Who got what size cat back

What size cat back  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whats the difference between getting stainless steel compared to mild steel?

Is it just that S.S will last longer or its better performance, i think i read somewhere on this forum that s.s is a bit lighter and gets the exhaust gasses out better????

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-2-1 headers, metal cat, 2.5 inch all the way though in stainless steel on my 1zz :D

just incase any one asks will it fit on my ascent!

Putting that on a 1zz is over kill. 2.25" tops unless you are doing a hell of a lot of internal work.

i think was preping him self for the S/C that is strapped to the side of the 1zz now.... :D

back to the topic, i'v spoken to a few exhaust places aswell, and afew of them actully said that alot of the cheap stuff will actully make your car go backwards in power...

so i think, regardless of what you get, spend your money on proven gains... dosen't matter whther its a CES or a redback...

How can freeing up the exhaust make negative power? Unless you make it outrageously large.

Edited by kevman77

you have so much to learn.....the 2zz needs backpressure, go and drop the rear muffler off your car and go for a drive and you will be amazed how much power and tourque you loose.

all depends on what part of the rev range you use and want to maximise.

For midrange torque though, yes you need the backpressure, but if you are looking at running at peek revs all the time, like on the track then the less restriction the better. But even then you need the exhaust tuned to the right frequency range (ie the correct length and diameter) to maximise the harmonics of the entire system at the rev range you most wish to use.

you have so much to learn.....the 2zz needs backpressure, go and drop the rear muffler off your car and go for a drive and you will be amazed how much power and tourque you loose.

all depends on what part of the rev range you use and want to maximise.

For midrange torque though, yes you need the backpressure, but if you are looking at running at peek revs all the time, like on the track then the less restriction the better. But even then you need the exhaust tuned to the right frequency range (ie the correct length and diameter) to maximise the harmonics of the entire system at the rev range you most wish to use.

i was refering to street use, not track hehe.

Whats the difference between getting stainless steel compared to mild steel?

Is it just that S.S will last longer or its better performance, i think i read somewhere on this forum that s.s is a bit lighter and gets the exhaust gasses out better????

The mild steel piping will look absolutely crap after a year or two. Similar to like old pipes left out in the rain, with the thin coat of rust. Go for SS with mandrel bends if you've got the $$$.

I'd like to invite all those with a 2.5" CES catback and who are not 1,000,000% happy with the gains to make a post now, im thinking we are going to hear the crickets.

All these places that claim that 2.5" is too big are talking out their *****....id say its because they dont have the skill & knowledge to design a system that works and dosent drone like a milo tin. Time and time again these places claim to know what they are talking about and CES is still the only system with proven gains accross the board.

You called?

I'd like to invite all those with a 2.5" CES catback and who are not 1,000,000% happy with the gains to make a post now, im thinking we are going to hear the crickets.

All these places that claim that 2.5" is too big are talking out their *****....id say its because they dont have the skill & knowledge to design a system that works and dosent drone like a milo tin. Time and time again these places claim to know what they are talking about and CES is still the only system with proven gains accross the board.

You called?

what story do you hae for us about your CES? i am very interested.

Hey guys, Just got quoted $550 catback from both Liverpool exhaust and westside mufflers in padstow. Anyone got any experience with either?

2.5" s.s is all i could remember. But pretty much the same from them both.

Edited by CME-LFT

well my car gained 9kw atw (car totally stock) with the addition of a CES catback. Improved the performance of the car right through the rev range.

Fastest N/A Sportivo in Australia ran a CES catback as well.....

• 1 month later...

Well guys i got my exhaust done, ended up taking everyones advice and got 2.5in cat back, with a dual tip xforce muffler. Looks nice, a bit loud(not cannon loud) but no droning which is what i was worried about (it purrs now)

Definently more torquing, i noticed when driving up a hill in 6th and she still wanted to climb without having to downshift, i havnt really pushed her yet to know if it goes any quicker but seeing as ive noticed the torque go up, no reason why it shouldnt be any faster through the revs.

Heres a pic of it at the workshop.

Sorry if its a bit blurry, its off my crappy phone

post-6799-1223287423_thumb.jpg

Well guys i got my exhaust done, ended up taking everyones advice and got 2.5in cat back, with a dual tip xforce muffler. Looks nice, a bit loud(not cannon loud) but no droning which is what i was worried about (it purrs now)

Definently more torquing, i noticed when driving up a hill in 6th and she still wanted to climb without having to downshift, i havnt really pushed her yet to know if it goes any quicker but seeing as ive noticed the torque go up, no reason why it shouldnt be any faster through the revs.

Heres a pic of it at the workshop.

Sorry if its a bit blurry, its off my crappy phone

looks great mate!

did you go press bent mild steel or mandrel bent 2.5" stainless steel?

That muffler was gonna be my 2nd choice if i couldnt get the Varex to fit!

You called?

I think he is referring to a dyno day, where another sportivo with a cai as the sole mod pulled the exact same figure as him. I've been told that micky_tee's AFR was much more healthy though.

You called?

I think he is referring to a dyno day, where another sportivo with a cai as the sole mod pulled the exact same figure as him. I've been told that micky_tee's AFR was much more healthy though.

Who? What?

And so Micky has spoken that he isn't 1,000% happy with the gains let alone 1,000,000%. Y ?

for all you Sydney peeps if you go to westside mufflers tell Brad the owner that i sent you. I know him and spoke to him on the weekend. he'll look after your car and does top rate work.

You called?

Who? What?

And so Micky has spoken that he isn't 1,000% happy with the gains let alone 1,000,000%. Y ?

AFR is still very important though. Good AFR > an extra couple of kw.

My problem wasnt that another car pulled the same dyno figure as me... I dont care about that, there's too many variables and I dont want to get into that argument.

I expressed my concerns based on my experiences with a particular product. Surprise Surprise, the thread I expressed my concerns in was deleted. So much for freedom of speech.

I will post it again because I dont think i am breaking any rules or even bad mouthing CES. These are my experiences, I'm not making these up. People have a right to know how the product performed on my car, as well as how it performs on all the QLD cars. So to those who missed out, here you go.

You continually state that no one who actually has a CES product fitted has a problem with it? Once again, I'll put my hand up. Here's my review on all things CES

As some of you know, years ago I bought a second hand CES exhaust (from Xoom) Fitted it up, some slight problems making it fit but nothing I couldnt handle. Biggest problem was the annoying noise the exhaust made, usually while cornering hard, but occasionally on roundabouts etc. I fixed this problem early one morning when I was overtaking a truck at 100km/h and the truck hit a kangaroo, flew through the air and landed in front of me, forcing me to drive over the top of it. Bent most of the exhaust brackets etc, so I got my mallet out and smacked them back into place, and surprisingly *thankfully* the noise went away. All in all, happy with the product. Sounds good most of the time, sometimes a little droning but better than a cannon or something cheap. As for Power, nothing that noticable, midrange torque was probably the best increase.

At the time I was running an AEM intake, and a few months later a second hand CES one came up for sale, so I thought why not. the CES intake is very heavy and harder to install than the AEM, but its much more steady in the car whilst moving. As for performance? Terrible. Absolutely Terrible. its been on for maybe 2 months, and i'm ready to take it off and go back to the AEM. The problem is that it is too big. Maybe its the right size in sunny QLD, but south of the border its way to big for a Corolla engine. My car continually stalls, splutters, and coughs, mainly when it is cold, but occasionally just for no apparent reason. For example, my car spluttered and coughed today and almost stalled on take off. Engine was warm and the temperature today was low 20's. It shouldnt do that. The AEM worked fine all the time, even when i have put my hand on the filter and pulled the ice off it.

So basically, sure CES works great up in QLD, but unfortunately is not the best product in the different climate in the ACT. And im sure the same applies to Melb. So, QLDers, if you are about to hate me like you hate the Melb people who also complained about CES products, go right ahead. You can continually argue that your tests have shown how much better it is, but that only applies to QLD.

So as an independant review

- Exhaust good, needs modification to make it fit otherwise it will annoy the **** out of you.

- CES intake good in QLD, crappy in colder climates. Stick with a smaller intake.

So we will see how long this post lasts... Sorry to the original poster for ruining your thread.

Yo mickee, you a mod too. Can't u UN-Delete?

My problem wasnt that another car pulled the same dyno figure as me... I dont care about that, there's too many variables and I dont want to get into that argument.

I expressed my concerns based on my experiences with a particular product. Surprise Surprise, the thread I expressed my concerns in was deleted. So much for freedom of speech.

I will post it again because I dont think i am breaking any rules or even bad mouthing CES. These are my experiences, I'm not making these up. People have a right to know how the product performed on my car, as well as how it performs on all the QLD cars. So to those who missed out, here you go.

You continually state that no one who actually has a CES product fitted has a problem with it? Once again, I'll put my hand up. Here's my review on all things CES

As some of you know, years ago I bought a second hand CES exhaust (from Xoom) Fitted it up, some slight problems making it fit but nothing I couldnt handle. Biggest problem was the annoying noise the exhaust made, usually while cornering hard, but occasionally on roundabouts etc. I fixed this problem early one morning when I was overtaking a truck at 100km/h and the truck hit a kangaroo, flew through the air and landed in front of me, forcing me to drive over the top of it. Bent most of the exhaust brackets etc, so I got my mallet out and smacked them back into place, and surprisingly *thankfully* the noise went away. All in all, happy with the product. Sounds good most of the time, sometimes a little droning but better than a cannon or something cheap. As for Power, nothing that noticable, midrange torque was probably the best increase.

At the time I was running an AEM intake, and a few months later a second hand CES one came up for sale, so I thought why not. the CES intake is very heavy and harder to install than the AEM, but its much more steady in the car whilst moving. As for performance? Terrible. Absolutely Terrible. its been on for maybe 2 months, and i'm ready to take it off and go back to the AEM. The problem is that it is too big. Maybe its the right size in sunny QLD, but south of the border its way to big for a Corolla engine. My car continually stalls, splutters, and coughs, mainly when it is cold, but occasionally just for no apparent reason. For example, my car spluttered and coughed today and almost stalled on take off. Engine was warm and the temperature today was low 20's. It shouldnt do that. The AEM worked fine all the time, even when i have put my hand on the filter and pulled the ice off it.

So basically, sure CES works great up in QLD, but unfortunately is not the best product in the different climate in the ACT. And im sure the same applies to Melb. So, QLDers, if you are about to hate me like you hate the Melb people who also complained about CES products, go right ahead. You can continually argue that your tests have shown how much better it is, but that only applies to QLD.

So as an independant review

- Exhaust good, needs modification to make it fit otherwise it will annoy the **** out of you.

- CES intake good in QLD, crappy in colder climates. Stick with a smaller intake.

So we will see how long this post lasts... Sorry to the original poster for ruining your thread.

Micky you are alive! Was beginning to think you didn't come home from NZ LOL. :lol:

What thread got deleted? If you have thread title i'll look for it if it's around but I for one certainly don't recall doing it. That's the first time I have read your reply. Interesting.....

for all you Sydney peeps if you go to westside mufflers tell Brad the owner that i sent you. I know him and spoke to him on the weekend. he'll look after your car and does top rate work.

Yes Brad is a champion at Westside. When I had my stivo i got my CES headers installed there and my 3 different exhausts setups done there as well.

Yes Brad is a champion at Westside. When I had my stivo i got my CES headers installed there and my 3 different exhausts setups done there as well.

3 systems. can u tell us what they were and which one u have found best?