Parking sensors for Kluger KX-S

kemil

Hello forum, I am new to this message board and I will be the happy owner of a KX-S in the first week of September.

I am currently looking at the options the I really need and I came across the parking sensors. Are the parking sensors really needed given that the vehicle comes with reverse camera ? As I am writing from Europe I can not test drive the vehicle myself yet.

Thank you for such a great forum with plenty of usefull information.

I find these sensors are very nesessary (even with the bigger Grande camera) - lost count when these beeps were saving my rear end. Get them on.

Hello forum, I am new to this message board and I will be the happy owner of a KX-S in the first week of September.

I am currently looking at the options the I really need and I came across the parking sensors. Are the parking sensors really needed given that the vehicle comes with reverse camera ? As I am writing from Europe I can not test drive the vehicle myself yet.

Thank you for such a great forum with plenty of usefull information.

The Leader of the Opposition felt she needed rear sensors so we got them this week, something else to beep at me.

Something I didn't think of til after the fact was whether they will beep at me in reverse with a trailer or van on.

• 3 months later...

Just had my 20,000 km service and finally got around to asking about turning off the rear sensors while towing a van/trailer etc.

Well, the guys at my dealer had no idea, but one guy got on the phone and the other on the computer. Answer was the no cut off as such, but the speaker itself has a high/low/OFF switch. So they were able to show me the panel in the back to take off and then you follow a wire up to the speaker and feel for the switch.

A bit of a pain but I tow a bit and the beeping was driving me crazy, so the speaker is now on low (which is still very audible) and when I go out this afternoon to get some brickies sand I can turn it off. :)

Just had my 20,000 km service and finally got around to asking about turning off the rear sensors while towing a van/trailer etc.

Well, the guys at my dealer had no idea, but one guy got on the phone and the other on the computer. Answer was the no cut off as such, but the speaker itself has a high/low/OFF switch. So they were able to show me the panel in the back to take off and then you follow a wire up to the speaker and feel for the switch.

A bit of a pain but I tow a bit and the beeping was driving me crazy, so the speaker is now on low (which is still very audible) and when I go out this afternoon to get some brickies sand I can turn it off. :)

That is strange. I thought the rear reverse sensor only activate in the case of reversing???

Yes, but it beeps all the time when reversing the trailer... which is not a bad thing IMHO (does not let you forget the trailer is there)

That is strange. I thought the rear reverse sensor only activate in the case of reversing???

Yes, only when reversing the trailer/van/boat , also when you are reversing onto the towball. And it's not a gentle beep.... beep.....beep, it's screaming at you that your about to hit something, very distacting when backing into a tight spot.

• 1 month later...
I have front and rear sensors on both cars. I think they are very useful, but the front are more usefull than the rears.

They are around $1000 for front and rear fitted. I would definitely get both.

Anyone on Brissie had these done? I want to have them installed on my Grande and Toyotahave quoted $1300. Is this a good price or can I do better? Do they integrate into the system?

cheers

abk

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone on Brissie had these done? I want to have them installed on my Grande and Toyotahave quoted $1300. Is this a good price or can I do better? Do they integrate into the system?

cheers

abk

What's the advantage of the dealer parking sensors???

I'm from Brissie and probably getting a KX-S very soon. I'm also wondering about the parking sensors. $900 seems a bit expensive (that's what the dealer quoted me front and back). Aren't the dealer sensors just vanila after market parking sensors anyway? Any benefit in getting from the dealer over somewhere like expresstinting?? I'm probably gonna get side step and tinting from another autoshop rather than the dealer since I can't see any benefit in paying extra to get it from the dealer. In fact if you just get some sensors fitted from an autoshop you probably have more flexibility (can turn them off, adjust them etc) and they're cheaper.

I think the only difference is that the dealer ones are included in the new car warranty.

When I got my KX-S they installed aftermarket ones which had indicators as well as the beeps for the distance both front and reverse.

Also just to let you know my Rear sensors dont go off the towbar attached.

I had the dealer fit genuine Toyota reverse parking sensors on my KXR. There is a switch in the cargo section that allows me to turn off the sensors when towing .

There is a switch in the cargo section that allows me to turn off the sensors when towing .

Can you adjust the sensetivity/range? Most market sensors I've enquired about you can adjust the range from under 30cm to 2m (when it starts beeping).

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a new KX-S AWD plus front & rear parking sensors. After picking up the car i noticed that they replaced the down hill assist button which was next to the snow button with the front parking sensor button. There are a number of other blank buttons that they have could chosen but they to chose the connected DAC button. Clearly the installer was not very bright.

Has anyone else come accross this?

Not very keen on getting them to rip all the covers off again to fix this, but i guess there is no choice (although i'm unlikely to ever use the down hill assist button).

I purchased a new KX-S AWD plus front & rear parking sensors. After picking up the car i noticed that they replaced the down hill assist button which was next to the snow button with the front parking sensor button. There are a number of other blank buttons that they have could chosen but they to chose the connected DAC button. Clearly the installer was not very bright.

Has anyone else come accross this?

Not very keen on getting them to rip all the covers off again to fix this, but i guess there is no choice (although i'm unlikely to ever use the down hill assist button).

All my blanks were in use and the installer was smart enough to ask me where I wanted the switch put. He ended up cutting a hole in the panel where the seat heater controls are to install the switch. Looks good and works fine plus still have DAC.

Call the installer and ask him to do it properly.

I had the dealer fit genuine Toyota reverse parking sensors on my KXR. There is a switch in the cargo section that allows me to turn off the sensors when towing .

I have dealer fitted front and rear sensors - didn't get a manual with them!

Where abouts in the cargo section is the switch to turn off the sensor when towing???

Edited by kluger2

I have dealer fitted front and rear sensors - didn't get a manual with them!

Where abouts in the cargo section is the switch to turn off the sensor when towing???

I read in another forum somewhere that it is in behind one of the small panels that can be popped out either side of the tailgate.

It would have been nice for Toyota to add a dash switch for the rear sensors too, but then I guess they don't have too many blanks in the car.

IMHO getting reverse sensors is a must.. I've got both front and back but the front sensors only work on 2 points.. thus when parking it is useless as it wouldn't sense the distance between the front car or tow bar and yours. The only advantage is you will be able to get out of the lot without bumping on the car in front of you. After market sensors should work the same but better to be installed by reliable businesses. I think for the Brisbane boys, Northfield (Moorooka) knows their stuff well and they can blend the sensors into the colour of your car for an extra price.. My mate's put front and reverse cameras on his TRD Aurion (courtesy of Northfield) and together with his aftermarket head unit (Eclipse). I can do an intro for mate's rates for whoever is interested. I dont get any commission and the decision is entirely up to you. :whistling:

IMy mate's put front and reverse cameras on his TRD Aurion (courtesy of Northfield) and together with his aftermarket head unit (Eclipse). I can do an intro for mate's rates for whoever is interested. I dont get any commission and the decision is entirely up to you. :whistling:

I may be interested in a new head unit in a year or 2. Anyone know if it's possible for an auto electriican to to set up the KX-S display so that when you pres the disp button it will cycle through the reverse camera even when you're driving forward? When driving it can be difficult to see if someone is behind you with the revision mirror particularly at night if a sedan is tail gating you.

IMHO getting reverse sensors is a must.. I've got both front and back but the front sensors only work on 2 points.. thus when parking it is useless as it wouldn't sense the distance between the front car or tow bar and yours. The only advantage is you will be able to get out of the lot without bumping on the car in front of you.

I definitely have to agree with you there. Since having the front sensors installed I've really only been able to use them once, and have needed them several times but they were ineffective because they didn't have any range in front. I decided not to go with the rear sensors as I figured the camera would be sufficient. I still can't judge distances with it yet.