Alternative 19" tyres for KX-S and Grande Kluger

holmesie

Just highlighting the local tyre shop over charging lots. Well they have the middle man to pay for.

I have no shame to buy something from overseas. If they can match price then i will buy it locally for sure. I ain't going to check out how much the Pirelli are overseas right Evana? I am sure they ain't over $2000 landed Inc tax.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I knew where to start with that I would but I don't. I appreciate the help...maybe I should have asked for this overseas buying info first.

As it happens I am still waiting for my vehicle. Truck delivering my tyres to the workshop has broken down. Seems like a bad omen.

E

Why not the ATR but the zero. I think the ero is more sportier tyre but the ATR Pirelli is more for off road and can be noiser.

Cough... The Zero is $230usd @ tyrerack.com. Shipment is usually in the region for$250 for 4.

Why not the ATR but the zero. I think the ero is more sportier tyre but the ATR Pirelli is more for off road and can be noiser.

Cough... The Zero is $230usd @ tyrerack.com. Shipment is usually in the region for$250 for 4.

On tyrerack.com, the ATR outscores the Zero on every criteria. Also quite a few reviews criticising the Zero for treadwear and noise, but mose of the ATR reviews give it high praise.

Yes it is true. But I would like to point out that most of the reviewers are Americans. Not being racists at all here, but people who has been in the international forums for a long time will know that comment from the other sides of the Pacific is generally highly execrated, subjective and tends to pull on one fact and bash it to death. People here are more tolerant and rational - love you guys haha.

But I will say purely looking at the tyre tread. It is unlikely ATR will be quieter than Zero but there is what you think after reading the US reviews.

Yes it is true. But I would like to point out that most of the reviewers are Americans. Not being racists at all here, but people who has been in the international forums for a long time will know that comment from the other sides of the Pacific is generally highly execrated, subjective and tends to pull on one fact and bash it to death. People here are more tolerant and rational - love you guys haha.

But I will say purely looking at the tyre tread. It is unlikely ATR will be quieter than Zero but there is what you think after reading the US reviews.

I agree, generally always take any opinions on the internet with a grain of salt :)

But one thing i believe is that with a tread rating of 400. It will last as long as the OEM ones.

From most reports, just about anything will last longer than the OEM tyres.

It's a pitty that the Scorpion STRs aren't available in a size to fit the kluger, as they look to be about the right balance between on-road and minor off-road performance.

Just thought I would share. 255/55/19s Pirellis are on my vehicle and so far I am thrilled. Much less cabin noise and very light. Will report in as to wear.

E

Evana, great to hear that you have them on and are going well...

Just thought I would share. 255/55/19s Pirellis are on my vehicle and so far I am thrilled. Much less cabin noise and very light. Will report in as to wear.

E

Evana, great to hear that you have them on and are going well...

Hi Evana

Any chance of a couple of pics of new rubber :whistling: Would be cool B) looking at the options as we speak..........

• 1 month later...

I was at the tyre shop on the weekend discussing tyres for my car and mentioned that the wife's Kluger would be up for rubber in another 5,000k's or so. I was told that Hancook will be releasing a tyre in the next few weeks or so in sizing to suit...finaly some more competition for Bridgestone :clap:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have just put the Toyo Open Country H/T 245/55 19s on my Grande this morning. Initial impressions are excellent. Road noise is a lot less than the Bridgestones and hopefully I will get more than 45k out of them!

Huge price differences when ringing around the different companies, eventually picked them up for $396 minus Defcom discount whereas other shops were quoting over $500.

Cheers

Rich

Hi all,

I have just put the Toyo Open Country H/T 245/55 19s on my Grande this morning. Initial impressions are excellent. Road noise is a lot less than the Bridgestones and hopefully I will get more than 45k out of them!

Huge price differences when ringing around the different companies, eventually picked them up for $396 minus Defcom discount whereas other shops were quoting over $500.

Cheers

Rich

I have little doubt you will get many more than 45k out of your Toyos.

I have now done 20k with my Toyos and there is very litle wear. At same stage with Bridgestones, the front wheel outer edges were badly worn - too many roundabouts where I live?? I only managed 38k out of Bridgestones - I am aiming for 60+ k out of Toyos.

I had to repace my tyres at 36,800 k as the edges were badly worn but not the centres. I very regularly checked the pressures in them.

The new Bridgestones have done just under 10,000k and show bad signs of feathering on the edge once again, despite being rotated, balanced and wheel align done at 5,000 k's and due again.

Went back to Bob Jane where I bought them from yesterday and was told that was 'normal' wear and to keep up the rotations etc and that 36,000 k out of my old ones was doing well and the new ones were doing 'well' also despite the feathering edges. So 1 year out of 4 x $400 tyres? 7-8 wheel alignments and balances (every 5,000k) in the lifetime of the tyre adds up to a lot of $$$ or the price of 1 tyre in the 1 yr I expect to get from them.

I asked about the Hankook or Toyos and they advised that I would get even less mileage out of those and that some were only getting 18,000k from them.

Am I just being jerked around here? What are peoples experiences with other tyres after they have done around 10,000 k's or more on them?

Thanks

I had to repace my tyres at 36,800 k as the edges were badly worn but not the centres. I very regularly checked the pressures in them.

The new Bridgestones have done just under 10,000k and show bad signs of feathering on the edge once again, despite being rotated, balanced and wheel align done at 5,000 k's and due again.

Went back to Bob Jane where I bought them from yesterday and was told that was 'normal' wear and to keep up the rotations etc and that 36,000 k out of my old ones was doing well and the new ones were doing 'well' also despite the feathering edges. So 1 year out of 4 x $400 tyres? 7-8 wheel alignments and balances (every 5,000k) in the lifetime of the tyre adds up to a lot of $$$ or the price of 1 tyre in the 1 yr I expect to get from them.

I asked about the Hankook or Toyos and they advised that I would get even less mileage out of those and that some were only getting 18,000k from them.

Am I just being jerked around here? What are peoples experiences with other tyres after they have done around 10,000 k's or more on them?

Thanks

hi cookie

have read quite a lot of posts about poor tire wear

a got my kluger xks @ 20000 km am nearly at 50000 km now on original tyers with no rotations

wear has been fairly even

have just orderd new tires would be hoping to even get more with rotating

i wouldnt accept the "normal waer" line

Would you believe after making the initial post in this thread in Aug 2008, I am still on the original tyres and my Kluger has just clocked over 60,000km. I have rotated all 5 tyres, and they're just about shot now. Not displeased with that mileage

Would you believe after making the initial post in this thread in Aug 2008, I am still on the original tyres and my Kluger has just clocked over 60,000km. I have rotated all 5 tyres, and they're just about shot now. Not displeased with that mileage

Ditto here. Have rotated all 5 tyres since new Feb 2008 and have never done a front-end alignment. Have done about 60,000K most of it towing a caravan which should have accelerated the wear and still have possibly another 5000 -10,000Ks left. Not displeased with the wear considering it is a 2 Tonne motorcar. Having had Bridgestones on most of my cars over the last 20 years, they are normally a long wearing tyre.

Thanks

As per my previous post, I am entirely happy with Toyos after 20,000 km. Attached photo of tyre (currently front right) shows very little wear overall, and edges are holding up much better than Bridgestones. Tread pattern does, however, collect and hold a lot of small stones if driving on gravel roads.

post-11460-008722800 1287816988_thumb.jp

Yeah, but you have an unfair advantage with all that driving on grass (as per your images). :whistling:

• 2 months later...

Found on the bridgestone website that this tyre can have an alternate, which is the Dueler HP Sport, a sportier tyre apparently, which is 265/50/19. Anyone know what the price of these are? They are speed rated Y which is 300ks! lol, the originals can only go 180!

Anyone in the know?

265 might be too wide, no?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, new to this site, have had my 08 Grande for a couple of months now and very happy with it..

I bought the car with Hancock (not sure what model as car is not home at the moment) 255/50's on all corners with about 70% left in the middle and edges are pretty warn.. Not sure how many km's they have done but the road noise is terrible. I first thought my rear end wheel bearings were gone until I had it serviced and they rotated my tyres.. Have also found out and if any is from South Australia that might be interested if looking for a new set of feet, on the standard 19" rims 255/50 tyres are illegal as the profile of the tyre is too small making the OD too small after a small amount of wear.. So now looking for a new set.. Have been told Falken ZE912 which come in a 245/55 with a load and speed rating of 103H would be a good choice at $300 a corner, anyone had any experience with these??

• 2 years later...

Just put on Goodyear efficent grip SUV 19 255 55. Spent a week researching tyres and these come up realy good. Once on the have very deep traction and are very quite. Im no raly driver but they seem to grip better than originals. ONLY cost 300 each.....

• 1 month later...

Just about to put Goodyear efficient grip SUV 19 255 55 on my Kluger as well.

The OEM tyres last 55K - but are badly worn on the edges. If I had got more wheel alignments they might have lasted a little longer.

I will let you know how the Goodyears go.

Kind regards

Hado

• 7 months later...

I have used Bridgestone original spec tyres for my KXS since new the original fitted tyres gave me approximately 70,000K however since then I have been extremely disappointed anywhere between 20/28,000 kms I am an easy driver maintaining consistent speeds and don't accelerate hard.

Tempe Tyres in Sydney had my second set however they didn't last long although @ $278 per tyre it was a good price. They were branded Bridgestone but certainly little mileage.

I got my next set from a Bridgestone dealer at Mascot at $300 per tyre, I'm now up for a rear set as they didn't do the alignment properly and they wore out unevenly.

What now, I have 2 good front tyres but don't wish to remain on Bridgestone, what are my options and yes happy to change to 255/55/19 but having two good 245/55/19's on the front will this cause an issue I can always place the front to back.