbon fibre strip. It should be less of a gap but other than that it looks shmick.

DSC04092-1.jpg

As for the PS pump problem Im not to knowledgable in that feild but I have one. Its stuffed but you can have it for the price of postage. Maybe you can recondition it I dont know???

Cheers

Luke

edit: you dont need to take the side panels off for any of this. I was replacing the two sides from a parking incident ages ago.

Edited by Silly-Karr

I cant see those pics, can u upload them to the forum instead of photo bucket.

As for the power steering pump, im expecting the pump in the morning so ill see if this one matches.

If i go for the new front bar i think id just get my whole car painted at the same time.

My hood looks shocking becuase its all faded.

Now im stuck with the whole standard colour vs a new colour.

and also if i should just go for a group a front bar or a full kit.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

OK,

i got the power steering pump done, got the engine reconditioned and the turbo is being reconditioned in the next week or so.

Then its time for the suspension.

As promised ill try to put some pics up, work been keeping me a little too busy.

• 1 month later...

Ok,

long time since last update.

ive got some TRD coilovers coming ex japan in the next 3 weeks ($2200 inc fitting)

also got new control bushes being installed ($600 inc fitting)

and slotted rotors going in at the same time (cant remember this price)

following this,

engine rebuild (lower profile pistions, hks adjustable cam's etc, larger turbo compressor wheel, lightweight flywheel, heavy duty clutch etc etc etc) $6600 2 weeks needed (few months saving needed before this)

3" Aussie Exhaust being fitted (except the downpipe) while the engine is out.

got a quote back to get my car painted, $12000 to take it back to metal and repaint (i know i should expect around this price, but omfg. probably looking at a nice bodykit with it + roofscoop) thats far too much of my income at the momment. (lots of saving needed here) if not ill buy another gt4 with decent paint and swap engines ^_^

Probably be a long time until the next update following the suspension + brakes (a whole tonne of money needed)