Alternative 19" tyres for KX-S and Grande Kluger

holmesie

Yeah, it's a trap if you don't know about it - the odometer apparently reads pretty close to spot-on, but not the speedo - go figure!!!

Cheers

Thanks Andrew.

Just a bit off topic if you don't mind. I would like to get some sort of GPS to verify the actually traveling speed. What sort of GPS do I need for that? Is GPS same thing as those Sat Nav that fixed to the windscreen? Would it tell you the traveling speed?

Thanks.

Yep they are they ones! Or compatible phone or PDA will do the trick

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had these on our previous RAV, obviously as a 16 inch, they were OK. although I felt that the Bridgies from factory were better. For what its worth I think I paid $150 each at the time and that was about 3 years ago.

I notice that the ones for our Freddies 255/55 (upsize) are V rated so I guess there will be a premium attached as a result.

I'm 50K done and my Bridgestones need replacing with less then 1mm -

Has anyone tried a 255/55?

I'm very close to going Yokos in this size as I really don't want to replace w/ the origional OEM Bridgestones in the 245/55

I'm very close to going Yokos in this size as I really don't want to replace w/ the origional OEM Bridgestones in the 245/55

255/55 should be fine, but you would want to replace the spare with the same size; you don't want to have a different diametre tyre on 1 corner of the car.

I assume you have rotated the tyres, including the spare, to get 50000 km out of your originals.

255/55 should be fine, but you would want to replace the spare with the same size; you don't want to have a different diametre tyre on 1 corner of the car.

I assume you have rotated the tyres, including the spare, to get 50000 km out of your originals.

Sure have. Every 10K full rotation, including spare! Mind you, I'm doing consistent freeway driving. Gosford to Sydney return, every day of the wk.

I'm going to put the yoko tyres on tomorrow. 255/55

Sure have. Every 10K full rotation, including spare! Mind you, I'm doing consistent freeway driving. Gosford to Sydney return, every day of the wk.

I'm going to put the yoko tyres on tomorrow. 255/55

Are they the Advan ST?

How much?

Also, according to the Kluger manual, rotation should be done every 5000km for AWD and every 10000km for FWD.

I am doing both of mine, AWD and FWD, every 5000km and rotating the spare as well.

• 4 months later...
Make sure you post up pics luk3y please!

Yep Post up Please... hit 30k and was told only another 5k left till replacement required

I want to know if the 255 fit ok? If they do Im going with Advans I got 45000+Kms out of the one on my Subaru

Edited by PC XT

u_5286768631363.jpg

I've just found this on the chinese auto website......Apparently, the Chinese made Highlander comes along with Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 in 245/55r19.......I was looking around the internet and I can't find anything about it........

• 1 month later...

All

Found and interesting link from ConsumerReports.org in the USA complaining about the lack of choice with the OEM tyre size:

Toyota Highlander: Hard to choose a good replacement tire

It includes a good video report on the 2008 Highlander as well.

It says the Toyo Open Country H/T placed just 15th out of 20 models in consumer reviews.

OPEN COUNTRY H/T

Maybe going to 255/55 is the better option.

Kind regards

Hado

• 2 months later...
The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is the best rated tyre on tirerack in the 255/55 range:

Tirerack.com Dueler Alenza rating

I think this is called the Dueler D683 H/L in Australia.

But it is not supplied in the 255/55 R19 size in Australia :(

I got them from TireRack. They are pretty fast shipping so I just order 4. Finger cross. Will report.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 35000Kms I have got new stock Bridgstone Tyres again these are made in the USA unlike the originals that were made in Japan

The Yokies ST's were about $75.00 per corner more and I was not keen to be the Gini Pig.... Sorry guys

If your in Sydney Talk to Zack at Bob Jane @ Peakhurst he was way cheaper than the other stealers....and he threw in some Nitrogen to boot, we will see if its any better with a new ALL WHEEL Alignment and funny gas, fuel economy and longevity compared to the last set of boots :o

The Wife is Very happy with them, that is the main thing it feels better and she doesn't have to check the Tyre Pressure, not that she does any way :rolleyes:

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...
Good stuff mate - will be looking myself soon

Were you at Orange Macas today? If not you cars twin was with a High gain UHF antenna on the Nudge bar

The new Tyres have made a huge difference on the handling more so than the Lighter Subaru

Yes, that was most probably ours - Wife & kids were over there doing some last-minute Chritsmas stuff. What are you doing in this neck of the woods mate?!

Just had our 40,000km service done, and the tyres still have a few mm of tread before they're at the indicators. Hoping to push them out to sometime in the New Year

Edited by holmesie

Yes, that was most probably ours - Wife & kids were over there doing some last-minute Chritsmas stuff. What are you doing in this neck of the woods mate?!

Just had our 40,000km service done, and the tyres still have a few mm of tread before they're at the indicators. Hoping to push them out to sometime in the New Year

Returning from Dubbo had lunch in the main drag Park dont miss a beat and you cant hide mate! :spiteful:

• 3 months later...

Picked up the vehicle form a service yesterday and was told the spare couldn't be included in the tyre rotation as it was bald :o 20,000km out of a tyre! Absolute BS :angry:

Hey Holmesie,

What yres did you go with??? I don't need tyres for some time but i also have the 19's,and was interested in this post...............As you Quoted in the beginning there seems only a selct few to choose from. :(

Anyone looked at the Goodyear Wrangler HP AW ? Could be a possibilty, depending on price

WranglerHP_AW%20200x200%20.jpg

Holmesie,

I've only got a few thousand kms left in the original Bridgestone tyres (done 33000km) so I'm doing some research now, just in case.... I don't like making decisions under pressure ;)

My brother-in-law works from a tyre retailer and he has suggested the Goodyear HP AW, he said RRP is $525. Of course there would be room to negotiate on this, just thought I'd post the info so others have a "measure" to start from. These tyres are 255/55/19 111V.

I've been offered the tyres at a greatly reduced price from RRP but still want to make sure I get the right thing rather than something that is just cheap and opportunistic.... not everything that falls into your lap is a pleasurable experience :rolleyes:

I've started a spreadsheet. It took me 6 weeks to research the purchase of the Kluger so I'm going to spend some time looking at tyres too. This is a real step up from my previous car, the Commodore had so many options and you could start sub $100 and fly to the moon.... the Kluger is already at the moon and has kept going :o

The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is the best rated tyre on tirerack in the 255/55 range:

Tirerack.com Dueler Alenza rating

I think this is called the Dueler D683 H/L in Australia.

But it is not supplied in the 255/55 R19 size in Australia :(

I got them from TireRack. They are pretty fast shipping so I just order 4. Finger cross. Will report.

Taka,

Surely these have arrived by now, what are they like? Did you get slapped with import/customs duty purchasing these? What was the cost of shipping?

As i read the posts around this forum on tyres for the KXS, i read people getting a life of 33k, 40k, or 20 k from thier OEM tyres . I assume all australian Klugers come with the bridgestone D400 on each corner.

Now i'm not trying to brag here but my october 2008 KXS is at 53k with another 5 k to go. I don't hink i do anything special, just driving on the M1 exit 41 to gateway bridge every day. trips to gladstone, moree, Gunadah, coffs harbour etc.

however i do have to make decsion soon and i would love to hear from Paulg on his current feelings on the Toyo or luk3y on the Yoko's

hope someone can give thier current feelings on a tyre other than Bridgestone. which by the way has ben a good tyre.