Noisy Steering.

Brash

Just wondering does anyone have a whine in there steering approximately 5 mins after driving. ? Thought it may be low on fluids but it looks ok. I asked Toyota when i put the car in for a service they just said take it back to the dealer. Taking it back today see what they find.

There is a customer satisfaction exercise on your model Camry regarding the power steering noises...

Lube the firewall boot at first and re-check the steering for noise...

If it's gone, then no worries...

If it's still there, the steering rack requires replacement...

yeah bud your right new steering rack... Well at least its covered under dealer warranty..

Wonder how much a new one would cost anyways. WEll cars in the shop should get back tomorrow.

Well see how she goes

Hey there,

There was a model of camry always had a problem with steering noise (or groan) ,What year would yours be?

Very rarely on these new models would you have problem with racks or pumps but there have been cases.Wen I was servicing the Toyotas,There was noise reported from turning at slow speeds this was dealt with by dismantling the upper steering housings & give a good dose of lubricants esp the couplings.if ur were under warranty great but if you weren't six hours labour & parts would give you a lil shock.

Congrats if they change the rack free of charge,usually the dealerships would um & arr before making any sort of decisions like that esp if the cost of a rack would start at a grand..

Good luck

Ive got the 2003 model camry sportivo and I have a squeak in the steering and rattling noises that sound like they are coming from the front end somewhere. Its getting looked at tomorrow.

Could this be the steering rack problem too?? Would it rattle??

WEll just picked up my Camry, not a sound from the steering. Feels like im steering a truck though, because they gave me a little tiida to drive around, which the steering was light. Anyways not a cent out of my pocket, Whew

Ive got the 2003 model camry sportivo and I have a squeak in the steering and rattling noises that sound like they are coming from the front end somewhere. Its getting looked at tomorrow.

the squeak is, not the rattle..this might be the pinion seal that needs to be lubricated..the second phase is a bush replacement ..third is a rack replacement

If its a rattle is sounds more like the airbag section..

WEll just picked up my Camry, not a sound from the steering. Feels like im steering a truck though, because they gave me a little tiida to drive around, which the steering was light. Anyways not a cent out of my pocket, Whew

SWWEEEET :P

the squeak is, not the rattle..this might be the pinion seal that needs to be lubricated..the second phase is a bush replacement ..third is a rack replacement

Yep..you are right. The squeak is a pinion seal that needs to be replaced. The rattle is apparently my shocks. :(

Yep..you are right. The squeak is a pinion seal that needs to be replaced. The rattle is apparently my shocks. :(

Your shocks :o howd that happen? just loose or shock damage

Keep us informed..

Your shocks :o howd that happen? just loose or shock damage

Keep us informed..

Not 100% sure yet as I havent had a chance to talk to them in detail as my daughter broke her arm at school the same day and ive been dealing with that, but I am going back to see them tomorrow.

I live in the country and the roads can be a bit rough but we'll see what they have to say. Will let ya know how I go.

Well the squeak I have in the steering wheel is the pinion seal..covered by warranty..my drivers power window motor carked it too...covered by warranty and the problem in the front is the shocks..they didnt say exactly whether they are loose or damaged...just that they are going to replace them for me..also covered by warranty.

Cant even begin to tell you how happy I am that I took out extended warranty. :D B)

How underatted are the extended warranty's hey you think why am i paying this much, when nothing should happen to the car and Bam.....

Your not wrong there. My dad made me take out the extended warranty and i'm sure i recal whinging about the xtra cost. I'm thanking him now tho. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hey just wondering how much is it gonna cost to get your shocks done? and what kind are you getting put in?

Its costing me absolutly nothing. I was stunned at this...my extended warranty is covering them :o So as a result the genuine toyota shocks are goin in.

I was looking at going lower (new shocks and springs) but since I am getting shocks for free I will wait and do it later. :P

Edited by Sweety

• 2 weeks later...

My steering in my Sportivo 2005 made a really loud noise just last week, similar to the sound/whistle produced if you were blowing air over the top of an empty glass bottle, except much amplified; this was when I was reversing out of a parking spot at a shopping center. The noise went away after a few seconds. It hasn't made any other strange noises since, and I don't recall such a loud noise over the 1.5 years I've owned this car.

My previous car was a Holden VH 1982, that had a horrible power steering fluid leak, and a loose belt, so I know quite well what sounds are produced by both those conditions, but this sound was nothing like either.

It doesn't sound like the same problem you're having though, I'm guessing yours is frequent. My last service was 5 months ago, and my car has only done about 45,000k's.

Should I be concerned?

• 4 weeks later...
Find out if the strut hats were replaced or not...

The strut hats werent replaced. Im taking her back in next week hopefully for another going over.

Plus they changed the pinion seal in the steering wheel but its still squeeking exactly the same as before. They'll be looking at that again.

Anybody got any idea what the squeek could be??? :(