Steering Wheel buttons

JIN

I just installed my unit today and everything works fine including steering wheel DISP button.

The unit I purchased is the same as this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Camry-CAR-DVD-B...id=p3286.c0.m14

I did not purchased from this shop, I just use their photos as I am too lazy to uninstall my unit out to photos. I am not as handy as DJKOR and it took me half a day to install it. The 'Steering wheel control line' I used looks the same as the wiring harness DJKOR posted, please confirm. So I have no idea why my steering wheel buttons are working but yours don't. You sure you plugged the steering wheel control line into the black cable behind the unit?

I purchased my unit from here, at AUD695 shipping included. It was when AUD was high.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-CAMRY-AURION...bayphotohosting

Edited by Kmg

The only ones of us here reporting about the steering wheel buttons not working are those with a generic aftermarket unit. When I say generic, I mean ones that are made to fit any car using the DIN standard. My steering wheel buttons work fine, as do all the others here that have the Auspack unit which is the same one that you have. Sorry for any confusion. Aftermarket can be a pretty broad term.

Hi guys.

I installed the aftermarket head unit couple of weeks ago and the display button is working fine.

Like DJKOR said I took the board off from the factory headunit.

It is a bit bigger than I thought (pretty same size as the main fuse box cover), so it was pretty hard to hide.

I actually had to sacrifice the radio becos the display button plug itself doesn't work alone but it works fine when I put another plug with into the board.

For example, DP(display button) plug+antnna plug or DP+one of the speaker set plug(I actually left all the original plugs just in case).

Wired...

When I made a combination with speaker plug, it made bad noise from the speakers so I put the antenna plug with it.

I wrapped the board up into the anti-static bag after putting the two plugs into the board, and I hid the board underneath of steering wheel.

It was a bit tight to hide into that place but accidentally(?) it fitted. :rolleyes:

To sum up, the aftermarket headunit and the display button work fine and I am happy with it.

It really made me tired and was a hard job for me tho.

Anyway Thanks to DJKOR. :clap:

Hi guys.

I installed the aftermarket head unit couple of weeks ago and the display button is working fine.

It is a bit bigger than I thought (pretty same size as the main fuse box cover), so it was pretty hard to hide.

I actually had to sacrifice the radio becos the display button plug itself doesn't work alone but it works fine when I put another plug with into the board.

For example, DP(display button) plug+antnna plug or DP+one of the speaker set plug(I actually left all the original plugs just in case).

Wired...

When I made a combination with speaker plug, it made bad noise from the speakers so I put the antenna plug with it.

I wrapped the board up into the anti-static bag after putting the two plugs into the board, and I hid the board underneath of steering wheel.

It was a bit tight to hide into that place but accidentally(?) it fitted. :rolleyes:

To sum up, the aftermarket headunit and the display button work fine and I am happy with it.

Probably too late now since it all all back together (I understand not everyone can take their stereo out in under 2 minutes), but all you need to have plugged in is the steering wheel control harness. It would work fine with just that plugged in, plus since the steering wheel control is independent of your head unit, would not cause interference that way. Without seeing your exact setup I can't really make a judgement, but having the original circuit board plugged in parallel with another head unit (power and audio) isn't exactly the best. It may just be a board, but with power applied to it, it has the potential to create interference for your aftermarket head unit. That would explain the noise you had. It may be good now, but anything can happen.

Hi guys.

Wired...

Probably too late now since it all all back together (I understand not everyone can take their stereo out in under 2 minutes), but all you need to have plugged in is the steering wheel control harness. It would work fine with just that plugged in, plus since the steering wheel control is independent of your head unit, would not cause interference that way. Without seeing your exact setup I can't really make a judgement, but having the original circuit board plugged in parallel with another head unit (power and audio) isn't exactly the best. It may just be a board, but with power applied to it, it has the potential to create interference for your aftermarket head unit. That would explain the noise you had. It may be good now, but anything can happen.

Yeah I actually tried just the wheel control harness alone but it didn't work. Wierd...

So I tried to pair with antenna cable and it worked. another Wired....

Also the noise, it only happened for the first time when I tried to pair with speaker connector.

It was the first try to boot my head unit up so I guess it was just about booting up and reset stuffs from the head unit.

The noise wasn't even noticeable tho.

So I changed pair with antenna just in case of making that noise again also I never turned the radio when I had factory unit.

It works fine now without any problems so I am happy. :D

Anyway the idea of putting display circuit into the head unit makes me thiking it is really wired every time I see the factory unit sitting in my garage...

• 11 years later...

Hi All,

I am thankful for this thread even though this is a really OLD, I managed to successfully have the steering wheel control work and display button. 

I am installed a generic android head unit. The display button wouldn't work when the steering wheel control cables is not connected to the headunit. I have connected directly the Pink wire to Ground, Orange and Yellow to either Key1 or Key2. Saved me from forking out a $99 Aerpro steering wheel adapter.

The AC controls connected or not wouldn't affect the display button functionality. 

I appreciate the help guys.