"Check VSC System"

peter g

Hi all,

I have this strange error coming up on the Display above the radio that reads

"Check your VSC System. Have your vehicle checked by a dealer"

On the dash neumerous lights were displayed also including the triangle with exlamation point light, the engine light, the "VSC OFF" light.

I tried turing the VSC off and back on with that button underneath the steering column but that did nothing as well. So I took the car to a dealer last night who reset something and the error went away. However the error returned again this moning.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any advice? I plan on taking it back to the dealer in a couple of days. I also have some concern about driving it in its current state. Its an inconvenience and im dissapointed in toyota.

The car is a 08 KXR FWD.

Any of the kluger experts advice would be much appreciated.

It sounds like the VDC system has a loose wire somewhere that prevent it functioning. Your concern is warranted since I think now the traction control is off.

I will take it seriously and ask them to check the wirings. I concern those idiots just thought the computer wrongly register a code and barely switch it off for the hope that it will not come back again. It won't! The system check is there for a reason!

Hmmmm... we normally see this happen in Gen 2 Klugers if the battery goes below a certain voltage, exactly the same with message on trip computer screen. Usually happens when the guys are fitting accessories and leave the radio balring/doors open etc. If by any chance, are you allowing the vehicle to sit for ages with doors open and key on "on" or "acc"?

just a basic but check that all your tyre pressures are the same. I know with any driveline related issue this is critical. I assume by the age of the car all your tyres are still original and the same wear amount?

Good thought and tyres should be inflatted and check routinely anyway.

Most sports car with traction control have modified their thread and size to even stackered set up (with front and rear in different wheel offset size etc). No issue in terms of error code, but just different drive.

Get it checked again as it could be a faulty unit. If the lights are on the dash, it means it aint working and that cannot be good.

I havent even had the light come on in day to day driving, but the 4wd makes it so grippy. Cant wait to go offroad.

Was fixing my sport car which also has traction control.

Does the engine light on as well? There are many causes from throttle (in my case today in my Mazda), or steering (as my case after throttle is done <_<).

Or it could be as simple as a loose connection though.

Edited by Taka

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

We had exactly this fault on our Grand AWD at 400km (almost brand new). We took it back to the dealer (twice) and they found after an hour that a vacuum hose was "incorrectly fitted" in the engine bay (a leak basically). The problem on the Toyota T2 diagnostic hand-held machine also showed an exhaust o2 (oxygen) sensor problem - caused by the vacuum hose affecting the fuel/air mix - nothing to do with the exhaust at all. Take your Kluger straight in and ask your service guys to phone the service guy Mark at Toyota in Frankston and ask his team what they found on ours. It could save them a lot of time an get you happy again. Glad to be of help.

LC.

I had this come up after I played around with one solenoid under the engine bay lol while engine was idling .. it ****ted me so I drove down to dealer and he did the following procedure to get rid of the error.

*trying to remember*

You start the car and while stationary (foot on brake)

Put it in sport and cycle up and down through the gears from 1 to 5, then put it back in Park and turn the engine off... it goes something like that, and it removes the "***** you off error" if it comes back after that then it needs to be checked out further. I am not sure how many times you have to do it but it goes something like that anyway.

• 3 years later...

Just for the record,

We've just had the exact same fault on our 2008 KX-S AWD. Warning lights came on a couple of months ago, reset by dealer, who said it was a one off glitch. Then last week the lights lit up again. The dealer has replaced the O2 sensor (after initially diagnosing a bad earth on the sensor, and cleaning the contacts, then the fault re-occured). It seems ok now, so hopefully that is the end of the problem.

Very happy with the dealer response (CMI Toyota_Adelaide)

Anyone else had this fault?

From my knowledge, not sure.

Toyota use a device called techsmith to reset the VSC calibrations for the VSC sensors.

I think you might have a faulty VSC sensor or something is loose.

Another reason is your ECU, there are few cables related to VSC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Yep I've had the Check VSC warning on my 2008 Grande, and was a failed oxy sensor. Toyota dealer reset the computer whilst waiting for the part on order to come in, and it did clear it for a day or so, but it came back. the failed oxy sensor in mine was definitely caused by dodgy fuel that I filled up down in the bellarine peninsular (100% certain of that). First time ever in 50000+ kms that I'd filled up at a no name brand servo and bought the cheapest fuel, and then traveled a good 100kms - and had the best fuel economy ever - running lean!!!. Very next morning the VSC error popped up. Cost ~380 to replace and it fixed the problem.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm... we normally see this happen in Gen 2 Klugers if the battery goes below a certain voltage, exactly the same with message on trip computer screen. Usually happens when the guys are fitting accessories and leave the radio balring/doors open etc. If by any chance, are you allowing the vehicle to sit for ages with doors open and key on "on" or "acc"?

This is EXACTLY what happened to me yesterday. Even after I trickle charged

the battery overnight, the error remained. I then disconnected the battery for 15 minutes before reconnecting it. Voila! Error resolved.

• 2 years later...

This is also happening to me on my 2008 Grande. I have had my Oxy sensors cleaned, also my mechanic has also reset the code on several occasions. He told me that the system is registering that I have put in dodgy fuel, I only put in 95 or 98 Octane fuel and only from services stations whom have recently renovated their fuel tanks (all of the 7-11 fuel stations in our area have upgraded their stations).

I have had this issue for the last 6 months, and am getting sick of constantly going to the mechanic to "get the problem fixed".

Is it recommended that I also replace my Oxy filter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.