Air intake mods

ELEGNT

I splurged out and bought the K&N drop in filter today from the US. Hope it helps! Also, DJKOR's recommendation about swapping over the vacuum hoses connected to the air intake actuator does actually work quite well. I can definetely hear the supercharger's whine at lower revs than with the valve closed at lower RPMs.

I splurged out and bought the K&N drop in filter today from the US. Hope it helps! Also, DJKOR's recommendation about swapping over the vacuum hoses connected to the air intake actuator does actually work quite well. I can definetely hear the supercharger's whine at lower revs than with the valve closed at lower RPMs.

From US? Can't you get it from one of the local suppliers here - Repco, Autobarn etc.?

Yeah, i've read about swapping the vacuum hoses and removing the resonator but looks too complicated for me. And i wouldn't dare try it unless someone was supervising me ;)

How long is it going to take from the US?

Update us on how it goes :)

I think the K&T one has only one downfall.. its right near the engine. It might take in too much hot air, But that might be just me...

I think he means he is getting the K&N replacement filter, so the intake is stock but just a new filter, not the SRI in the pictures above.

Im still kind of keen to get the SRI... :huh:

I think the K&T one has only one downfall.. its right near the engine. It might take in too much hot air, But that might be just me...

As apg39 said, he was reffering to the direct filter replacement that replaces the woven fibre one. You can check it out here:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2326

As am I. Had one on my old ride and it sounded sweet. I'm trying hard to steer away from it by telling myself that the oiled filter will dirty up the intake, but once others start doing stuff to their car, I don't want to be left behind you know.

As am I. Had one on my old ride and it sounded sweet. I'm trying hard to steer away from it by telling myself that the oiled filter will dirty up the intake, but once others start doing stuff to their car, I don't want to be left behind you know.

Im in a weird frame of mind with it...Ill look at it & be all yeah I want to get it then Ill look up more info and be all hmmm maybe, might just get the drop in at the end I end up thinking nah, would be better off with just the drop in.

And that cycle repeats at least once a month...... :huh:

Im in a weird frame of mind with it...Ill look at it & be all yeah I want to get it then Ill look up more info and be all hmmm maybe, might just get the drop in at the end I end up thinking nah, would be better off with just the drop in.

And that cycle repeats at least once a month...... :huh:

Best solution to that problem... just put the money down and buy it. Usually works for me, doesn't quite help my budget.

I have a constant issue with mine in that I will stand there and look at the car (or even sit in it) and spend several minutes analysing everything on and around it, even if I have already done that before. Then I will say to myself, 'what can I do to this car'. This happens at least once a week.

On a side note though while on the intake topic, I just had a thought. There will be a couple of things happening with my car over the next few weeks. I'm not going to go into the specifics right now, but for the last month or so after bypassing my intake valve, I've had a vacuum switching valve (which activates at highway speeds) that is no longer in use. I've circled it in red below:

04qj6.th.jpg

So I figured, instead of putting this circuit to waste, I would replace the vaccum valve with a relay and I can activate anything electronic when at highway speed. There is quite some room for design there. I think I've got a plan that may work. I think I'll need to keep it secret though.

Edit: Every bit of my exhaust is staying just where it is. After all that effort to change my tips, I'm not going to bother changing my mufflers.

hey guys, finding these 2 parts the SRI / n 33-2326 drop in filter has been a PAIN in da BUTTOX

SRI the 69-smtinTS or wateva was guna cost me $900 AUS ok AUS...n 3 months wait for shipment from repco...so obviously skrew dat

than i went bak to repco for the drop in filter 33-2326...same crap but no quotation this time (didn't think i could take another hit) but

same amount period of wait 3 months...so i went to the k&n.com.au something along those lines and found heaps of local dealers so i called up one

Autopro canningvale was meant to gif me a quote yesterday..still nothing today but wen i called in, it was on a sunday n he was prety confident that

he could get me that part by this tuesday (today)...wheres the cALL!!! :( owell i'll call him back.

So I figured, instead of putting this circuit to waste, I would replace the vaccum valve with a relay and I can activate anything electronic when at highway speed. There is quite some room for design there. I think I've got a plan that may work. I think I'll need to keep it secret though.

I have an idea.....PM sent.

Hey is it possible for you to PM where you bought the filter from?

having issues finding people willing to ship for any reasonable price.

best i can find is $45us for the filter + $46us postage, were you able to find anywhere with a better postage price?

thanks

Hey is it possible for you to PM where you bought the filter from?

having issues finding people willing to ship for any reasonable price.

best i can find is $45us for the filter + $46us postage, were you able to find anywhere with a better postage price?

thanks

I paid USD$77.05 including shipping for it from www.autocom.com. That may not be the cheapest option, I didn't spend very long finding the best price, was happy enough to find someone willing to ship to an international address.

Y-tRy - The K&N SRI is quite expensive as it is. You can expect to pay around USD$300. Then add shipping onto that. For stuff like that, don't order through Repco or the likes. They always rip you off for that stuff. The panel filters can also be obtained online for much cheaper as well. If you were to get it from Repco or whatnot, expect to pay between $100-$150. If you get it online though, it can work out so much cheaper. In the long run, the K&N pays itself off over like 2 or 3 re-uses since the stock filters cost $43 direct from Toyota. The performance of oiled filters is questionable though.

For me, I'd rather stick with the stock filter. At least I can be sure that it should never cause any problems. In my car being stock and N/A as it is, I'm sure the extra air flow from the K&N would be of no use.

Pumped - Yeah, shipping is the real PITA when it comes to stuff from overseas. Though USD$46 is quite a bit high to ship a panel filter. I just purchased something from the States <un-named metal item for car> which is of a decent size and weight (shoebox size) and the shipping cost was USD$35 and that's with a guaranteed 5 day delivery (which includes weekends for transport... yay).

TRD Aurion Owner - That is a fairly decent price. With the exchange rate at the moment, it works out well. It will pay itself off in no time.

Y-tRy - The K&N SRI is quite expensive as it is. You can expect to pay around USD$300. Then add shipping onto that. For stuff like that, don't order through Repco or the likes. They always rip you off for that stuff. The panel filters can also be obtained online for much cheaper as well. If you were to get it from Repco or whatnot, expect to pay between $100-$150. If you get it online though, it can work out so much cheaper. In the long run, the K&N pays itself off over like 2 or 3 re-uses since the stock filters cost $43 direct from Toyota. The performance of oiled filters is questionable though.

For me, I'd rather stick with the stock filter. At least I can be sure that it should never cause any problems. In my car being stock and N/A as it is, I'm sure the extra air flow from the K&N would be of no use.

Pumped - Yeah, shipping is the real PITA when it comes to stuff from overseas. Though USD$46 is quite a bit high to ship a panel filter. I just purchased something from the States <un-named metal item for car> which is of a decent size and weight (shoebox size) and the shipping cost was USD$35 and that's with a guaranteed 5 day delivery (which includes weekends for transport... yay).

TRD Aurion Owner - That is a fairly decent price. With the exchange rate at the moment, it works out well. It will pay itself off in no time.

hey DJKOR thanks for your input n just an update on that...Autopro called me back on that day and i've already got my filter...cost me $100 including shipment and it was meant to take a day but recieved it the day after it was meant to arrive but nevertheless its here its in my car n its something to be happy

about for me :P do most aurions haf torque steer...cause i didn't get much till i swap the filter...not bein to excited and all, doubt the filter did much but sure did give a better response from my throtle. still loving that car!! :D

EDIT: btw regarding the swap over with the vacuum hoses, IMO does gif a nice note and also what if u brought ur car to service in that condition will toyota be all meh abt it or would they not even realise it :P cheers

y-Try

Edited by Y-tRy

EDIT: btw regarding the swap over with the vacuum hoses, IMO does gif a nice note and also what if u brought ur car to service in that condition will toyota be all meh abt it or would they not even realise it :P cheers

Funny you mention that. When I brought mine in, Toyota services the car and didn't restore my vacuum hoses back to normal. However TRD Aurion Owner brought his in and they put the hoses back the way they are meant to be and made a comment that they fixed it. I think they blamed the police for doing that since his car was an ex-cop car.

Yeah they were all like "we have no idea what the cops were doing, they swapped a few hoses around but we fixed it for you." I was like

o_rly.jpg

At the next meetup, DJKOR swapped it back for me and now that I know how it's done I'll just switch it back before sending it in.

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

Excellent! Look forward to seeing it.

Can't believe you caught up with us at the cruise. Some of those bends can be a bit tight (it's my first time doing a Nebo run) and I think I gave the car a good workout. I think this is the first time I've fully challenged the cornering and turning of the TRD Aurion - must say I'm quite impressed.

yeah, to be honest, i was surprised that i caught up to you guys as well...

i got a message from jules at about 10ish saying you're leaving the loop soon and i left the valley at about 10:45...

i fuqn love nebo... i really need to get out there more often... :(

but going back to the topic at hand...

the guy that is making my intake has said that if there is interest, he might make a few more...

so the plan is to make mine and see how it goes... if people are interested, then i'll talk to him and he'll make it to order...

i havent looked closely at a normal aurion intake, but if the throttle body is in the same position, then these will fit a normal aurion too...

all i know so far is that its a short 3" pipe with a 5 or 6" bellmouth and a 5 or 6" pod...

so it should sound absolutely INSANE... :D

i've heard a green 1zz with the same sort of intake and well, ummmmmmm...... i'm getting ready to scare old ladies and small children... :lol:

Edited by SecaBoy

the guy that is making my intake has said that if there is interest, he might make a few more...

so the plan is to make mine and see how it goes... if people are interested, then i'll talk to him and he'll make it to order...

i havent looked closely at a normal aurion intake, but if the throttle body is in the same position, then these will fit a normal aurion too...

all i know so far is that its a short 3" pipe with a 5 or 6" bellmouth and a 5 or 6" pod...

so it should sound absolutely INSANE... :D

i've heard a green 1zz with the same sort of intake and well, ummmmmmm...... i'm getting ready to scare old ladies and small children... :lol:

Sounds a little bit like the K&N Typhoon intake, except for the bell mouth bit, pod sits around about where the filter box is now, but comes with a heat sheild.

Make sure there is pictures....

yeah yeah.. there will be pictures and vids as soon as its done... :)

for now, here is the tasty new maf mount for the intake... ;)

aurion_maf_flange_876.jpg

oh and for those that are interested, it'll cost roughly $350... so its not bad when you think the fujita/k&n have to come from america and the delay... :)

Edited by SecaBoy

oh the other thing i have an issue with the fujita intake is that the filter is so close the ground... one puddle and the filter will get wet... no?

i'm always nervous about having a pod so close to the ground... :(

my plan is to do some piping from where the fujita pod is mounted and run it up to where my pod will be sitting (behind the battery)... plus i'll be making a box around it... :)

intake is done...

but it was throwing an error code for the maf sensor... so getting an ex-trd mechanic (now toyota service manager) to look at it.. :P hehe

so for now, its back to the stock intake...

apparently the trd ecu is a LOT more sensitive than the normal aurion... so thats why its not liking it... :(

its okay though, we'll sort something out in the next couple of weeks... :)

in the meantime, here are the pics of the almost finished product...

its getting painted black... :)

snc00020_185.jpg

snc00021_132.jpg

thanks man. although i cant take any credit for it. its all jason aka rollamods' handy work.

stupid trds...... the standard aurion should be fine....

i cant find anyone that has put an intake on a trd before.... :(

nah, i didn't get to drive it... i revd it to about 3000 rpm and it was a lot louder than stock... hopefully jason will find a solution soonish... hehe :D