NA vs Turbo

A few days I met a WRX on a highway in my Allex and I expected it to blow me away but I was able to keep up with it for the most part - the WRX only pulled away slightly and only in the lower rpm's.

Has anyone here in their Sportivo/Runx/Allex/T-sport or whatever battled a WRX or similar and what was the outcome?

What the Subaru's were good for - a compilation i made for a mate who's a Subaru fan ;) ;) ;)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

what the corolla can do to them ;) ;) ;) ;)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

In motorkhanas situations,I've seen light tuned NA 1.6 MX5's line up with fully speced Evo's n Rex's & scalp them with three to six seconds on a short track & I've has a couple of duels (in my rolla) with my lil brother with his track tuned 99 rex on perths back streets & (once in awhile) come up on the good side....not that i condone this sorta behaviour

Depends on the strip your challenging on & most af all whose piloting these cars.

A few days I met a WRX on a highway in my Allex and I expected it to blow me away but I was able to keep up with it for the most part - the WRX only pulled away slightly and only in the lower rpm's.

Has anyone here in their Sportivo/Runx/Allex/T-sport or whatever battled a WRX or similar and what was the outcome?

sh!t driver

a stockish rex doesn't have much top end, takes a long time to get from 180-215. Keep in mind a stock car with 165kw at the flywheel will only lay down ~110kw at all 4 wheels due to the drivetrain loss through the AWD system.

A mildly modded WRX, exhaust, intake, increased boost should easily crap all over the rolla. If this is straight line we are talking about, around a small track is a different story though.

Unless you stuffed a turbo or SC, then thats a different matter.

Recently my car is starting to feel slow again :lol:

a stockish rex doesn't have much top end, takes a long time to get from 180-215. Keep in mind a stock car with 165kw at the flywheel will only lay down ~110kw at all 4 wheels due to the drivetrain loss through the AWD system.

Well that's not my territory cuz I got the jdm one where speedo doesn't go pass 180.

Been there done that so to speak. Plus 200sx's, 180sx's, skylines and a myriad of honda's.

A sportivo with a good driver will surprise a hell of a lot bigger fancied rivals. you may not win but it won't be the runaway you think it will.

i recon with a decent set of coilovers and sruts and swaybars, a corolla sportivo will sure suprise a WRX driver around the bends.

agree

Been there done that so to speak. Plus 200sx's, 180sx's, skylines and a myriad of honda's.

A sportivo with a good driver will surprise a hell of a lot bigger fancied rivals. you may not win but it won't be the runaway you think it will.

and double agree here...

my first time at wakefield/track was about 2 months ago, i suprised the other's there, (was the only toyota there actually) and actually suprised myself on how the car performed and handled that day... :D

Go 2ZZGE power...!

ive got a stock sportivo and alot of boosted cars are surprised..

ive taken on wrx's..and ive left them behind...remember its not a sti..sti would be gone for sure...

by the time the wrx was in third gear...i would be in second and climbing into lift..so yeh..go NA...

mind you that ive owned 2 boosted cars previously...

just my 2 cents worth....

Ok me not being a sportivo having the quickest CURRENT 1zz according to the 1/4mile sheet i have come up against 2 wrx's and both times was side by side up till 3 races in a row with both wrx's 98 model i believe it was both stock had the stock exhaust and u could hear it wasnt modded so being a 1zz i was quite happy half a bonnet in front of him once

SOOOOOO i think that yes sportivo's r fast but my lil ninja will not be that far behind any NA 2zz and so it seems a 99 or so WRX :D :D

edited to save my butt and the butt of this forum

STREET RACING IS FOR DOOSH BAGS :blush:

we do need to watch what we say on this forum because it can incriminate us and ruin the rep of the site which will make our lil TOCAU stickers... targets

Edited by YDOIT4

I had a 'battle' with a Subaru Liberty B4 AWD today. I believe they are 2.0L Twin Turbo?

We were on the high way and I saw him in the distance, so I eventually caught up to him and passed him.

A couple of mins later, a gap had opened up and I saw him speeding up behind me. He tailed real close behind me for a little while.

Then on came his indicator, he dropped back a gear and has sped up reeeaaaal quick beside me.

I thought to myself, 'I'm gonna get drilled here'. But I timed changing back into 3rd perfectly.

His nose had just come level with mine, then lift kicked in and I pulled away. My mate in my car said the look on his face was priceless.

It's a shame I didn't have my exhaust, intake and headers... <_<

Like rollamods said... stock Rexies do not have much top end at all, the whole top mount cooler and standard turbo setup is for response and it makes them great to drive around 'normally'... makes them seem really torquey. They are made more for sprints and narrow tracks, not drag strips. Also there is a fair difference in standard performance between the old EJ20 (? correct me if I got the wrong motor :P) and the newer 2.5L. However as Corolla_sportivo mentioned... a WRX that is even slightly modified will effortlessly wave goodbye to pretty much any N/A 1zz/2zz.

It is not fair to compare forced induction vehicles unless you are talking stock for stock in which case you really see the credit that is due for motors like the 2zz and various Honda productions that favour screaming RPMs to deliver power equal to that of mild forced induction. However you aslo have to keep in mind that all turbo and s/ced cars that come out these days are 'detuned' to buggery for emissions reasons and N/A screamers are seemingly more 'highly strung' comparitively. As such you will get much more out of modifications done to the turbo car than you would the N/A. Basically I am saying that you just need to take each car for what it is and you can really only compare cars of similar classes if you are looking for bragging rights ;)

I got to admit though that my brothers Liberty B4 feels faster then my car, with his car being stock. But what I feel is torque though, and the 2zz obviously has squat all torque if you ask me. Have to take it down the 1/4 one day to find out how slow it is.

well while everyones on the topic, i had a battle today with an exa running an sr20de, standalone ecu, intake and exhaust.. dusted him no problem../ my apoligies this battle was on a strip

Edited by AZA51

Guys if are wanting to talk about street racing then use msn as this forum isn't the place to do it. No problems if you are talking about track/strip but TOCAU does not support street racing in any form.