exhaust sound

black turkey

hey everyone, i have decided that im sick of the the sound my camry coupe... i mean celica makes. its got the bone stock exhaust with a camry exhaust manifold (long story). so it sounds like *****.

im not after a really loud annoying sound that u find on hyundai excels (you know the one).

what im after is a nice low sound with a little bit of a rumble. like a sporty sound.

i was thinking about getting a set of extractors and running bigger pipes the whole way through. but what should i do about the muffler, would i get what i want by leaving it stock (with the bigger pipes and extractors) or would that defeat teh purpose of what i did.

i really have no idea what i need to do here. im also all ears for suggestions on what do to.

also would the way i said be very expensive?

sorry about how awkwardly worded it is.

to a degree, but if you go too big you will end up with that farting sound that you hear lancers/excels/other ****boxes with huge cannons on them make.

Extractors will help improve performance, but wont change the sound a great deal

I would say 3in is a bit big.

2-2.5in would probably do it for you. Don't keep the stock muffler, get an aftermarket one.

But dont get some cheap $100 cannon from supercheap, If you want a nice sound, spend the coin on a decent muffler.

As for the extractors, couple it with a decent intake system and you will feel a difference.

Edited by mick.wheelz

well i am planning on getting a K&N filter on it, and after that when i decide to i could just get some piping made to make it get cold air somewhere, i cant htink of any place wher ei can make it go though, its too tight in the engine bay

The K&N will help.

as for CAI, you will probably need to relocate your battery and such

• 3 weeks later...

Get decent 4-2-1 headers, a nice high-flowing cat and then 2.25" cat back to a decent exhaust (stay away from cannons). If it's too loud for you, add a hot-dog resonator between the cat and muffler.

If you can afford it, have your headers ceramic coated (will look a million bucks and not rust) and the rest of your exhaust made in stainless steel.

• 3 weeks later...