HELP!! Baffling bouncy vibrating noise

alloo

Hi everyone,can some one please help me to solve my puzzle and share their experience ???

I have a 93 Celica ST184 which make some kind of vibrating grunting noise.

First at start up it vibrates up through the steering wheel,which become less as the engine warms up but there is still some fine vibration as the engine idles at 800 rpms,it makes feel the cabin drones a bit.

And the engine also vibrates or grunts when you rev it up=> you know like this old MG's,make some kind of sporty noise.

But when I jack up the front end lifting the front wheels then there is almost no noise and the engine just revs nice quietly.

Second,the same vibration/noise happen as you engaged the gear or drive on the road especially if the road a bit rough....its make some kind of bouncy noise....brrr...brrrr,you know similar like when the front bearing starts playing up.

But when I let the car rolling without engaging the gear everything sound smooth,doesn't matter how bumpy the road is.

So the question is what should I replaced??

If someone can share their though or experienced will be much appreciated.

cheers

Edited by alloo

Hey mate,

Both issues might be due to a broken engine mount. I've seen lots of posts of celicas around our vintage with broken mounts, especially the front one. The fact that the noise stops when you jack up the front might support this. I understand it's a fairly straightforward thing to replace, if indeed it is the issue.

The steering wheel generally does vibrate somewhat with 4-cylinder engines. However, for me the vibration is intolerable when the engine's around 900-1000 (eg: with the headlights / air con on) - it vibrates like a jackhammer. I've been told that my engine mounts are fine, so I suspect there's something wrong with the steering column (indeed, the adjustable tilt hardly works, too).

That's all I've got for you right now! I hope you get it all sorted asap.