Alternative 19" tyres for KX-S and Grande Kluger

holmesie

I've only got a few thousand kms left in the original Bridgestone tyres (done 33000km) so I'm doing some research now, just in case.... I don't like making decisions under pressure ;)

I've started a spreadsheet.

With 36,000km on the odo, I too am facing the imminent prospect of replacing tyres ... but so far, the only other tyre available locally in 245/55R19 seems to be the Toyo. I guess there are also a couple of choices of 255/55R19 ... but I would prefer to stick with original size.

With the amount of advertising Cooper Tyres are currently doing on our local TV showing the benefit of their tyres for Toyota Prado and Rav4, I feel like starting a petition to them to say "how about doing a tyre for the Kluger KX-S/Grande!"

Good luck with your research ... keep us posted.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just checked my spare and discovered that it's brand new, unused with the tell-tail coloured paint on the tread huh.gif So this means that the original owner never performed a tyre rotation, somewhat silly methinks. I've got 4 tyres rapidly approaching EOL with just a few mm before the depth wear indicator it met... and a brand new Bridgestone original strapped to the underbody. Has anyone just replaced two tyres for the front? I'm sort of considering buying one more Bridgestone to add to the front, move the current unused spare to the front as well giving me two new Bridgestones... this also allows me to move one of the 34,000km Bridgestones to the spare position and keep one at home as a second spare.... Future tyre rotations would mean front moved between left and right, rear could include rotation of spare and also second "at home spare". Am I kidding myself and I should just prepare for the mega purchase of 4 or 5 newies... or can this strange rotation scheme actually work?

Edited by whofan

Just a bit off topic if you don't mind. I would like to get some sort of GPS to verify the actually travelling speed. What sort of GPS do I need for that? Is GPS same thing as those Sat Nav that fixed to the windscreen? Would it tell you the travelling speed?

Thanks.

Most of the GPS units like Garmin would give you that. But really any mobile phones with GPS will do estimate ok in a constant speed - like in cruise control mode. Most phone and GPS units does 1 Hz (1 intake of data per second).

Edited by Taka

The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is the best rated tyre on tirerack in the 255/55 range:

Tirerack.com Dueler Alenza rating

I think this is called the Dueler D683 H/L in Australia.

But it is not supplied in the 255/55 R19 size in Australia :(

Just been checking the tirerack site and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza currently has an overall reviewer rating of 8.48 (~880 reviews).

However, the Pirelli Scorpion ATR has an overall rating of 8.7 (from ~440 reviews). JaxQuickfit quoted $485 per tyre (although none in stock).

Current price on Bridgestone Dueler H/L400 (OEM tyres) has come down to $469 per tyre (still way too high for what you get IMO). Anyone know of a better price for these?

If choice is between OEM tyre and Pirelli, I am tempted to go the Pirelli (extra 4/32" tread, longer wearing [uTQG530 vs UTQG400]). Any thoughts welcomed.

Edited by mdv

The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza is the best rated tyre on tirerack in the 255/55 range:

But it is not supplied in the 255/55 R19 size in Australia sad.gif

Just been checking the tirerack site and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza currently has an overall reviewer rating of 8.48 (~880 reviews).

However, the Pirelli Scorpion ATR has an overall rating of 8.7 (from ~440 reviews). JaxQuickfit quoted $485 per tyre (although none in stock).

Current price on Bridgestone Dueler H/L400 (OEM tyres) has come down to $469 per tyre (still way too high for what you get IMO). Anyone know of a better price for these?

If choice is between OEM tyre and Pirelli, I am tempted to go the Pirelli (extra 4/32" tread, longer wearing [uTQG530 vs UTQG400]). Any thoughts welcomed.

I don't pretend to be a tyre expert, far from it really... tyre noob would be more appropriate biggrin.gif

I just took a quick look at the Pirelli website and the ATR tyres appear to be aimed more at all terrain meaning a mixture of on and off-road.

The Scorpion Zero is a pure on-road tyre and so if you don't get off the bitumen it may be worth considering.

post-17976-127106933536_thumb.jpg

Both are 255/55/19, slightly larger than the stock tyre.

I suspect that off-road tyres (like the ATR) are made of harder compounds for longer wear over more uneven surfaces so may be a little too stiff on bitumen resulting in a harsher, noiser ride?

As stated above, happy to be proven wrong.

I just took a quick look at the Pirelli website and the ATR tyres appear to be aimed more at all terrain meaning a mixture of on and off-road.

Yep, that's correct. However, I regularly take my Kluger off the bitumen, exploring places and tracks that 'soccer mums' perhaps would not contemplate ... and where the Bridgestone H/L400 doesn't 'pass muster'.

But I also read (from the US tirerack site) that the Pirelli ATR is pretty good on the bitumen too (as long as there is not too much snow ... not likely to ever be a problem in my case) - I get the sense the Scorpion Zero is perhaps more suited to those SUVs that like to go very fast on bitumen but never venture off the bitumen.

• 1 month later...

Found out today that Bob Jane T-marts can do a Maxxis MA-S2 in 255/50R19 for $305each. Looks like a very good possibility as a replacement for the D400's, although the rolling diameter could make the speedo error worse. I need to get the exact diameter from the tyre specs and compare it with the D400 before I get too excited.

MA-S2.jpg

Looks like a very good possibility as a replacement for the D400's, although the rolling diameter could make the speedo error worse. I need to get the exact diameter from the tyre specs and compare it with the D400 before I get too excited.

From my rudimentary research:

245/55R19 (D400) has a diameter of 752mm ... and we all know/suspect speedo reads a bit high with these (116kph speedo for 110kph actual).

I believe 255/55R19 (with a diameter of 762mm) would correct speedo error.

However, 255/50R19 (with a smaller yet diameter of 737.4mm) would make speedo error even worse ...

BTW, the Pirelli Scorpion ATR I mentioned in my previous post on this thread is currently not available in Aust (or anywhere by the looks of it) ... so I went with the Toyo Open Country.

Hi all,

I found this on another post

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

it's a pretty good calculator that gives you the difference in diameter and estimates the impact on the speedo.

I'm not saying it's 100% accurate, but it gives you a pretty good idea.

- Calichin

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not needing tyres yet, but was a little concerned to see how few tyres are available in 245/55R19 with the correct load and speed rating. I know in NSW it's allowable to have a lower speed rated tyre fitted, but it must have the same or higher load rating.

In slightly larger 255/55R19 sizing there are a few more offerings, such as;

Pirelli Scorpion Zero

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Yokohama Advan ST v802

BFGoodrich G-Force T/A kdw

None of these sound cheap <_<

I'm thinking 255/55's might make a slight improvement on the speedo error too. Anyone got any thoughts, or experience with 19" tyres on their Kluger?

Cheers

This came from Michelin when i asked about fitting 255/50 r19

Hi Tony,

The fitment should be OK

The OD doesnt change by more than 15mm, which is the max allowable change in OD by vicroads

However, this will put the speedo out by -1.93%

I dont believe we have a 255/50R19 107V in Latitude sport, we have 4x4 Diamaris and Latitude tour hp.

I would go with the 235/50R19 107V Latitude Tour HP (CAI 177914)

Welcome to the world of limited, super expensive tyre options

But it is not supplied in the 255/55 R19 size in Australia :(

I am happy to report that I had 10000km on this tyres now and they are not wearing out on the outside like the OEM. Traction is good and very quiet. I have it @39 psi and it is still comfortable.

• 1 month later...

I'm 50K done and my Bridgestones need replacing with less then 1mm -

Has anyone tried a 255/55?

I'm very close to going Yokos in this size as I really don't want to replace w/ the origional OEM Bridgestones in the 245/55

Newbie here looking for advice and referals for tyres. I too have done close to 50k on the Bridgies and didn't enjoy them. Found the walls softning and the cabin noise a little high. So I am very close to ordering the Yokos....$480 fitted on vehicle and I am looking at 255/50/19s Can anyone add some advice for a novice?

e

Hi Evana,

There is some information in this thread as well:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19417

Thanks heaps....found this from a review site at here

July 16th, 2009

Pros: Rides good, holds in well

Cons: NOISE!!. Ok on freeway but under 100km/h they are so noisy, especially on corners where side loaded around town

Overall: I like the tyre, its the noise that i don't like. Had a bit of wedging happening on the tread and had to rotate after 5,000km

Such a tough decision cause I don't want to make the wrong one and be stuck for 40k with bad boots....mmm...

Thanks heaps....found this from a review site at here

July 16th, 2009

Pros: Rides good, holds in well

Cons: NOISE!!. Ok on freeway but under 100km/h they are so noisy, especially on corners where side loaded around town

Overall: I like the tyre, its the noise that i don't like. Had a bit of wedging happening on the tread and had to rotate after 5,000km

Such a tough decision cause I don't want to make the wrong one and be stuck for 40k with bad boots....mmm...

I find user tyre reviews to be rather subjective though.

I've just taken delivery of my kluger and I find it really quiet on the stock tyres; although I did have underbody rust protection done and apparently that helps reduce road noise from entering the cabin.

how long did it take you to do 50,000km on your stock tyres?

Just have to bear in mind, by the time you hit 50,000km, the tyres may be 3 or 4 years old and the rubber would have started to harden from UV exposure and heat cycles; they will be a lot noisier than new.

Dont forget guys, you would have to change all 4 tyres at once if changing the rolling diametre as otherwise it will probably cause some sort of problem and if toyota find out you used a non spec tyre, they might not honour your warranty!

As its a 50/50 awd, might need to change spare as well.

Who would like to be the gunnie pig?

I had maxxis and its the best tyre i had for my other car.

I find user tyre reviews to be rather subjective though.

I've just taken delivery of my kluger and I find it really quiet on the stock tyres; although I did have underbody rust protection done and apparently that helps reduce road noise from entering the cabin.

how long did it take you to do 50,000km on your stock tyres?

Just have to bear in mind, by the time you hit 50,000km, the tyres may be 3 or 4 years old and the rubber would have started to harden from UV exposure and heat cycles; they will be a lot noisier than new.

Bought my vehicle brand new in July 08. Had it for exactly 2 years and done near on 50k. All road driving. Bridgies were noisey from the start but worse now.

Hadn't heard about the rust protection so that is interesting. Pirelli is another option I am looking at. Wow I wish this was easier....

Thanks for the imput, I do appreciate it.

e

Hadn't heard about the rust protection so that is interesting. Pirelli is another option I am looking at. Wow I wish this was easier....

Thanks for the imput, I do appreciate it.

e

yeah.. when you have sound deadening installed on a car, they spray a thick black goop on the car's underside and insides of the doors.

When they do underbody rust protection they spray a thick black goop (a different kind of thick black goop) on the car's underside.. so i think it does help a a little bit with shielding road noise; not quite as good proper noise deadening though and not quite as heavy :)

When you really want to believe it Kit. I am very septical on those rust and paint protection stuff. I had it on one or two cars before, not in the last 3 including my BMW. They are all good as new even if I don't look after them. Same as the previous ones with paint protection.

Rust. I have not seen rust as I don't live by the beach. If I do, I would be able to afford to change car every 3 years right? :)

When you really want to believe it Kit. I am very septical on those rust and paint protection stuff. I had it on one or two cars before, not in the last 3 including my BMW. They are all good as new even if I don't look after them. Same as the previous ones with paint protection.

Rust. I have not seen rust as I don't live by the beach. If I do, I would be able to afford to change car every 3 years right? :)

Well, I have never gotten rust protection or paint protection on any of my cars before either as I always thought it was just another way for the dealer to make money. But all my other cars have been strictly 100% road cars too.

I guess the reason why I got it in this case is because there is a transferable lifetime warranty on the stuff and I intend to keep the car for a long time. I also can see myself taking the car camping and possibly driving on the beach. So $400 for the black goopy underbody rust protection is pretty cheap peace of mind I think.

After much deliberation and several visits to a few tyre shops I have finally made my tyre decision.

Tomorrow my baby will be sporting a new set of boots Pirelli Scorpian Zero's 255/55/19s.

Deciding to just bite the bullet and make the decision and this seemed to be the best choice for my type of driving. Watch this space....will let you know.

Interesting to note:

Quotes for the tyres were-

Bridgestone $620 incl GST fitted

Bob Janes $500 incl GST fitted

Nice. Although in Bridgestones defense they did call me back and say "we made an error and those tyres can be purchased and fitted for $500 each" (mmm yup....an error....right)

e

I have put 10000km on my US made Bridgestone Dueler Alenza already. Wear is even. I rotate it 7000km ago and due to have another rotation.

Very happy with the tyres. It will last a lotnlonger than the OEM set by a country mile.

After much deliberation and several visits to a few tyre shops I have finally made my tyre decision.

Tomorrow my baby will be sporting a new set of boots Pirelli Scorpian Zero's 255/55/19s.

Deciding to just bite the bullet and make the decision and this seemed to be the best choice for my type of driving. Watch this space....will let you know.

Interesting to note:

Quotes for the tyres were-

Bridgestone $620 incl GST fitted

Bob Janes $500 incl GST fitted

Nice. Although in Bridgestones defense they did call me back and say "we made an error and those tyres can be purchased and fitted for $500 each" (mmm yup....an error....right)

e

Even $500 each is way too much. My 4 of the Dueler Alenzas landed in Australias for $1200. Fitting + alignment is only $115.